So how important is micron rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an '02 Envoy that I've had since the showroom. She has 205k on her, uses dino, and get her oil changed at about 5-6k miles.

Midas has a special of 19.99 for oil change and tire rotation. They use Valvoline oil, so I'm fine with that, but they use Wix filters. On Wix website they promote trapping dirt/stuff at 25 microns, which seems quite large compared to other filters (Purolator, Fram, etc.)

At what micron rating does damage actually occur to be worried about a filter's trapping rating.

Oh, and my Envoy burns about a quart every 1,600 miles, if that matters any.

Thanks in advance

Just a reminder:

25.4 microns = .001"

I purchase NAPA Gold or Purolator Pure One.
I'm sure there are better & worse.

But, wnen I remove a used oil filter,
I always cut it open and inspect it for defects.

Last edited:
I don't think there's any set size where particles become damaging (short of them being chunks of metal). If you use a reasonably good oil, it should be able to suspend most of those particles and minimize any wear they might cause.

Truthfully, there are countless vehicles out there that have run Wix filters their whole lives without much complaint. If it bothers you so much, bring your own filter.

That filer will do a fine job if it is indeed a WIX. The Honda OEM filters that I use are rated at 66% for 20 microns, not the most efficient but there is a guy on here that has used those filters for 400,000+ miles and his car is still going, so it cant be that bad.

Wix makes great filters.

When comparing oil filters one needs to compare how well they do on a given SAE filter test rather than a micron size.

And some companies have kind of made up some of their own tests.

If I had some used motor oil with some 5 micron bits of iron and poured it through a paper towel, I'll bet the paper towel would catch at least one 5 micron bit of iron. So does that mean a paper towel filters down to 5 microns? It might have only caught one bit and missed a billion others.

Keep in mind, there's engines out there (some old Onan marine generators come to mind) that are known for lasting quite well despite having no oil filter at all. While a more efficient filter may increase longevity a little bit, even a lesser filter will likely be good enough to allow the engine to live a very long life.

I believe changing oil and air filter at the OEM maintenance schedule is more important than oil filter efficiency. Nothing wrong with Wix oil filters. Also nothing wrong with OEM filters.

Originally Posted By: AnarchyX
I have an '02 Envoy that I've had since the showroom. She has 205k on her, uses dino, and get her oil changed at about 5-6k miles.

Midas has a special of 19.99 for oil change and tire rotation. They use Valvoline oil, so I'm fine with that, but they use Wix filters. On Wix website they promote trapping dirt/stuff at 25 microns, which seems quite large compared to other filters (Purolator, Fram, etc.)

At what micron rating does damage actually occur to be worried about a filter's trapping rating.

Oh, and my Envoy burns about a quart every 1,600 miles, if that matters any.

Thanks in advance

Ask the local Midas if you can bring your own oil and filter.

A friend of mine had new tires put on his Honda and decided while he was there to get an oil change. He brought a jug of Mobil 1 and a Fram Ultra and the tire shop charged him $10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back