Shear Stability

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive a 7.3L powerstroke, which utilizes a a high pressure oil pump that is notorious for shearing oil.

I want to learn what makes an oil shear stable. I have googled what I can, but cant find much in the way of instruction, just product descriptions and the such.

Originally Posted By: Spooner65
I want to learn what makes an oil shear stable.

Quality oil bases and low amounts of viscosity index improvers.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Spooner65
I want to learn what makes an oil shear stable.

Quality oil bases and low amounts of viscosity index improvers.

This ^^^

No tribologist, but doesnt the same size molecules in synthetic oil help this too? I'm a cheap dino proponent, so I dont pay attention to this.
laugh.gif

Is there any good brand name 15W-40 diesel engine oil that will NOT do a good job in his 7.3? I think they all are formulated to work very well in that engine, very well in many other engines that use the engine oil as the hydraulic fluid in the injections system, and very well in many more engine designs.

Use the top brand name oil where you prefer the color of the label and sleep well. Your engine is well protected:
Chevron/Texaco
Shell/Pennz
ConocoPhillips76Kendall
Valvoline
ExxonMobil
etc., etc.

A 10w-30 is much more shear-stable in any HEUI system.
The shearing doesn't seem to hurt anything, but many of us have found that lighter oil definitely helps with cold starts.

5w-40 will also do the trick, just cost more. Also Chevron is offering a 5w-30 HDEO, I'm not sure if its even available yet but I have seen the advertisement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back