Toilet Paper Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been wondering many years about toilet paper filters. My father told me one time that they were the best kind of filter that you can use. Does anyone have any info about using such a system. I was thinking that they can fall apart and really make a mess of things.
I'm new to this site so if there are some older posts about it can someone direct me there?

Usted sabe grasiento, le deseo pondría en el Info verdadero en cuanto a donde usted está y lo que usted lo hace. Hace a tablero realmente mucho mejor tener gente que no juegue juegos. He estado intentando calcular fuera de cuáles es el "Un Descrasio" pero le sospecho lo tengo mis deletreado.

Nos pienso puedo todo apreciar a mujeres como siendo un interés que vive abajo aquí en la Florida, realmente gozo del trabajo de arte hermoso que la mujer tiene encendido cuando intentan encendido ese bikiní nuevo. De todas formas, recepción al tablero y si usted , por favor decirme donde en qué área le localizan y cuál es el descrasio del un. Grazias. Bob

I'm suddenly craving Taco Bell!
tongue.gif

There are probably at least two manufacturers of toilet paper bypass oil filters. One of them is a big manufacturer (I think their name is Gulf Coast but I cannot remember exactly).

Believe or not, there is still a woman selling the oil toilet paper bypass oil filter that was available many, many years ago (and I can't remember that name off hand either-it was somewhat well known for a while). Her father was selling it and when he died she took over. It was a fairly well known name in bypass oil filters many, many years ago.

I have never used one myself. If I was going to buy a bypass oil filter I would probably get one from Amsoil. I talked to a mechanic about bypass oil filters and he told me that bypass oil filters are great for removing particles and stuff in the oil, but most cannot remember acids and other chemical contamination. He said that they work on semi-trucks because the trucks are always run enough to burn off the chemcial contamination. But on cars and other vehicles that often are not driven too far, the chemical contamination builds up. He said that frequent oil changes were better. Also, there is not enough room in these small cars to put a bypass oil filter.

They work as claimed. I ran a Frantz toilet paper filter on an 85 Subaru turbo (oil cooled) and changed the paper filter every 2000 to 3000 miles and added a quart of oil, and changed the regular filter every six months. I ran it with the by-pass for 100k+ and drained all the oil only once to change brands.

With out the by-pass I was advised to change the oil every 2,000 miles because the turbo had proven to be extremely hard on the oil.

The directions from Frantz were to change the filter at 3,000 miles, so I went with changing it every 2,000 because of the turbo. It also gave me 6 quarts of oil in a 5 quart stock system.

The engine and turbo were still going at 10 years and 140k, but the rest of the car was in tough shape.

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
Usted sabe grasiento, le deseo pondría en el Info verdadero en cuanto a donde usted está y lo que usted lo hace. Hace a tablero realmente mucho mejor tener gente que no juegue juegos. He estado intentando calcular fuera de cuáles es el "Un Descrasio" pero le sospecho lo tengo mis deletreado.

Nos pienso puedo todo apreciar a mujeres como siendo un interés que vive abajo aquí en la Florida, realmente gozo del trabajo de arte hermoso que la mujer tiene encendido cuando intentan encendido ese bikiní nuevo. De todas formas, recepción al tablero y si usted , por favor decirme donde en qué área le localizan y cuál es el descrasio del un. Grazias. Bob

The only thing I understood there was Florida and bikini! That's all I need!
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:

The only thing I understood there was Florida and bikini! That's all I need!
tongue.gif

I understood thank you.
grin.gif
I should do a better job at learning a second language. Here where I live, the migrant workers are plentifull and so my small town is more from south of the boarder. We got some killer real Mexican food, not Taco Bell at all.
smile.gif

Forgot to mention one of the original "toliet paper filter manufacturers. My opinion is that Gulf Coast oil filter improved the design of the Frantz by making toliet paper change out much easier.

[ June 27, 2003, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

The bad rap on the actual TP filters was that if conditions allowed water buildup in the oil, the filter would start to disintegrate and clog the bearing passages with fibers. I have been told that this was rare but if it happens your all done.

Many bypass filters available. If RalphPWood shows up on this thread, he can make some info available.

Others are:

GULF COAST
FRANTZ
OILGUARD
MOTORGUARD

The diesel pickup crowd usually has a lot of info on their forums.

I agree with your Father, they are the best kind of filter you can use. On the down side:

1) Where are you going to mount it? On most cars there just simply is no room for it.
2) Up front costs require you to keep your vehicle long enough to break even.
3) Frequent changes, every 3000 miles.
4) You do have to keep an eye on it to make sure it's not leaking or a hose is rubbing on something.

Once it is paid for and installed it's great. Yes it's messy, but you can change the filter quicker than you can change the oil, and you don't have to worry about the drain plug getting stripped or forgotten.

I now have an Amsoil dual by-pass filter on my truck and the two filters are an easy reach under the front bumber. It'll be a quick and easy change, and the new one will go on 3/4 full with new oil.

