Reassembling Old Shimano Loose BB Rear Hub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to dust-off (literally) my old 30+ yr. road bike. Now cleaning & regreasing the loose BB hubs. Already done the front. On the rear, I'm not sure how to tighten the bearing cone against the outer nut to 'jam' it into place like I did on the front hub. The bearing cone is down inside the freewheel, so it's not accessible after inserting the plastic bearing shield, the shiny aluminum spacer and the outer nut.

Then again...maybe I need to 'jam' the freewheel side, insert the axle, and adjust the opposite side where I have good access to both the cone and the outer nut. Is this correct?

I can post pics....

You are correct. That's the only way I know to tighten the bearing cone lock/jam nuts on the back axle. Take your time and get the cones just right.
I tend to leave the slightest almost imperceptible play. It is then compressed to ideal when the axle is clamped/bolted to the rear dropout.

Amazing how typing can open up a different perspective on a problem that was right before your eyes...

Worked fine. Took several tries to get it 'just right', but it's now dialed in. I had to 'break the chain' to get it off and clean it. I lubed it with T9 and it's hanging in the garage to dry. I'll pick up a master link this week.

BTW, I'm not sure how removing the freewheel first would help as the bearing race sits inside of it. IOW, when the freewheel comes off, the bearings on that side come off with it. I'll see if I can spot a Shimano hub number for reference now that all the gunk is cleaned off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back