Was this a Mistake? Auto-trak 2 Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings, Its been a while. Anyhoo, bout 3 years ago and 32k mi's I put this stuff http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?product=50204 Redline oil, in my Transfer case. 2006 Buick Rainier. I keep reading (here and elsewhere) that their is "no replacement" for GM Auto-trak 2 Fluid. So the 60k question: Will this stuff Grenade my T-Case? Hasn't yet, but should I replace it? Also wondering about a 2002 suburban 1500 4x4. I'm about to do the T-case and diff's on that as well. Thanks

Originally Posted By: Sw296inchblue
Greetings, Its been a while. Anyhoo, bout 3 years ago and 32k mi's I put this stuff http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?product=50204 Redline oil, in my Transfer case. 2006 Buick Rainier. I keep reading (here and elsewhere) that their is "no replacement" for GM Auto-trak 2 Fluid. So the 60k question: Will this stuff Grenade my T-Case? Hasn't yet, but should I replace it? Also wondering about a 2002 suburban 1500 4x4. I'm about to do the T-case and diff's on that as well. Thanks

Redline makes good / HIGH Quailty products... Im sure it will be fine

That is the 1st time I have seen a fluid other than RP's SynchroMax advertised as replacing ATII. Redline says it does in writing( website ), and you have run it for a while now with no problems, so I wouldn't worry about it. If the t-case does fail you have a claim against Redline if it was fluid related.

I wouldn't use that fluid, or RP's, in a vehicle under warranty as it would not satisfy the requirements of said warranty, but in a 2006 vehicle why not if you want to try as you did. It has clearly worked for you so no reason to worry.

Good to hear someone has used something other than the OEM stuff which is stupid expensive and that it has worked.
thumbsup2.gif

Good to see this post! Was considering doing this in my 02 Bravada with a boatload of miles on it. Am I correct in assuming your Buick is AWD?

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
That is the 1st time I have seen a fluid other than RP's SynchroMax advertised as replacing ATII. Redline says it does in writing( website ), and you have run it for a while now with no problems, so I wouldn't worry about it. If the t-case does fail you have a claim against Redline if it was fluid related.

Good to hear someone has used something other than the OEM stuff which is stupid expensive and that it has worked.
thumbsup2.gif

Actually, Redline's website states:
"Popular replacement for and improvement over GM Synchromesh® (#12345349) and Auto-Trak II® (#12378508) and Chrysler spec MS-9224"
It doesn't mention that it's approved or even recommended for AT2 applications, only that it's "popular".

I paid less than $9/qt for AT2 at a local dealer. I'd hardly consider that "stupid expensive", especially when the Redline product sells for around $15/qt. AT2 is easy to find too - pretty much every GM dealer has it, and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a GM store.

OTOH, if the RL product is working for the OP, that's good.

AT2 works fine in my Rainier.

Quote:
...It doesn't mention that it's approved or even recommended for AT2 applications, only that it's "popular".

I paid less than $9/qt for AT2 at a local dealer. I'd hardly consider that "stupid expensive", especially when the Redline product sells for around $15/qt. AT2 is easy to find too - pretty much every GM dealer has it, and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a GM store...

And if anyone thinks the RP Synchromax OR the Redline MTL has the same formulation as the Auto-TracII, all I can say is, "Buyer Beware."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: strat81

thumbsup2.gif

Actually, Redline's website states:
"Popular replacement for and improvement over GM Synchromesh® (#12345349) and Auto-Trak II® (#12378508) and Chrysler spec MS-9224"
It doesn't mention that it's approved or even recommended for AT2 applications, only that it's "popular".

I paid less than $9/qt for AT2 at a local dealer. I'd hardly consider that "stupid expensive", especially when the Redline product sells for around $15/qt. AT2 is easy to find too - pretty much every GM dealer has it, and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a GM store.

OTOH, if the RL product is working for the OP, that's good.

AT2 works fine in my Rainier.

I know what it states on their website. I am sorry but I disagree that Redline is not putting it out there that this product can be used where ATII is called for.

ATII was very expensive any time I needed it for my Silverado's. Maybe it has come down in price?

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
...It doesn't mention that it's approved or even recommended for AT2 applications, only that it's "popular".

