looking for info on the new Nissan oil filters and

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, we have recently got back into a Nissan. I`ve come across some good threads on the new oil filters, they changed manufacturers, and I`m looking for more info on the filters and Nissan`s brand Ester oil. I`ve searched and going thru pages of non topic posts didn`t tell me what I`d like to learn.

In our last nissan`s
2005 Xterra 4.0L
2009 Altima 2.5L
2009 Versa 1.9L

If memory serves me I used 5W30 anywhere from a good dino oil to synthetic.

when it comes to synthetics I have been using Amsoil XL series for a long time.
I currently use the XL 0W20 in the FJ cruiser with OEM filters.

would it be a safe bet using the new Nissan filters with XL 5W30?

Thanks and appreciate the feedback!
cool.gif

I bought a Nissan filter from the dealer for my Pathfinder and also a Hengst from EuroCarParts.

Both appeared solid and well built and are expected to last 18k miles as that is the service interval in the UK.

I have used 5w30 by Various manufacturers but have now settled on Mobil Super 3000 X1 FE for my 2.5 diesel.

I wouldn't personally use a 20w but that is purely a personal thing possibly due to being UK based.

But i did get a slight improvement in fuel consumption after putting in the Mobil Super as it is an A5/B5 low HTHS oil for fuel economy, did check it was fine with a Workshop Manual first.

A whole 0.5mpg better.

But better than nothing in the diesel drinker.

Nissan filters (at least the ones I have cut open for my (now sold) 2010 Altima 2.5s and my uncles '13 Altima 2.5 are small, paper end capped (which isnt the end of the world) and hard to find efficiency spec's on. I always had more luck with after market filters M1, K&N, P1/Puro Classic 14610 which is a slightly larger more efficient filter than the Nissan equivalent P14612. I have never used the Nissan "ester oil" but I have never ran into anyone who thought it was worth the money as it tends to give no wear benefits. The 2.5 isnt picky on oil though the 3.5 is a known shearer so I would use a 5w30 syn or even M1 0w40. Lets face it though, you have to try to screw up those engines and it still isnt easy. I love Nissan's.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Nissan filters (at least the ones I have cut open for my (now sold) 2010 Altima 2.5s and my uncles '13 Altima 2.5 are small, paper end capped (which isnt the end of the world) and hard to find efficiency spec's on. I always had more luck with after market filters M1, K&N, P1/Puro Classic 14610 which is a slightly larger more efficient filter than the Nissan equivalent P14612. I have never used the Nissan "ester oil" but I have never ran into anyone who thought it was worth the money as it tends to give no wear benefits. The 2.5 isnt picky on oil though the 3.5 is a known shearer so I would use a 5w30 syn or even M1 0w40. Lets face it though, you have to try to screw up those engines and it still isnt easy. I love Nissan's.

bigjl and Chubbs, thanks.
I really like the 4.0 V6 in the frontier. I`m not sure if there is a drastic weight different between the crew cab Frontier and our modded FJ cruiser. The Frontier crew cab has a higher towing capacity, trans cooler, and oil cooler which the yota does not. I had to add in a true cooler trans cooler to the FJ.

anyway, this 4.0 runs remarkably quick. I can`t wait to try it out for towing the boat when the engine gets some more mileage on it...

I hear there is a new company making the filters for OEM nissan now, so I`ll give them a shot and have them on hand along with Amsoil XL...
I have Dual VVT in the Yota and required to run the 0W20, and no issues so far with 26xxx on the clock... I just service it @ 5K OCI`s and call it a day. I plan to do the same with the Frontier...
I can`t admit this on the cruiser boards, but I`m half tempted to get back into an Xterra in leu of the FJ. stadium seating, 4 actual doors, could be a possibility.

I`m hoping Nissan got past the radiator/trans cooler issue after the class action suit, and hope they resolved this for the newer year rigs...

Thanks guys!

I just traded my '13 Versa with the HR16 engine for a '13 Sentra using the all new MRA8 engine, both seem to use the same tiny filter.

