scoped .270 - What is it worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
My best friend's dad has a .270 that he doesn't use (just uses his 30-06) and it is one of about 15 guns he owns. When we were out blowing up hard drives last time he told me I should buy it off of him, but he didn't really have a price. It has a beautiful scope on it that he said cost him ~$500.00. Gun I believe is a Savage.

What would a gun like this be worth? It is in fantastic condition and would come with a small arsenal of ammo, as he tends to collect ammunition for every gun he owns.

I'm just not sure what is a fair amount to offer him for it. I was thinking $700.00, but is that low?

The newer savages are excellent guns. I have a .270 (Remington though) and love it, very versatile gun. Scopes are very expensive for the better ones, which sounds like he has on it. The newer savages are really good with the X bolt design. Depending on which model it is the gun itself could be worth 200-500. New range for these guns are $550-1300.

Depending on the scope and model, 700 is probably a decent price if it is a higher end xp bolt like the long range but the lower trophy hunters it all comes down to the actual scope and the model.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
which model is it? you need to know before you make an offer, also what brand scope?

I'll have to find out.

I'm interested in the gun, as I really want a precision rifle and this sounds like it fits the bill.

Don't know if. 270 is a precision rifle. No factory match ammo for it. I took a Remington 700sps tactical, bushnell 3200 elite and leupold mounts shooting m118lr. Sub 12 inch groups at 1000 yds. I had to put a choate ultimate sniper stock on it cause the factory stock was [censored]. .270= great hunting rifle, .308, .300 win mag and a few others are great precision rifles. To really step it up a bit slam a 5r barrel on that Remington.

I own several Savage rifles with the accutrigger and love them. I have one in 7mm08 and one .223. .270 would be a great deer rifle.

If the Savage your friend has, has the accutriger with a high quality scope go for it.

I guess I have to ask what you intend on using it for? Back in the day, I was s huge O'Connor fan. I owned a custom lightweight Model 700 with a stainless Shilen barrel in .270. It was my "woods" gun. I shot my first Moose with it about 300 miles North of Montreal. I also shot a huge Black Bear in Maine with the same gun. Both required multiple shots before going down.

Later on, I hunted out West and shot another Moose with my 300 Weatherby near Peace River in Alberta and a third in Maine. I also shot a Caribou in northern Quebec at long range. All went down with one shot. My point is more important than a good deal, do you have a use for it? IF you intend on hunting anything larger than deer, I would get all the gun you can handle. If you're going to hunt deer or have it just for fun, .270 is fun to shoot.

A .270 is lethal on hard drives. Recoil is relatively light with the 130 grain. Hold out for a trophy though, don't shoot the first one you see! Kind of an expensive plinker though. I used to reload ammo to keep costs down. I have to guess a box of 20 is easily north of $20, especially in Canada. If the Savage falls through I would look more in terms of a .223. Cheap to buy and reload, surplus ammo usually readily available. Much lighter on recoil

Originally Posted By: Russ300H
A .270 is lethal on hard drives. Recoil is relatively light with the 130 grain. Hold out for a trophy though, don't shoot the first one you see! Kind of an expensive plinker though. I used to reload ammo to keep costs down. I have to guess a box of 20 is easily north of $20, especially in Canada. If the Savage falls through I would look more in terms of a .223. Cheap to buy and reload, surplus ammo usually readily available. Much lighter on recoil

Recoil isn't a big issue, we used a 12 gauge last time, which I'm sure has a heavier punch.

I also have quite a bit of experience with a 30-30 lever action that my buddy and I used to plink with.

Ammo is about what you thought, a bit more than $20/20-round box, $23.00 for Winchester.

OK, it is a Savage 14/114 stainless. I'm thinking $700 is reasonable for it, as I can get it new for $719.99, minus the scope of course.

The latest NRA American Rifleman has a reduced-recoil .270 load listed that would be pleasant to shoot all day.....
It's hard to beat a Savage for accuracy right out of the box and if it has the Accutrigger, so much the better.

Good luck with your decision!

Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
The latest NRA American Rifleman has a reduced-recoil .270 load listed that would be pleasant to shoot all day.....
It's hard to beat a Savage for accuracy right out of the box and if it has the Accutrigger, so much the better.

Good luck with your decision!

This is apparently the gun:

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/14ACStainless

I think $700 with the scope is a very good price. Naturally, it would depend on what kind of scope but any name brand should do that rifle/caliber combo justice.

If the rifle is as nice as it sounds (and I'm sure it is!) I'd probably go for it.....it appears if new and with a fairly decent scope, you'd be in it for almost $1k.

A .270 is a great all-around caliber....flat shooting, managable recoil (130's, as mentioned, are very managable) and enough bullet weights available to keep it interesting. For target shooting, long ranges would be a blast! Much more comfortable shooting than a .30-06 IMO....I have both but my .270 would be my go-to rifle for long range work.

Last edited:
Getting it for $750.

Scope is a Simmons White Tail WTC-23, has flip-up caps on it. Gun also comes with several boxes of ammo.

Will post some pics of it later in the week.

I've read some mixed reviews on the Simmons scopes, but this one is older and appears to be of good quality. Guess we'll see once I try it out, LOL
smile.gif

Sounds like you did ok to me and I like Simmons scopes...I have a 4x on my TC Contender (hand gun scope) and its at least 20 years old with no issues.

Paid for it last night:

Savage14-01.jpg

Don't know why I thought it was stainless, lol!

From the horse's mouth, it has had at MOST one box of ammo through it.

Came with 10 full boxes of ammunition too, which I thought was a pretty good deal
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back