K&N HP-1008 or PS-1008? Amsoil or Mobil or KN?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The website description in unenlightening about how HP1008 and PS1008 are different.

Also what's better to remove dirt from oil: HP-1008 or Amsoil EA15K12-CA or Mobil 1 Extended Performance? (The amsoil appears to be "standard" rather than extended EAO filter.) All are comparable price ($10.20 to 10.60).

Last edited:
The Amsoil is not your average "standard" filter. It's their top of the line EAO filter. Some simply have been dropped down to 15k mile change intervals for some specific engines.

The Mobil 1 and K&N are identical.

All three will provide the best possible filtration currently available without going into by-pass filter territory. Pick one and enjoy. It's all brand preference from where you're standing...

As mentioned in several other threads, you should consider the Royal Purple and Purolator Synthetic lines. Prices are comparable to Amsoil, as is performance. And I'd also look at the Fram Ultra. Its significantly cheaper, but is also an excellent synthetic media filter with wire-backed media. The only thing I don't like about it is that it uses the same plastic bypass valve spring retainer fingers as the lower-end Frams.

The RP is my pick for "absolute best" at the moment. Like the M1, K&N, and many others, its built to spec by Champion for RP. Its got a beefier shell than the Purolators or Fram Ultra, IMO better media than the M1. Comparable to EAO in that regard.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
As mentioned in several other threads, you should consider the Royal Purple and Purolator Synthetic lines. Prices are comparable to Amsoil, as is performance. And I'd also look at the Fram Ultra. Its significantly cheaper, but is also an excellent synthetic media filter with wire-backed media. The only thing I don't like about it is that it uses the same plastic bypass valve spring retainer fingers as the lower-end Frams.

The RP is my pick for "absolute best" at the moment. Like the M1, K&N, and many others, its built to spec by Champion for RP. Its got a beefier shell than the Purolators or Fram Ultra, IMO better media than the M1. Comparable to EAO in that regard.

I've got a RP and M1 oil filter in my garage for my Honda. They look completely identical from every point. I'd gladly cut them both open after they're used and show you that they're identical on the inside as well.

M1 makes their filters to be the best they can be. Neither RP or K&N can improve upon that design, hence why they're identical filters with a different logo on them.

I pretty much asked the same question a week or two ago. I decided to go with a Fram ultra or the Amsoil ea15k because according to the experts those two are more efficient than the purolator synthetic.

I would've gone with the Fram first but I couldn't find one local so I just ordered the amsoil.

Originally Posted By: Artem

I've got a RP and M1 oil filter in my garage for my Honda. They look completely identical from every point. I'd gladly cut them both open after they're used and show you that they're identical on the inside as well.

M1 makes their filters to be the best they can be. Neither RP or K&N can improve upon that design, hence why they're identical filters with a different logo on them.

Mobil 1 and RP are not identical oil filters, as they both use different filter media.

Check this thread,there's a picture of a Mobil 1 and a RP for the same application cut open
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1374742&page=4

Regarding the listed filters:
What specific application?
What operational conditions?
What lube will be paired up with the slected filter?
What is the maintenance plan?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DragRace

Mobil 1 and RP are not identical oil filters, as they both use different filter media.

Check this thread,there's a picture of a Mobil 1 and a RP for the same application cut open
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1374742&page=4

I agree that the two companies (three if the count K&N) have different specifications for their filter design but at the end of the day, since it's all made by the same company and @ $12.99 - $15 a pop, they will perform almost identical to one another. It would be impossible to spot the performance advantage in both real world "butt dyno" or UOA results.

Like i said above, it's all brand preference. Pick your poison and enjoy it. They are all top of the line oil filters.

As i almost never see the RP filters on sale, i prefer M1 because @ $6.50 / piece my cost, they are a no brainier!

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

I'll save you the cost of two filters by linking the GM truck site again.

RP:
exploded_small.jpg

M1:
exploded_small.jpg

Mostly they are the same, but use different media. I like the RP media, personally, though they're both extremely good filters. At my local Pep Boys they're both stocked in all my applications, and they're priced within a buck of each other.

Still don't know how the HP1008 and PS1008 are different?
One is better than the other?

And already bought the Mobil 1 Extends for $6.50 each. The Amsoil $15 price was just too much. (Perhaps I'll buy one to run with the High Mileage "cleaner" oil but that's it.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back