The oil does not drain out when I shut off the engine and I can now run 8 quarts of expensive oil.

Hi,

Your father was right. In 1963 I was working in a full service gas station in California. I checked the oil in an old Cadillac. I said I see you just changed oil. He said something like yes about 100,000 miles ago. He pointed to a Frantz oil cleaner and said if you had one of those and Delo 100 your engine wouldn't wear out and you wouldn't need to change your oil. I found a Frantz dealer and put one on my Rambler American. I was already using Delo 100 30 wt. My oil went from black to clear in a day or so. I was hooked.
When Motor Guard came out in 1966 I signed up as a dealer. Motor Guard learned that to stay in business they had to stop trying to sell filters to people that have been taught that oil is supposed to get dirty. They went to a special element and concentrated on things like vacuum pump oil, ION implantation, plasma etching, low pressure chemical vapor deposition systems, instrumentation, compressed air, etc.
About 15 years ago I was asked what we could do about oil and moisture in the air causing problems with our expensive instrumentation and pneumatic controllers. My wife checked on the Internet and found Motor Guard. That got me employee of the month and employee of the year.
I called Motor Guard about a year ago and told them to send me 12 automotive filters. The secretary said do you mean compressed air for spray painting in a body shop. I finally got the President of the company. He remembered the lube oil filters. I had to toss the polypropylene seals designed for their special elements and install Depont Delrin seals. I had to install an orifice. I am thinking about adding a sintered bronze secondary filter for people that are concerned that paper fibers might get into the oil. I just sent one to Florida with a secondary filter.
The industrial filters are beefed up and have an epoxy coating. Their special elements are similar to what they make coffee filters out of. They work fine but the polyethylene core has a 175 degree F limit. After 40 years of using toilet paper I'm not going to change. I need to find a use for these expensive elements that I am piling up. I can remove the plastic core and install a TP core. The special elements make a wonderful fuel filter.
Gulf Coast down at Gulfport, MS does a lot of military business. The government is using the filters to cut down on waste of natural resources. General Motors has a paper towel filter now that they offer as optional equipment. Some government agencies are requiring the filters installed on delivery. I got an email from a truck dealership in Florida. They said they were submitting a bid to the space program and the filters are required. Toilet paper filters for the hydraulics and cooling system. Paper towel filters for the lube oil and fuel. Toilet paper filters have always been good for a joke or BS story. These days a lot of people are not laughing.
One filter company claims to have an advanced element. I've never seen one. I have seen ratings on them in some military literature. Someone on a boating forum cut open an element. Inside they found a roll of toilet paper. The trick is to find an element that works as good as toilet paper that you can call something else. All of these types of filters will get the job done.
A guy in Minnesota had some Motor Guard's still in the box from a VW repair business he sold 30 years ago. I traded him a M-30 set up for fuel for one of the M-100's. He needed to filter cooking oil to burn in his VW diesel. I needed the instructions. You do what you gotta do.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Want to see something funny? Here is how AltaVista's Babelfish translation sight translated Bob's Spanish:

You know grasiento, desire would put to him in the true Info as far as where you are and what you do it. It makes to board really far better have people who do not play games. I have been trying to calculate outside which it is "a Descrasio" but I suspect to him I have spelled my. I think to us I can everything appreciate women like being an interest that lives down here in Florida, really joy of the work of beautiful art that the woman has ignition when they try ignition that new bikiní. In any case, reception to the board and if you, please to say to me where in what area locates to him and which is descrasio of.

You have to love these kinds of "translations" lol

Ciao,
Les

quote:

Originally posted by dickwells:
The bad rap on the actual TP filters was that if conditions allowed water buildup in the oil, the filter would start to disintegrate and clog the bearing passages with fibers. I have been told that this was rare but if it happens your all done.

I have used the Frantz TP filters for filtering the coolant on 2 trucks. No problem with paper migitation. I have also used the Frantz TP filters for fuel filters on both gas and diesel filter. I am presently using a Gulf Coast 01 bypass filter on my 95 PSD which uses Paper Towels. Also holds 5 Quarts of oil so it increases the oil capacity from 15 quarts to 20. This filter can be changed every 10K. The Gulf Coast 01 Jr is the TP filter and is very effective with 3K filter changes. The cellulose will hold 4 ounces of water in the filter when used in an engine oil or transmission oil system.

[ June 27, 2003, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

I had the Frantz TP filters on an 88 and 89 GMC 350 engines. The Frantz TP filter only came as one configuration for oil. You drill out the return line of the filter base. The same for the fuel. I have since sold both these vehicles and now have 2 PSD diesels. I have not installed any filters on the coolant on these yet.

Ralph Wood, one of our site sponsors has modified a TP Motor Guard for use as a coolant filter. His post is above and you can e-mail him for detailed instructions and info. I am certain that he is using one on his Toyota Camry, but this is from memory and he will correct me if I am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back