Wagner Thermo Quiet Ceramics ??? Over rated???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if people feel that Wagner Thermo Quiets Ceramics brakes are great or Over rated?

I mean I have some ppl tell me they are the best!

I have others tell me Wearever Platinum's * The package that comes with new brake hardware * are actually a better pad for the $

What you guys think?

never tried TQ's but i've done the Platinums/Gold line a few times.

Rumor has it that raybesto is making them but no proof or anything. The fact that they AAP normally has them in stock and the 40% off coupon is still working makes them a strong buy for me.

But then again i've never had a bad set of brakes pads. I've used OEM, Hawks, EBC, cheap end Duralast. Wearever. Raybesto and normal Wagner. Nothing screamed junk to me, some got worn out faster like 15k miles but no issues. I'm using it for DD purposes.

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
never tried TQ's but i've done the Platinums/Gold line a few times.

Rumor has it that raybesto is making them but no proof or anything. The fact that they AAP normally has them in stock and the 40% off coupon is still working makes them a strong buy for me.

But then again i've never had a bad set of brakes pads. I've used OEM, Hawks, EBC, cheap end Duralast. Wearever. Raybesto and normal Wagner. Nothing screamed junk to me, some got worn out faster like 15k miles but no issues. I'm using it for DD purposes.

I had Duralast on a car one time and OMG I just could not keep the rims clean. I would scrub them and get them as clean as I could then 1 drive to the store and they would be oovered in brake dust

duradust i called em

I've had these pads on a couple of cars.
They're on both ends of our Forester right now.
They seem to be fairly low dust and they seem to last pretty well.
After AAP discount code and online rebate, I put these on the front of the Forester last weekend for around twenty bucks.

I have wagner thermo quiet ceramics on both of my vans. I have never tried the wearever brand so I can't tell you which is better, but I do like the wagners. My Town & Country had new pads when we bought it but the aluminum rims were constantly getting covered in brake dust. Even though they were like new I replaced them with the wagner ceramics and now rims stay much cleaner.

Had a conversation about this at Advance last evening. I returned the Wearever Gold ceramics for a refund, very noisy. The counter guy had seen these returned by customers many times. Told him that I had replaced the Golds with the Wearever Platinum ceramics, never had a set returned.

Told him I had used Wagner TQ ceramics in the past. He said their quality had nose dived recently and there had been returns. To those customers he recommended the Platinum ceramic pads.

I have used Wagner TQ Ceramic and they are very good brake pads in all ways. A rebate is even better.

If available for my application I go for Akebono Pro-Act as I feel they are one notch up on the Wagner TQ Ceramic.

I just recently installed them on our Honda Accord V6 after getting 90K on the original pads (and there was still 30% on the old pads). No complaints on the pads so far: no noise, no dust. I replaced the rotors as well and did my usual break-in. Anecdotally, I have no complaints.

The "Rumor Mill" has it that the Wagners are no longer what they once were. Don't know the truth of that either way. It may be that they stayed the same while their competitors got better.

I used Wagner Thermo-Quiets on our 2007 Town & Country some years ago, but found them to be very noisy, and not all that clean either. I haven't used them since, and have been much happier with the Akebono brand.

I've used the ThermoQuiets a couple time, I prefer the Akebono ProACT's but the thermoquiets are about 1/2 to 1/4 the price (when they're a rebate) and just as quiet and long lasting, just not quite as good of modulation/feel. I can't comment to brake dust, the Akebono's are great and the ThermoQuiets must have been as well since I don't remember any scrubbing.

I haven't use the Wagner Thermo-Quiet Ceramic though, I have loved all the ceramic pads that I've ever tried(even the dusty Centric Posi-Quiet). I do know folks that use & like the TQ's. If you need the hardware and the TQ's don't supply them, use the Platinum...Are the Platinums also Ceramic???

I used the Thermoquiets on a Taurus and Impala and thought they were OK pads. Nothing bad to say about them, but nothing great either.

I have also used the house brand ceramics -- Wearever and Duralast.

As of late, I am using the Akebono ProACT ceramic pads and have nothing bad to say about them whatsoever. They are a great pad.

...but pads and rotors aside, nothing gives you a better brake feel/quality stop like giving your brakes a good clean and re-lube with some silicone paste (on the slide pins) and anti-sieze on the pad ears once a year. Some wait until there is brake noise or a problem to go at it.

Or use whatever lube you prefer.

My one and only experience with WTQ pads was not so good. Despite properly greasing and bedding them in, they squeaked real bad. I thought it was the rotors so I replaced them to no avail. I've had better luck with AAP Platinum ceramic pads.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
The Wearever Platinums were ceramic in my application. Ford Taurus.

The PLATINUM are ceramic for every application. It's the GOLD that are application specific. And the SILVER(if they even come in all applications) are usually semi-metalic or some other type of friction material.

Last edited:
I ran thermoquiets for about 10k miles on the Jeep. They didn't stop particularly well, glazed easily if they were used too lightly (and then they'd stop even worse) and faded pretty easily. When I pulled them off, they were significantly cracked, probably due to heat (I'd faded them to the point of having pretty much nothing left once).

WTQ seems to vary for me. I use them or the akebobo pro-act as my go-to pad.

the WTQ with raybestos at300 rotors on our mdx are darn near perfect. braking power, lots of power to spare, no noise, no dust. The "same" pad on our T&C is no noise, no dust, but doesn't have nearly the stopping power. Don't know what variables are causing it-- pad variations, rotor, hydraulic pressure--- who knows. I replaced the oem akebonos with WTQ on my previous 08 grand cherokee, and the performance in that application was identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back