Truck Revs after shifting into park (after driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this over on a ford escape forum but got no response. Hopefully you guys can lend me a hand since I'm pretty stumped.

"I have over an inch of play in my throttle cable and it is pretty annoying. How do I tighten it up?"

"for the third time after driving, my car will rev up on its own after I shift into park. It will rev up to a little over 2000 rpm and stay there for a couple minutes before coming back down. What could cause this? It does not do it in any other gear that I have noticed."

"i replaced the TPS sensor a couple months ago and had no issues after that. I have also done like three redline fuel treatments. Could it be my throttle cable hanging up on something? Or could it be the IAC valve? I noticed the other day that my rpms went up to 1200 after turning on the A/C when normally they drop a little bit and hang around 600."

thanks for any input. I'm pretty lost and can't afford to take it to a shop.

Last edited:
If you replaced your TPS sensor and all was good, then I would check your TPS sensor again. Parts go bad. However, the underlying issue is what is causing the TPS sensor to go bad again. Most of the time if you are having issues with a sensor dying a lot there will always be something causing it. I would replace the TPS again and see if that works. TPS typically cheaper than IAC sensors. If it fixes the problem I would start to look at electrical issues causing the failure.

Not sure about the play in your throttle cable. Never seen that.

Last edited:
If the throttle cable were holding things open and causing the high idle you could feel it in the pedal: it'd be very twitchy and even more willing to rev.

If there were some malfunction in the idle speed control (output) it would throw a code saying the RPMs are not what it wants.

So this generally leaves something on the input side of things, a sensor that's somewhat but not completely out of range telling the car it's very cold etc.

Also on dodges particularly if the 5 or 8 volt reference voltage coming out of the computer is dragged down by any sensor or wiring, this messes up the rest of the sensors.

i used an aftermarket TPS. I ordered a new throttle cable since mine seems all messed up and old. I'm not sure if that will fix it, but it seems like a good start.

fwiw i drove around for over a month with the new TPS and never had any issues until now. It seemed to get a little worse after driving through mud/snow this weekend and getting it all icy.

Originally Posted By: BrandonVA
fwiw i drove around for over a month with the new TPS and never had any issues until now. It seemed to get a little worse after driving through mud/snow this weekend and getting it all icy.

I'd try a Motorcraft TPS and see if it fixes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back