G-OIL Ult. Biodegradable Full Synthetic 0W-20 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I was going to wait for both analyses to come back, but I know many folks are waiting on this analysis. I ended up sending in a VOA sample to both Blackstone and OAI, figuring "what the heck".
wink.gif

My methodology: I shook the heck out of a sealed 5.1qt bottle of G-OIL 0W-20, cracked it open, and immediately poured and sealed the samples. I shipped them via UPS, both arriving today. Blackstone completed the VOA today... but I'm still waiting on OAI.

In any case... here are the results.
smile.gif
I'll post the OAI results in this thread as soon as they become available. Let the discussions begin.
grin.gif

kyfs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that; where did you pick that up?

Funny how G-Oil and NextGen had some serious hate on when released and now people seem to seek them out...

Last edited:
So this oil is thinner at 40C then TGMO??? Thats what it looks like. That add pack looks weak though, except the boron.

Unless there is a mistake, the KV100 of 10.23cSt indicates that this is their 0W-30 not their 0W-20!!!

I like the high Boron level and it does have some Moly but the Phos level is very low.
It will be interesting how the OAI lab' VOA confirms that this is a 30wt oil and what the KV40 will be.

I'm hoping to get the OAI results back tomorrow to compare the two. Part of this for me was to determine the reliability of UOAs/VOAs across labs.

I'll ask for a retest of those items.

I have heard nothing back from BlackStone regarding those discrepancies, and I have yet to get any results whatsoever from OAI. I had considered buying a vacuum pump and doing some UOAs... but I'm losing faith in VOAs/UOAs altogether at this point.
frown.gif

And it may not matter much with G-OIL's 0W-20 anyway... they just updated their site and have dropped 0W-20 from their lineup: http://www.getg.com/G-OIL_motor_oils.php

Consider me disappointed all around.
frown.gif

I stand corrected. Blackstone ran all the tests again earlier today with what was leftover from that sample, and emailed me new results with their thoughts. The Phosphorus came back within a small margin.. but the viscosity was way off the other way.

They have decided NOT to charge me for the tests given the results, and offered to run another sample no charge to determine the correct viscosities and find out what is going on with these results. Here are their findings. I still have not heard back from OAI at this point.

n0eo.jpg

Well I can't say I even believe the second KV100 spec' from BlackStone. First they greatly over state the KV100 value and now it's way less than what G-Oil claims.
Their second set of figures gives a VI of only 156 which can't be right.

I think we'll just have to wait for the VOA from OAI.

This is one of the reasons I do not bother with either VOAs OR UOAs.

I just wish that there was a certification standard, NOT just the usual API junk (with BIG fines for major variations), to which the producers are held to their OWN stated virgin oil specs, with a light variance allowed between different batches, of course.
wink.gif

Well, OAI has reported in... with a whole new set of numbers, and they forgot to run KV@40.
frown.gif

I don't know what to think anymore... any thoughts?!?
confused.gif

q3vs.jpg

Maybe there's some sort of contaminant in your sample that evaporates and act's like some sort of drug. It clouds the minds of lab techs. There could be WMDs in your oil sample.

The OAI elemental analysis read higher across the board than BlackStone with the Phos' level now reading what one would expect.

The KV100 of 7.2cSt is in line with the second test of BlackStone (7.12cSt) so I'm inclined to believe it is correct.
I'm also inclined to believe the second KV40 37.35cSt of Blackstone which is still lower than G-Oil's reported value of 38.52.

My conclusion is that G-Oil has not added sufficient polymer to it's oil (quality control problem) as the KV100 is almost 20% below there claimed value. The net result likely being an oil that has a HTHSV well below 2.6cP and likely below 2.3cP being a 0W-15 or something like that.

Jim I'd ask OAI to provide the KV40 test they promised you.

I'd also send a copy of the OAI report to G-Oil asking for an explanation for the dramatically lower KV100 value vs their published MSDS info'. You could also mention the KV100 value was confirmed by another lab' BlackStone. Also provide the batch number on the bottle.
State that it would appear the oil has been under additized and therefore the HTHS viscosity is likely lower than the SAE requirement for a SAE 20 grade oil and therefore you are not prepared to use this oil in your engine.
Ask to be sent some more oil that is known to have the correct viscosity or a full refund of what you've paid including the cost of the analysis'.

Caterham, in all honesty, and in fairness to G.E.T., I have 3 analyses from two different companies, with both samples coming from the SAME bottle in the SAME manner at the SAME time... and NOTHING is the same across all three reports. Where do I begin?!?

Why is the TBN different?

Why are the add pack values different?

Why are the viscosities different?

The only thing that held up across them all is the lack of contaminants (given that it was a virgin sample from one sealed bottle, it had better).

Blackstone is willing to retest the viscosities at 40 and 100 degrees at no cost to figure out what is going on. And I have one more prepaid analysis kit from OAI (which I was planning to use for a UOA). I'm thinking of sending out samples to both one more time to try to get some consistencies across the board here and determine if any weight should be given to the numbers they return. Is this really how wide the disparities are across different runs and/or different analysis companies?!? If so, I would have to agree with a previous poster that it seems to make no sense to put any faith in any of these numbers really.

As always, thoughts on the matter are appreciated. I'm still at a loss really.
confused.gif

The KV100 of OAI is in the same ball park as the revised BlackStone figure.
I think we have enough evidence that the KV100 is 20% below what it should be. It appears G-Oil has a quality control problem and this is not likely a 20wt oil.
I would therefore not recommend that anyone use this oil in a vehicle that doesn't have an oil pressure gauge to make sure the hot operational viscosity isn't too low.

You very well may end up being right about the viscosity at 100 degrees, but how do you explain the TBN and add pack discrepancies? Are there any SOP that these labs have to follow? Are there any industry standards with regards to calibration?

Blackstone has a sample container headed my way. I'm going to send out a sample to BlackStone for a free retest, and I decided I'm using my last prepaid kit from OAI at the same time to do another comparison. I have another sealed bottle of G-OIL 0W-20.

Question: Would it make sense to crack that sealed bottle for the samples for this second run? I feel like I should as it would give another data point for G.E.T.'s oil batches. Good idea? Bad idea?

Jim,
After getting absurd results myself in a couple of UOAs and their techs claiming everything was "fine," I lost faith in the whole UOA business. Sometimes I wonder if the "techs" just write down numbers they think "should" be correct without actually testing.
No more UOAs for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back