All about 2006 Accord ATF drain and refill

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Im going to attempt to drain and refill the Accord at 120K miles. I have a general idea how to do it but dont have the tools, and dont know what tools I need to buy to get the job done. How many quarts of DW-1 will I need (exact number if possible). What type of funnel? What tool and size do I need to loosen the drain plug? And does it have a crush washer? If so what size? Any tips and all info needed here, thanks in advance. I keep hearing its "easier than an oil change", so instead of paying the dealer $100 I figured I would try it myself.

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
3 L
Transmission fluid funnel
3/8" drive socket wrench or similar
Yes
14mm

*Not responsible for any errors*

Does DW-1 come in liters or quarts? If liters then I need to buy 4 quarts because I would need 3.17 quarts to equal 3 liters. Is 14mm the same crush washer size as the engine oil drain plug? Can anyone else chime in to confirm?

Originally Posted By: redhat
Comes in quarts at your dealer. Crush washer should be the same size.

Ok so can you confirm if the refill amount is 3 quarts or 3 liters?

Is this going to be the first time the transmission fluid has been changed out? Depending on how long it's been, I might recommend more than a single drain/fill. If it hasn't been done in the last 30K miles, I myself would do three drains/fills with a bit of driving between each.

In terms of how much fluid, have some extra on hand. Measure what comes out, put that back in, and then check for proper level and add some if needed.

I'm sure it comes in liters in Canada.
You'll need a bit less than 3 qts for each drain and fill.
Honda recommends that you do four drain and fills if this car is still on its original fluid. If you don't know the car's maintenance history, that's what I'd do.
Google "curryacuraparts.com".
I'm not giving you the link since it would be a violation of forum rules to do so for a commercial entity that isn't a sponsor.
They'll sell you a case of twelve quarts of Acura labeled DW-1 for $77.04 including shipping. The same fluid with a Honda label is ten or fifteen cents more per quart, oddly enough.
I bought a case from them back in August.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Is this going to be the first time the transmission fluid has been changed out? Depending on how long it's been, I might recommend more than a single drain/fill. If it hasn't been done in the last 30K miles, I myself would do three drains/fills with a bit of driving between each.

In terms of how much fluid, have some extra on hand. Measure what comes out, put that back in, and then check for proper level and add some if needed.

It got a new transmission at 100K miles. I do 1 year 10K miles drain and refills at the dealer, but looking into doing them myself from here on out.

How much does your manual say? Buy that plus an extra quart. Fill and check dipstick.

Okay, gotcha.
I might do more than one drain and fill just to clear the breakin debris out of this new tranny.
They are really easy to do and the tool requirement is no more than a 3/8" ratchet handle, flex handle or breaker bar, as GSCR pointed out above, along with a long funnel and a drain pan, of course.
If you plan on doing this every 10K, it might pay you to order a case online cheaply, even if you'll only do one drain and fill each time.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: GSCJR
3 L
Transmission fluid funnel
3/8" drive socket wrench or similar
Yes
14mm

*Not responsible for any errors*

Does DW-1 come in liters or quarts? If liters then I need to buy 4 quarts because I would need 3.17 quarts to equal 3 liters. Is 14mm the same crush washer size as the engine oil drain plug? Can anyone else chime in to confirm?

It comes in quarts at US dealers, but liters if you happen to be in Canada and can find a Canadian dealer. Some posted this to another thread:

Image223.jpg

Also - no Honda automatic transmission has used a 14mm drain bolt/washer in over 20 years. They're all 18mm now. The plug is part number 90081-PX4-003 (I just replaced one on my wife's Civic) and for many years it's pretty much the only automatic transmission drain plug Honda uses for any automatic; I bought the replacement at an Acura dealer. The Honda crush washer is part number 90471-PX4-000 and may come loose or in a bag. It fills through the dipstick tube in this model. Other models have fill plugs or dipstick/fill holes right in the transmission body.

