2005 F150 Rear End Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning,

My grandfather has a 2005 Ford F150 2WD with limited slip rear end. As of late it has began to chatter when going around turns.

The manual says it is a lifetime fluid, but being a BITOG member, we know how that can be debatable.

I want to drain and fill the rear end. Manual calls for 75W-140 and either 4oz or 8oz of the EST-M2C118–A FM. I am looking at using Mobil 1 75W-140 and picking up a bottle of CRC or comparable FM.

Anyone have and recommendations besides this? Thanks.

The M1 75w140 should have all of the limited slip additive that differential will need already in it...I've had it in the diff of my mustang for 15,000 miles with no issues

I used RP in my rear diff on the expedition with no need to add any FM. Kind of expensive, but I wanted the best since I don't plan on ever chnaging it again.

Motorcraft 75w140 with motorcraft xl-3 additive. I've used this combo many times on these trucks. Ask your dealer to give you a good deal on it. My ford dealer will sell it close to wholesale too me and I don't even purchase a lot from them.

I used Amsoil SVG in my pickup and added the 8 oz of Mopar FM as listed on the Amsoil website.

I find it odd that Amsoil gear oil contains no FM, but M1 and RP contain what you need. Kind of does not make sense.

There may be more than one diff. for your vehicle. Need to determine which one and then go accordingly.

I changed mine (05 F-350) at 100K. I figured that was long enough even though it's supposed to be a lifetime fill. I used Valvoline Synpower 75W-140, which already contains the friction modifier. I've got 10K miles on it since changing and my LS is working flawlessly. No chatter, and I live on a dirt road so I can see it's working every time I leave the driveway.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Motorcraft 75w140 with motorcraft xl-3 additive. I've used this combo many times on these trucks. Ask your dealer to give you a good deal on it. My ford dealer will sell it close to wholesale too me and I don't even purchase a lot from them.

+1000, M1 and the like do have LS additives but from experience the XL-3 makes a big difference

8.8" Ring Gear, 4oz of friction modifier should do the job. 9.75" Ring Gear, 6oz of friction modifier should do the job. Both sizes take 5.5 pints (2.5qts) of gear oil. Though I have seen where an 8.8 needs more than 4oz and a 9.75 needs less than 6oz. The 9.75 has steeper ramps which actuate the limited slip sooner and has bigger clutch packs.

Looks like I'll see what the truck has for a ring gear and then hit up the dealer for the corresponding fluids. Thanks everybody.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back