2014 Mazda 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Minou
Originally Posted By: jigen
Front passenger side of the engine. Theres two little compartments that pop off from underneath. The bigger one gives you access to the spin-on filter and drain plug. It does use an allen key for the plug. Pretty easy DIY car for oil changes.

Thanks. Still not visible from the top but I'll get to it when the time comes. It's looking more like under the engine than at the front if similar to the 2.0l SkyActiv I saw at the dealer.

How do you like yours? What trim did you get? What kind of mileage you're getting and did you change the oil yet?

My car was built in February. I took delivery on Aug 30th with 3 km on the clock. It hadn't been prepped before.

Love it. Probably is the best all-around vehicle I have owned, especially for my needs now as I am getting older (kids and all that jazz). I got mine in March and it was built in January. It's a Sport trim with the manual transmission. I changed my oil at 3k with PP 0w-20.

I learned that no matter how I drive this thing, gas mileage is almost always the same. Around town with little to no highway driving I average about 29MPG. When driving is mixed its 30-32MPG and straight highway 36-39MPG. My best tank was a little over 41MPG but that was absolute perfect hwy driving conditions.

I have little issues with the car, little quirks that just annoy me. The windows rattle a bit if they are rolled down just a little bit, then it goes away if it goes down anymore. Also, how you cant roll windows up and down after the car is shut off but you're still sitting in it. I wish the door unlock buttons were lit...

Little things... but honestly, the list ends there. My girlfriend just bought a new Civic Si and I have been driving it more than my car these days. Going back to the mazda, I wish it had that kind of power lol, but it's ok. The new 6 has more than enough ooomph to get me through my day. Not to mention the 6 handles better. For a mid-size it really is fun to drive. The handling is just that good.

How do you like yours?

So far, so good with mine. Less than 1000 km on the clock.

First fillup last night:
845 km / 55.25 liters = 6.54 l/100 km or 36.0 MPG US. On board computer was at 6.1. Drove about 25 highway km with the low Fuel light ON. Tank holds 62 liters.

I'm very pleased with this mileage considering that it was far from perfect conditions all the time.

The Info button on the steering wheel doesn't reset the Average Speed and Average Fuel as outlined in the Manual for a type A dashboard. I have a B dashboard. Wonder if there's still a way to reset those values? Only the Tank to Empty resets by itself.

Ther's also the issue with my ScanGauge II that won't turn off when I kill the engine. I opened a separate topic in the Mechanical section.

Very nice car indeed. The drive, the quality interior and cockpit. Reminds me of the 80's and early 90's when the japanese were making, well... japanese cars. Looks like Mazda is much better by itself and without Ford pulling the strings.

Not sure in the US but in Canada, both the GS and GT with manual transmission cost the same as the automatic. So it was a no brainer to get the slushbox.

Last edited:
Type B dash is for the touring and GS models right? For me holding the info button resets each thing I list it on. I remember the manual being confusing in specifying what features your car does and does not have.

Enjoy the ride. I love it every bit as much as the day I brought it home.

What color you go with?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jigen
Type B dash is for the touring and GS models right? For me holding the info button resets each thing I list it on. I remember the manual being confusing in specifying what features your car does and does not have.

Enjoy the ride. I love it every bit as much as the day I brought it home.

What color you go with?

Meteor Grey Mica w black cloth interior. First time I chose such a combination. My last 4 cars were dark blue. I prefer more classic and timeless colors.

The way I see it, only the GT in Canada (Grand Touring in the US) has an "A" dashboard. So we should both have a B. Curious that you can reset and I can't. I'm referring to the Average Speed and Average Mileage.

The O.M. is pretty bad if you ask me.

Last edited:
Average Speed and Average Mileage reset. My bad. I was pushing the Info button either up or down but not IN...

Returned from Florida last Friday. Total 5400 Km for the trip. Now 6500 on the car:

6.23L/100 Km (37.8 MPG US) average for the 6 fillups en route. Hand calculated. Onboard computer is now pretty acuurate.

2 successive tankfulls on the way down returned exactly 5.88L/100 Km (40 MPG US). The last 3 tanks including short trips in FL and windy/cooler temperature + more cargo on the way up returned +/- 6.5 (36 MPG).

Range was in the low 800 Km on the worst tanks to the low 900's on the better ones filling up with 54-55 liters with a 62 liter capacity.

Cruising speed was generally +5 MPH above posted limit in the US and +12 clics above in Canada crossing at 1000 Islands/ I81.

Far from the irrealist canadian figures but right on the US highway value of 38.

Average cost was $3.37 USG or $0.90/Liter...

All is good with the car except for a punctured tire I had to replace. Oil still looks new but used a little. I added 0.2 liter before and 0.2L after the trip for peace of mind (leftover 5W-20).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Wow, that's the kind of mileage my, much smaller Mazda 3 gets on highway trips and it was and still is considered good.
These engines will give diesels a run for their money.

Especially considering this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Couldn't help but take these pictures on my way up last week. Not sure of the future of diesels in the US. And for the real reason Mazda is holding back with the SkyActiv D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back