My technique is typically to fill to less than the published fill amount - maybe 2-3/4 quarts instead of 2.9 in my case. Then I check to see where it is on the dipstick line. Being a little bit low isn't going to hurt the transmission and you can always top off later. If you overfill you're going to have one heck of a time removing the fluid, although being slightly over the max line isn't likely to hurt either. In your case I'd feel comfortable just filling it with 3 quarts and then seeing where it is after driving it around.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
So Im going to attempt to drain and refill the Accord at 120K miles. I have a general idea how to do it but dont have the tools, and dont know what tools I need to buy to get the job done. How many quarts of DW-1 will I need (exact number if possible). What type of funnel? What tool and size do I need to loosen the drain plug? And does it have a crush washer? If so what size? Any tips and all info needed here, thanks in advance. I keep hearing its "easier than an oil change", so instead of paying the dealer $100 I figured I would try it myself.

You can watch a video on it on You tube so easy.

Simply put search 2006 Honda accord ATF Change

here ill get you the video

Do you have V6 or 4 banger?

Ill get you both

here is a whole page loaded

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_qu...ube.ysTG1GqIkpY

but I like this one

2003-2007 Honda Accord Transmission drain and refill

This one is a 4 cylinder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9iwelVI7PQ

This guys video is awesomeeeeeeeeeee
shows you how to get it ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL OUT via cooler lines and only takes 15 minutes
I think its better then drain and fill b.c you get it all out of the Torch Converter

check it out

but remember YOU TUBE is your friend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsdPAadc9fY

Also all the hondas I have seen use a 3/8s ratchet with no socket on it.

You just plug the 3/8 ratchet right into drain plug and take it out.. also clean all the junk off it b.c it has a magnet

you will see in videos

its soooooooooo easy

Last edited:
If it hasn't been done (or even if it has been done) often the bolt/washer can be seized to the transmission body. I had a heck of a time pulling off the bolt on my wife's Civic. However, that was Honda's big F.U. to DIYers with the location of the drain bolt as well as a low clearance car.

When it finally loosens it happens immediately and you should be able to loosen the bolt by hand. It may sound like something snapped off. I don't use a torque wrench to tighten. I do it by feel. I just tighten until it won't go any more, but not with everything I've got.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
If it hasn't been done (or even if it has been done) often the bolt/washer can be seized to the transmission body. I had a heck of a time pulling off the bolt on my wife's Civic. However, that was Honda's big F.U. to DIYers with the location of the drain bolt as well as a low clearance car.

When it finally loosens it happens immediately and you should be able to loosen the bolt by hand. It may sound like something snapped off. I don't use a torque wrench to tighten. I do it by feel. I just tighten until it won't go any more, but not with everything I've got.

Yea on a few I had to actually use my FOOT and press hard with the wrench

Having just done this on ours as you know, the crush washer for the transmission was not the same as the oil.

Not sure if 2006 and 4-cylinder is the same boat or not. The dealer claimed it was the same as well...

Originally Posted By: cchase
Having just done this on ours as you know, the crush washer for the transmission was not the same as the oil.

Not sure if 2006 and 4-cylinder is the same boat or not. The dealer claimed it was the same as well...

I heard the V6 can only be filled via a fill bolt. Not sure if that's right. I thought there was a dipstick tube on the I4 and that's where most people fill.

I heard the V6 can only be filled via a fill bolt. Not sure if that's right. I thought there was a dipstick tube on the I4 and that's where most people fill.

There is a ATF Filler bolt but its hard to open and its DEEP

I just use a keychain funnel that I bought at the part store.

its very tiny and works perfect

here is a pic, it even has tiny lil holder so its fits in perfect in the dip stick tube
smile.gif

7a659614-db8a-408f-a03d-19a4fecae897.jpg

here is pics of the ATF Filler bolt

32329d1184635439-transmission-question-picture-001re.jpg

As you can see it says ATF on it

34143d1219940082-easy-diy-atf-fluid-change-pics-atf-fill-bolt.jpg

also as you can see just a 3/8 ratchet.. no socket needed

look

transmissioncooler1.jpg

Last edited:

There is a dipstick hole and a fill hole on the V6, but on most peoples cars the fill hole is replaced by a jet that was installed as part of a recall.

I filled through the dipstick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back