Remington OIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been a faithfull Remington oil user for 8-10 years now with no troubles to speak of.. until now. Back in the day i only had 3-4 weapons and they were fired and cleaned on aregular basis. Now i own many more and some weapons sit for years without being fired.

I was in my safe and pulled a a 870 that i have not used in over 2 years, matter of fact its never been out of the safe in two years. So out it came and i befan inspecting. I found what can only be described as looking like maple syrup on the weapon. The action and all parts still functioned smoothly and i found no rust. It was simply ugly looking at my weapon and it was covered in a nasty looking gunk. In short order i pulled out another weapon that had not been used in close to as long and found the same thing. Its clearly the old oil setting up and getting thick.

It cleaned up without issue but i dont want to have to think about cleaning up old oil gunk off weapons that are not used regular. and may sit 2-3 years without being pulled out of the safe.

Would anyone like to make any suggestions for longer term weapons oil storage without getting into packing greases and sealing bags ? there must be a better lube out there ?

Let me also say that for my weapons that are used monthlyand yearly, Remington oil is just fine, im completely satisfied with it.

Hoppes gun oil got my attention but you sure dont get much with purchase, and i do like a aerosol spray oil.. makes things faster, AND when your cleaning alot of guns, fast is good.

I just finished using a 4 oz bottle of Rem-oil that I bought in the early 90s...never noticed the effect that you're describing, even with a couple of guns (including one S&W 5906) that sat for years. But I was always careful to lube lightly (a drop here and there) and wipe down, then wipe off the oil on the entire gun...so perhaps there was just too much oil on the shotgun?

I wish I had a better system, but wiping down the guns with any old oil and letting them sit has worked just fine for me so far...

I keep coming back to regular old BreakFree CLP. You can get it cheaply in Aerosol or non-Aerosol form.

While I think there are better primary lubes out there, CLP is a great corrosion inhibitor and it doesn't disappear like Rem Oil does.

I quit using Rem Oil after all my blued guns looked like they were completely dry after a few months in storage. You couldn't even tell that they had been wiped down, all the Rem Oil had disappeared. In my experience CLP tends to stick around better.

The old CLP aerosol cans used to make a mess and it was hard to dispense the right quantity that was needed. The newer Safariland aerosol is much easier to use and dispenses less aggressively. Makes it easier to use for cleaning without using too much.

All this being said, I have to also say that I've never seen Rem Oil turn to a gunky mess after storage. I just found it to be nonexistent after any length of time.

I prefer Corrosion X. I am not impressed with Rem-Oil. Here in South Florida, corrosion is a problem and it happens quickly. Remoil does not work well enough here.

Corrosion X remains stable and won't gum up. Plus it's a great gun lube.

Well, Im using hoppes bore cleaner on my bores and a synthetic safe cleaner (from walmart, dont recall the name) on the rest of the gun, then re-lubing with Rem oil.. I wonder if perhaps i got a foul batch ? Its not super thick or heavy, just a drop here or there where after cleaning the gun stands in the case and oil collects in certain nooks and crevises.. I do spray and then wipe down.. but certain parts of the action just get sprayed as you cant reach to wipe..

I suppose the pooling and off colored oil im seeing could be spent powder blast (dirty) that the oil is picking up then pooling in these area's.. never thought of that.. possable.

Last edited:
Sitting for two years I think what you found could be expected. It didn't rust so I would say it did its job.

Originally Posted By: 285south
And where do you buy military LSA?

A quick Google search shows Sarco has it in stock.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I prefer Corrosion X. I am not impressed with Rem-Oil. Here in South Florida, corrosion is a problem and it happens quickly. Remoil does not work well enough here.

Corrosion X remains stable and won't gum up. Plus it's a great gun lube.

This. This right here.

The only Rem Oil I use is the VCI kind. It's not bad, but not as a coating lube, but a vapor in the safe lube. Just an additive to all the desiccant, heaters, and other oils. Look for it.

A lot of people I have shot with seem to use RemOil. But I was never very impressed with it myself. It always seemed to me to be too thin.

I have been using mostly Breakfree for quite a while now. I have kind of sometimes used old Hoppes No. 9 to clean the bore of the barrel but I really prefer Hoppes Elite gun cleaner to clean the bore. The rest of the gun was cleaned and lubed with Breakfree.

Recently I ordered CorrosionX. I will see how it works. So since I have not used it yet I have no idea.

Hopefully the CorrosionX is the answer, maybe for both cleaning and lubrication. If not I will probably go back to Hoppes for the bore of the barrel and Breakfree and maybe get some Teflon lube to replace the Teflon that is probably missing now from the Breakfree.

Try Breakfree buddy. They now make a oil designed to preserve gun bores and such for more long term storage.

Although Rem Oil is a good light oil it's definitely not designed for long term usage.

If you prefer to stay with Rem Oil then you have to step up your check-ups on your toys or you'll just get dissapointed again. Better that than finding out your toys are rusted/corroded.

Durango

Originally Posted By: Durango
Try Breakfree buddy. They now make a oil designed to preserve gun bores and such for more long term storage.

Although Rem Oil is a good light oil it's definitely not designed for long term usage.

If you prefer to stay with Rem Oil then you have to step up your check-ups on your toys or you'll just get dissapointed again. Better that than finding out your toys are rusted/corroded.

Durango

+1 ditch the rem oil! If you read the can you'd think its liquid gold, but its fallen out of favor after it let a bolt sieze into the barrel, corrosion at the contact points and bone dry. This after maybe a year indoors in a case, Put away spotless and soaked down with rem oil. Never again.

Too me Rem Oil is more like a light oil based solvent that can be used more for firearms cleaning in the short term. For this puurpose I would not hesitate to use it where nothing else is present. If you must use it just remember to shake it well to disperse the teflon particles with in the oil itself.Although I say this Breakfree is better cuz the oil is more thicker in nature and still offers good cleaning abilities with teflon particles inside as well.

Durango

Originally Posted By: solorexpy
I've been using Hoppe's and Rem Oil for years. Good combo. Thinking about using MMO though. Anybody tried it on their weapons?

Yes, for years. As well I mix MMO with ATF, Kerosene and alcohol for a parts dip on semi autos, as well. It cleans, lubes and protects short term. But for long term storage, I grease the bore, and wax the stock and barrel. Johnson paste on guns with wood stocks, and TW ICE on guns with composite stocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back