I'd like to know more about the OEM Nissan oil and filters as well because I a DIY kinda guy but my dealer gave me 1 year free maintenance and tire rotations so I'm wanting to take them up on it but hesitant, I hate others touching my cars!

FWIW my Versa called for 5w30 and the new Sentra calls for 0w20. I'd really like to know what Nissan is going to pump in it...

The Nissan OEM ones for my car are the huge blue ones that are built like a tank,and made in Japan.

Different Nissan but I've been using the P1 14610 in 10 Armada for nearly 60k miles now with M1 5-30 and UOA's have been excellent. I used K&N for first few oil changes but P1 cheaper and after cutting the 2 open and comparing after 7500k there was no visible difference. P1 it has been since.

Last edited:
My old ka24e always ticked with anything but a Nissan filter. I won't use anything else now.

on the versa and Altima I used MANN, Purolator, Wix, and a few Fram`s. I had a few left over from the Xterra and used them on the Altima, they were just a bit longer... no issues...

ordered the Amsoil XL 5W30 and waiting on sourcing for the filters...

I've used 10 straight Nissan filters on my M35 with no issues. Now I'm using Union filters made in Asia, not China. Like Nippon, they are very solid. Many Nissan models share the same filter. My applications are:

Baldwin B1400
Beck Arnley 041-8136
Bosch 3300
Casite CF113
Champion PH2876
Denso 150-1008
Full W0133-1800054
Hastings LF113
K&N PS-1008
Mann ML1014
Motorcraft FL-816
Nippon W0133-1800054
Nippon W0133-1834077
Purolator Pure One PL14612
Ultra-8 3611307(sold at NAPA)
Union C-218
Wix 51358

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PaleRider
when it comes to synthetics I have been using Amsoil XL series for a long time.

It seems the filters have improved over the years. I actually have never tried an OEM filter yet, but if it were to turn out they were reasonably priced and the dealer had more sensible hours, I'd gladly use them.

Amsoil would serve you well, as would any SN/GF-5 5w-30 out there. I'd avoid the Nissan Ester Oil. That stuff is way too expensive for essentially no measurable benefit. Considering Nissan's relatively short severe service intervals, there isn't a big incentive for using their expensive ester oil, or too much on other synthetics, for that matter. If it were me and I were to choose between Amsoil (any of their product line) or the ester oil, I'd likely choose the Amsoil in a heartbeat.

The new Nissan filters seem pretty durable and are a step up from the previous ones. Looking forward to trying one on my I35's next OCI.

I would like to give one a shot one of these days, price permitting. But, the way things get rolled out in Canada, we're probably two generations behind with respect to dealership stock.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
............Now I'm using Union filters made in Asia, not China. .................

China is in Asia.

well the filter are on the way from Courtesy Nissan. I`ll see what they sent me and hope it is new stock and not the old stock, who knows???

I`m guessing I should leave the Nissan Ester oil (if that is what`s really in there)for 3k miles?

any suggestions?

Thanks...

Originally Posted By: PaleRider
well the filter are on the way from Courtesy Nissan. I`ll see what they sent me and hope it is new stock and not the old stock, who knows???

I`m guessing I should leave the Nissan Ester oil (if that is what`s really in there)for 3k miles?

any suggestions?

Thanks...

I'd suggest waiting as you think, not sure what is factory fill. While many manufacturers do NOT put a break in oil, some do. I think it's wise to not immediately dump the oil that comes with a car.

Last edited:
I have an 05 fronty and it only likes OEM filters, I've tried others but my engine sounds and feels better with the nissan filter! I'm not sure why ??? But it is a very well built filter... I use Dino and change it every 4k miles, never had an issue with nissan filter and I have 89,000 miles on it

Ok, just received my box of 10 filters and they are indeed made in mexico, part number 15208-9E01A

but the company forgot the pak of 10 sealing washers, ooof, one call took care of that...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back