I paid less than $9/qt for AT2 at a local dealer. I'd hardly consider that "stupid expensive", especially when the Redline product sells for around $15/qt. AT2 is easy to find too - pretty much every GM dealer has it, and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a GM store...

And if anyone thinks the RP Synchromax OR the Redline MTL has the same formulation as the Auto-TracII, all I can say is, "Buyer Beware."

You do this ALL the time. Where has anyone said the RP fluid or the RL fluid is the exact same thing/formula as ATII? Being compatible with is not the same as being the exact same formula.

I know what it states on their website. I am sorry but I disagree that Redline is not putting it out there that this product can be used where ATII is called for.

ATII was very expensive any time I needed it for my Silverado's. Maybe it has come down in price?

All I'm saying is that Redline has it worded in such a way that they could weasel themselves out of trouble if a customer complains that Redline's product damaged the customer's equipment.

AT2 has been between $8 and $9 around here for the past 3 1/2 years I've been using it, but prices certainly do change.

Originally Posted By: strat81

All I'm saying is that Redline has it worded in such a way that they could weasel themselves out of trouble if a customer complains that Redline's product damaged the customer's equipment.

AT2 has been between $8 and $9 around here for the past 3 1/2 years I've been using it, but prices certainly do change.

It was $25+ a bottle here when I had the trucks( 2005-2008 ).

Quote:
NHHEMI: ...I am sorry but I disagree that Redline is not putting it out there that this product can be used where ATII is called for...

So, you're saying that RP Synchromax can be substituted but Redline cannot, yet in their respective literature's they both say these products can be used in place of Auto-TracII?

Sounds like a case of severe RP bias.

NHHEMI: ATII was very expensive any time I needed it for my Silverado's. Maybe it has come down in price?

I called the local GM dealer here and the over-the-counter price is $7.95/quart, and no one is discriminated against, not even people who use RP.
lol.gif

So please call the local GM dealer in New Hampshire near you and get back to us on his quoted price. And please let us know what you were quoted for Royal Purple Synchromax.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
NHHEMI: ...I am sorry but I disagree that Redline is not putting it out there that this product can be used where ATII is called for...

So, you're saying that RP Synchromax can be substituted but Redline cannot, yet in their respective literature's they both say these products can be used in place of Auto-TracII?

Sounds like a case of severe RP bias.

NHHEMI: ATII was very expensive any time I needed it for my Silverado's. Maybe it has come down in price?

I called the local GM dealer here and the over-the-counter price is $7.95/quart, and no one is discriminated against, not even people who use RP.
lol.gif

So please call the local GM dealer in New Hampshire near you and get back to us on his quoted price. And please let us know what you were quoted for Royal Purple Synchromax.

Get over yourself ok.

Originally Posted By: edvanp
Good to see this post! Was considering doing this in my 02 Bravada with a boatload of miles on it. Am I correct in assuming your Buick is AWD?
Yes my Buick is AWD. At this point it has a combination of Auto-trak 2 and the Redline product. Last oil change my Mechanic top it off with The GM Fliud. I am a Little worried no one else has tried it out. Its been in there for about 32k miles. It was a ways back but I think I called Redline direct and asked about it. So far so good. I will update in the future. Thanks for the Feedback

With Auto-Trak II being sold at O'Reilly's (or at least in my area) for $8/qt or so, I personally would not mess with the RP for the t-case unless it was proven to be BETTER than the ATII with lots of people having lots of miles using the RP in the t-case. Thats just me.

I have an AWD 2002 Bravada.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm sure this is ancient history, but if you use the "automatic 4WD" feature of your transfer case, I'd recommend using the autotrak 2 fluid. I think it's mainly for the clutch equipped transfer cases (with the "auto" button as an option next to the 2HI, 4HI 4LO on the dash). Anything else and you may fry the clutch plates.

Also, never use the "auto" feature. I mainly use 2HI and 4LO on my suburban.

I've found the autotrak 2 fluid in stock at my local NAPA.

Also, if you need a new transfer case, I recommend transfercase express http://www.transfercases.com .
I have been thrilled with the one I bought from them (really it works so good I never think about it).

Here's what happened to my old one:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back