2011 Shelby GT500 - Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I want to change out the factory transmission fill on my Shelby. The service manual indicated I should use a thread locker / sealer Ford spec WSK-M2G351-A5 on the fill and drain plugs. Interesting... 1) I have never used thread sealer / locker on any manual transmission plugs before (old Muncie M21 / 20 / 22's, 2001 Jetta TDI, 77 Dodge D100, etc.). Is this really necessary on this style transmission? 2) If so... is this roughly equivalent to the "blue" (medium) thread locker or perhaps the Teflon PTFE style is better? For sure there is something on there from the factory I can see an orange band of something on both plugs. Any thoughts?

I have pretty much settled on Redline D4 as the replacement fluid, my second choice would be RP Synchromax. Factory fill calls for Mercon or Dex III, both of my alternates are fine, the RP is just slightly heavier (7.7@100C, 38@40C versus 7.5@100C, 34@40C for RL). The RL has a significantly higher VI (198 versus 175 for the RP)... but I really don't know how that plays into this fluid. Can you simply say the higher the VI the better as some do? Anyway, RL is more available for me and I trust the product over years of use but if anyone has any solid data on which might be better I am all ears.

Thanks,

Marc

I think the Red Line fluid will be a good choice -- that transmission likely sees a lot of abuse and the Red Line stuff will be very stout.

Marc1,
I always thought RP Syncromax would be a great choice for manual transmissions that call for ATF ... but the feedback on this site has been very poor.

An alternate pick would be Honda MTF II which is very thin ... equivalent to ATF. I am running this in my S2000 right now.

Hey dparm, I used to live in Lombard ... around the time of Desert Storm. I lived in the Village Tree apartments ... no idea what they're called now.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
How about Amsoil MTF?

Hi, poor availability in my area is the only reason I have not ever tried / used AMSOIL. The full suite of Redline products is available at my local retailer. That fluid you suggest might be a bit heavy (9.7, 48.3) for the application would be my next concern. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Your TR-6060 should do well with the Redline fluid. I think that spec is for blue Loctite, but I have never used any on a T-56/TR-6060 case and have been fine in the past.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Anything wrong with the OEM fluid?

There doesn't seem to be, however, there is significant chatter, albeit all anecdotal, on the SVT and Shelby forums indicating improved shift performance / feel with either the RP or RL product.

As well, I don't really know what the factory fill is exactly... probably Mercon V? The manual states the Ford spec XT-5-QM /
MERCON V for replacement. There also is some drama from Ford on what fluid to use to cure a second gear synchro grind, and they spec a different "dual clutch" fluid in the TSB. I don't have a large issue with the second gear grind, I have had it happen to me twice and in both cases I was shifting sloppy and the car was stone cold. If I pay attention, no grind, and no grind hot ever.

RL is much easier for me to obtain (the store is closer, customer service is better) over a Ford fluid. I am not anti-dealer / anti-OE fluid but if D4 ends up being as good or better, that is ok by me. It certainly meets the Mercon V / Dex III specs for replacement.

There is a giant Dexron III sticker on the transmission, I wonder what the Camaro guys with the same transmission have on theirs... Mercon V... (savour the irony)? We are all using the same transmission now... no more Muncie vs. Top Loader bench racing anymore.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Your TR-6060 should do well with the Redline fluid. I think that spec is for blue Loctite, but I have never used any on a T-56/TR-6060 case and have been fine in the past.

Ok so you have removed and replaced plugs on the TR6060 with no issue, that is good to know... I think I will go without locker myself. When you go back into a bolt / nut / plug with even the medium blue, you get shards of the locker compound in the threads which doesn't sit well with me.

Originally Posted By: marc1
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Anything wrong with the OEM fluid?

There doesn't seem to be, however, there is significant chatter, albeit all anecdotal, on the SVT and Shelby forums indicating improved shift performance / feel with either the RP or RL product.

As well, I don't really know what the factory fill is exactly... probably Mercon V? The manual states the Ford spec XT-5-QM /
MERCON V for replacement. There also is some drama from Ford on what fluid to use to cure a second gear synchro grind, and they spec a different "dual clutch" fluid in the TSB. I don't have a large issue with the second gear grind, I have had it happen to me twice and in both cases I was shifting sloppy and the car was stone cold. If I pay attention, no grind, and no grind hot ever.

