If you never heard of this engineer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should have.

220px-IKBrunelChains.jpg

Isambard Kingdom Brunel

Note: embedding is disabled, you have to click "Watch on YouTube", but please do so. Enjoy!

Now that's ENGINEERING!

I greatly respect the Engineering Profession.

My theory on Civilizations advancement.

I call it European Intelligence.

In the mid/late 1800's, there were 'alot' of inventions being thought of in this country.
Some people would say Americans are very smart.
But where did those Americans come from ?
Answer: Mostly Europe.

Earlier years you had:
Michael Angelo
Leonardo Di Vinchi
Sir Issac Newton
European Countries sending ships all around the world to acquire new land.

These were men who questioned the powerful Catholic Church.
Looked into the night sky and tracked the Planets.
There was the Art Renaissance where painting & sculptors looked lifelike.

I am not a History expert, and I'm sure someone could prove me partially wrong.
But it just seems like Europeans had a very high level of intelligence.
More so then on any other Continent.

At that time and a few centuries before, Europeans did much to advance science and engineering. But let's not forget that they used knowledge gained from their travels around the world.

Think of the knowledge that came from the Middle East and Asia upon which their work rests.

Knowledge is a cumulative endeavor. The European/North American contributions are built on prior knowledge.

I know I'm not completly accurate with my assumptions.
To improve, you need ideas, desire, necessity.

But I see European intelligence as:
A field of flowers blooming in the Spring Time.
There was no way to stop it.

Not to put down any Native Americans,
but I don't think they were planning on building any 100 story high Teepees.

Last edited:
History is written by the victor. Think of the Inca civilization, Maya, etc. We also know that Timbuktu had great advances too. However, once you are killed/ conquered, many of those ideas disappear till someone else takes credit. Don't forget that China had great advances as well. Our history books are from our perspective- no problem with that cause you could never realistically do history of the world without it being your full-time study.

ref

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork

I think the native americans had/have a better model on how to live well sustainably though and respected their environment. I think they took a much longer view on the effect of their actions as well.
I wonder if they actually had a higher average standard of living and quality of life, and longer life span than europeans at the time of first contact?
Europes technological innovations and higher disease resistance were a byproduct of 100's of years feeding people into a meatgrinder of wars and urbanization. Things may have turned out differently if half the poplulation of europe died of disease instead of the native americans, and if the native americans had realized that the europeans were only interested in conquest from the beginning.

Last edited:

Sometimes I wonder what true intelligence means. If you define it by saying its building 100-story buildings, I guess you're right.

There are days I think we'd have been smarter not to have gone the way we have.

Point is, you're defining intelligence the way our society has defined intelligence, so of course we come out on top. But it's only one definition.

I greatly respect the Engineering Profession.

My theory on Civilizations advancement.

I call it European Intelligence.

In the mid/late 1800's, there were 'alot' of inventions being thought of in this country.
Some people would say Americans are very smart.
But where did those Americans come from ?
Answer: Mostly Europe.

Earlier years you had:
Michael Angelo
Leonardo Di Vinchi
Sir Issac Newton
European Countries sending ships all around the world to acquire new land.

These were men who questioned the powerful Catholic Church.
Looked into the night sky and tracked the Planets.
There was the Art Renaissance where painting & sculptors looked lifelike.

I am not a History expert, and I'm sure someone could prove me partially wrong.
But it just seems like Europeans had a very high level of intelligence.
More so then on any other Continent.

That's largely true. You can boil it down, not just to intelligence, but to the advancement of scientific reasoning.

It's really amazing to learn that certain peoples do not have a culture of engineering, and therefore, have a difficult time with cause and effect on the most basic level.

In Tanzania, for example, The Germans built infrastructure, railroads and so on. Yet, the locals were utterly unable to simply maintain the equipment. After the Germans left, the deterioration was rapid and complete.

In another example, same location, a school collapsed, killing 140 some-odd children. The reason: Sun Dried Bricks. A 2 story school building was too heavy for hand formed, sun dried bricks to support. The (so called) engineers did not understand the brick specifications at all. The non-uniformity of the bricks was a contributing factor. I happened to be there at the time and the lack of understanding was stunning. The locals clearly understood the magnitude of the tragedy. Yet, from what I could see, no effort was made to understand why it happened. Until it was explained to the locals, they really did not get it.

I believe the native americans had much more technological knowledge than we give them credit for. In North America, many of their earthworks were destroyed in the name of manifest destiny. These earthworks have been shown to have very advanced ties into astronomy, for example. One of these is still partially existing in Newwark, OH. Hundreds of others have been bulldozed.

Originally Posted By: 79sunrunner

220px-IKBrunelChains.jpg

Isambard Kingdom Brunel

Either those chains are extremely huge. Or he is a very small person [/quote]

The ARE big chains, used to launch the Great Eastern the largest ship EVER launched on the River Thames
and later used to lay the first trans Atlantic telegraph cable.

I wonder what the mechanical system looked like with the big chains to put the Great Eastern into the river. Maybe it was steam powered, or gravity feed?

Originally Posted By: 79sunrunner
I wonder what the mechanical system looked like with the big chains to put the Great Eastern into the river. Maybe it was steam powered, or gravity feed?

Gravity, those big drums with chains were to brake it, teams of men pulled on a lever to apply a Band Brake as can be seen here http://www.ikbrunel.org.uk/userFiles/Greateasternlaunchattempt.jpg

But it ended up getting stuck in the mud for quite some time.

There was a very good BBC documentary on Brunel's Great Eastern, here is a short snippet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-7f2T2xVyo

Apparently 6 children became trapped (riveted) in the hull, there bodies were not discovered until the ship was broken for salvage.

Brunel and George Stevenson individually did more to advance the state of railway technology than any other two people. I would like to have known them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back