Spring Clamp or Screw Clamp for Radiator Hoses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your OE radiator hose clamps are the spring type, is it ok to substitute with a screw type clamp? Are the OE spring clamps considered to be reusable?

I've always heard that the spring type will retain proper tension across the FULL RANGE of ambient temperatures and engine coolant temps, whereas the worm gear types will not. (Can anyone confirm or refute this?)

The problem is, the dealers will not sell them, the auto parts chains DO NOT carry them, and cannot get them, so you are stuck with Amazon/ebay.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
If your OE radiator hose clamps are the spring type, is it ok to substitute with a screw type clamp? Are the OE spring clamps considered to be reusable?

Spring clamps are reusable and superior in every way to screw clamps.
Screw clamps are one of the worst thing ever brought to market IMO, they should only be used in a pinch until either a correct size spring or constant tension clamp can be found.

Screw clamps do not maintain constant tension on the hose, the issue is as temperature drops they have a tendency to leak because of tension loss requiring further tightening of the clamp.
This eventually leads to the clamp digging into the hose deeper and deeper, it may even appear to pop through the slots in the clamp.

This leads to structural damage of the hose at the clamp and eventually a blow out.

Full agreement with Trav. Spring clamps are reusable and work the best.

Amongst the best design was Chrysler's Corbin clamp used in the 1970s for creating a full circle even tension.However being so narrow,they also dug into hoses deeply damaging them so they couldnt be re-used (the hoses).

During the bitter cold of winter I've always seen a rash of posts from people complaining about leaky coolant. This is because materials such as aluminum and rubber shrink away from steel worm clamps. Spring clamps don't have this problem.

Search McMaster-Carr for "Constant-Tension Worm-Drive Clamps for Soft Hose and Tube"
These are the solution. I have to change my 2.7 water outlet AGAIN and I'm ordering some of these for when I do it.

Last edited:
One of the things I've learned is that aluminum moves a lot when heat cycled. When I take a hose off, I goop the inside of the hose and the nipple with Permatex #2 Aviation formagasket. It helps with corrosion and seepage. Gear clamps need constant attention. Jeeps and lawn mowers favor spring clamps. The Rat has spring clamps, I will re-use them if I can.

Worm clamps can be over tightened on plastic radiator parts. Spring clamps are ideal from what I gather.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
I can't think of a case where OEM uses screw clamps

Volvo does a lot, at least they did on my R car. Although they seemed to be of a lot higher quality than the regular worm type you would find in a parts house.

Originally Posted By: JZiggy
Full agreement with Trav. Spring clamps are reusable and work the best.

When I look in my Subaru factory service manual, fasteners and gaskets that are not reusable are marked with a large asterisk, and none of the cooling system spring clamps are marked that way. So Subaru considers them to be reusable.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
During the bitter cold of winter I've always seen a rash of posts from people complaining about leaky coolant. This is because materials such as aluminum and rubber shrink away from steel worm clamps. Spring clamps don't have this problem.

Hmmmmmm. Back in August of 2012 I replaced the thermostat on my Subaru, and used screw clamps on the bottom radiator hose. And just recently with the onset of cold weather, I have observed coolant not maintaining its level in the overflow tank.

Originally Posted By: 74DartSport
Search McMaster-Carr for "Constant-Tension Worm-Drive Clamps for Soft Hose and Tube"
These are the solution. I have to change my 2.7 water outlet AGAIN and I'm ordering some of these for when I do it.

Good find! The clamps also meet SAEJ1508:
"This SAE Standard covers thirty-two (32) types of clamps most commonly and suitably being used on OEM coolant, fuel, oil, vacuum, and emission systems. This document is compiled for the specific purpose of describing the basic characteristics and minimum performance requirements recommended by the manufacturers."

http://standards.sae.org/j1508_199708/

http://www.mcmaster.com/#worm-drive-clamps-for-soft-hose/=p860t3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back