Dodge Dart 1.4 turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

gls

Having a hard time finding a 5w40 full sythic oil for my car, only the dealship has it with the Chrysler spec. Any comments?

I'm pretty sure Pennzoil Ultra is the only oil that currently meets the SRT/Abarth spec.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
I'm pretty sure Pennzoil Ultra is the only oil that currently meets the SRT/Abarth spec.

Yes, I think the SRTs have the special Pennzoil Ultra 0w40.

did a little research:
the Spec is : Chrysler MS-10896

So far it's looking like :
1) PENNZOIL ULTRA® EURO 5W-40 FULL SYNTHETIC
2) AMSOIL European Car Formula 5W-40 Synthetic

with the Ultra not currently available in CA,&I'm not sure about the AMSOIL availability north of the border...please enlighten me.

apparently the Canadian Dealers are using M1 0w40

my info comes from these sources:
AMSOIL application look up - 2013 Dodge Dart 1.4 Turbo.

and a couple postings i found on a dodge dart forum, by google-ing the spec.

Chrysler MS-10896 oil for 1.4 who makes it

Required Engine Oil <- this one gets argumentative about different oils, almost filet like it should have been over here @ BITOG... somewhere.

if i was reading those threads right, some of the US dealers are using Castrol European Formula 0w40.

Originally Posted By: 72Cude426
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What spec??

Standard MS-12991.

Googling THAT spec, i get this other Thread @ the same Dart Forum:
Oil for out Engines...
which on page 5 has this posted:
"anyway i have the new manual that has the correct 4qt oil volume and 10,000mi change interval. the book has no reference to a chrysler standard anymore... just says api oil that is 5w-40.. so i checked the digital manual.. now it no longer says 12991, nor 10896.... now it says 10-725 which is very common.... so no worries about oil... just grab something off the shelf and put it in..."

so... yeah...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gls
Having a hard time finding a 5w40 full sythic oil for my car, only the dealship has it with the Chrysler spec. Any comments?

I don't need to rehash what others have pointed out. If you want the Pennzoil stuff and it does turn out to be available up here, you'll have to go to the dealer or a SOPUS distributor. If Chrysler is happy with any modern SM or better 5w-40, then you have many options, including what I'm using in my G, which you can get from Imperial Oil at half the price of anything similar at retail at Walmart or Canadian Tire.

Nonetheless, it's always maddening when what should be a domestic automaker specifies an oil that's just about impossible to find in North America. Has Chrysler in the past twenty years ever issued a new vehicle's oil specification that wasn't dictated from somewhere in Europe with no thought as to whether it might actually exist in North America?

When Fiat's done with Chrysler, maybe Tata Motors can buy them next, and they'll specify SE or better in any grade you can find.
wink.gif

Sorry, Chrysler fans, I couldn't resist.

I swear i distinctly remember(before the 500, or the Dart Launched) reading that the chrysler engineers were Modifying/reworking the engine design before it went in to Production here, to "utilize oils readily available" in N.America.

no sources to quote, as it was "something i read on the internet" a couple years back.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
if i was reading those threads right, some of the US dealers are using Castrol European Formula 0w40.

Originally Posted By: 72Cude426
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What spec??

Standard MS-12991.

Googling THAT spec, i get this other Thread @ the same Dart Forum:
Oil for out Engines...
which on page 5 has this posted:
"anyway i have the new manual that has the correct 4qt oil volume and 10,000mi change interval. the book has no reference to a chrysler standard anymore... just says api oil that is 5w-40.. so i checked the digital manual.. now it no longer says 12991, nor 10896.... now it says 10-725 which is very common.... so no worries about oil... just grab something off the shelf and put it in..."

so... yeah...

My Dart 1.4 Turbo is a 2013 the owners manual says this
Engine Oil Selection – 1.4L Turbo Engine
For best performance and maximum protection for all
engines under all types of operating conditions, the
manufacturer recommends engine oils that are API Certified
and meet the requirements of Chrysler Material
Standard MS-12991.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
When Fiat's done with Chrysler, maybe Tata Motors can buy them next, and they'll specify SE or better in any grade you can find.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
crackmeup2.gif

Chrysler sure has been jerked around by the Europeans...

I hope they don't stop making the Charger or the Challenger. Those are the only cars I would consider if I had to buy a new car today. And I sure hope they don't make them into some FWD minicar and ruin the marques the way Pontiac did with the LeMans and Ford did with the Cougar.

Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of the vehicles that Chrysler has. Yes, I hope they keep the Charger and Challenger, too. But they sure wind up with a hodgepodge of oil specifications. They grouse with XOM, so M1 is no good (but Mobil conventional is) for their standard API vehicles. In another thread here, they have a minivan calling for 10w-30 like it's 1979. They get in bed with Benz for a bit and wind up with some unique specs that at least can be found in North America, albeit at a much greater price than what a former Reliant driver would be used to. Now the Fiat fiasco begins. A Dodge Dart with a Fiat spec must have many people spinning in their graves.

Unless it's something that's at least available at Walmart, like GC or M1 0w-40, this is going to cause no end of problems. There's nothing wrong with European oils or the European specifications whatsoever. But, you don't expect a Chrysler fan to switch from PYB to something they have to have flown in with Agip written on the bottle and expect things to go smoothly, particularly on an entry level vehicle.

For now have to depend on the dearship for my oil changes ( got 2 free changes left )but what about that oil filter? they srewed the top on incorrectly on my last change that damaged the o-ring had a engine shut down because it lost 2 quarts. They cleaned it all up said that the engine is OK it does that to protect it from getting damaged

I'd be watching them like a hawk for the next two free oil changes and then would be doing it myself. They guys doing oil changes at a dealership are usually at the bottom of the totem pole. That's another thing Chrysler needs to avoid - springing new filter designs upon "techs" who should be working on something no more complex than a Slant Six.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back