RL is much easier for me to obtain (the store is closer, customer service is better) over a Ford fluid. I am not anti-dealer / anti-OE fluid but if D4 ends up being as good or better, that is ok by me. It certainly meets the Mercon V / Dex III specs for replacement.

There is a giant Dexron III sticker on the transmission, I wonder what the Camaro guys with the same transmission have on theirs... Mercon V... (savour the irony)? We are all using the same transmission now... no more Muncie vs. Top Loader bench racing anymore.

I installed AMSOIL's Torque-Drive fluid in my 2013 camaro's 6sp manual. One thing I noticed from the factory fill was that it now runs cooler on the transmission temp gauge. It took just about 4qts. I didn't use any loctite or sealant on the drain or fill plug. All is well.

Make sure with the TSB for the dual clutch fluid that it actually applies to GT-500 and not a GT. The 5.0 GTs use a Getrag MT-82 6 speed and the Dual Clutch fluid is now factory fill, it is in mine. The GT-500s have a Tremec TR-6060 trans.

The Dual Clutch fluid does not help at all, mine shifts like junk and I will be changing it out with Amsoil MTF at my first oil change before I pursue getting a new transmission under warranty.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Your TR-6060 should do well with the Redline fluid.

I know the internals/blocker ring materials/cones are slightly different between the latter T56es, and the new TR6060s, but the RP Synchromax was SOOOO HORRID (grinding in EVERY gear, balky shifting, etc.) in my gearbox that I had to drain it out (and waste that $60.00+
mad.gif
) the very next day.

I NEVER had that problem with Red Line, or any other company's gearbox oil/ATF products (Amsoil, Pennzoil, Torco, M1, etc.) in my T56.

Yes, my earlier but still Tremec, (vs. Borg Warner) built T56 had a big bright orange sticker on the side of it saying "Use Dexron 3 Fluid Only" as well.

GO WITH THE RED LINE!!!
I would think about using their MTL (or Amsoil's MTF) in the summer though.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Rat407
I installed AMSOIL's Torque-Drive fluid in my 2013 camaro's 6sp manual. One thing I noticed from the factory fill was that it now runs cooler on the transmission temp gauge.

Even the NON; 1LE/Z28/ZL1 V-8 manual 5th gens now come standard with a factory installed trans temp gauge?!?!
cool.gif
cool.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: dparm
Have you considered the Renewable Lube products? Very high VI with ester basestocks.

I plan on trying this next, just have to check out the cSt @100*C spec to make sure it's not too thick (for the MTL-like stuff, not their ATF).

I say this because their 0W-30 motor oil has one of the very HIGHEST HTHSVs I've ever seen for a 0W-30.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dparm
Have you considered the Renewable Lube products? Very high VI with ester basestocks.

I see, this one right? Bio-SynXtra™ ATF PLUS I had not considered it. The numbers look perfect for what I want (7.6, 35.1). They also have a suitable diff oil as well. Hmm...

Update for those who are interested - I went with Redline D4. I was very close to Redline MTL but just couldn't take the step. I now have 1200 kms (750 miles) on the new fluid, all is well. I would say hot shifting is slightly smoother, particularly downshifting on the freeway ramps to punch it and merge is much smoother than the OE fill (Conventional Dex / MERCON). Cold performance seems the same.

Originally Posted By: marc1
Update for those who are interested - I went with Redline D4. I was very close to Redline MTL but just couldn't take the step. I now have 1200 kms (750 miles) on the new fluid, all is well. I would say hot shifting is slightly smoother, particularly downshifting on the freeway ramps to punch it and merge is much smoother than the OE fill (Conventional Dex / MERCON). Cold performance seems the same.

THIS^^^ (the D4) is what made my T56 shift the absolute smoothest, and it also was the least 'notchy', grinding when cold (< 10*F ambients), etc.

I would still use it, but have been made much too paranoid by those on here (including some of this board's MOST knowledgeable, and respected members) who claim that any ATF, yes even a GREAT one claiming to meet GL-4 specs as the D4 does, is NOT the 'best' thing to protect the gearsets and bearings in a manual gearbox.

So I am currently trying many different MTL-like fluids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back