PureOne Vs. Bosch Distance Plus - A Question....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Oil_Boy
Well the only way I could think they could squeeze more square area of filter in the Bosch (assuming more square area equals more capacity to hold debris) is if they made the filter material thinner.

r_r had one apart and the media IS definitely thicker.

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: Oil_Boy
Well the only way I could think they could squeeze more square area of filter in the Bosch (assuming more square area equals more capacity to hold debris) is if they made the filter material thinner.

r_r had one apart and the media IS definitely thicker.
+1 As I posted back in April on this thread, read this excellent comparison of the Classic, P1 and BDP. As stated the BDP media is thicker......

See for yourself, scroll down the page. r_r's got it covered.

Very interesting. Well if it's thicker then wouldn't it clog quicker so not last as many miles?...or would they have to make the density of the fibres less per volume of fibres to compensate for the extra thickness and offset the chances of clogging quicker? It seems all swings and roundabouts if you're only changing the thickness and not the total square area.

I think I'll stick to my P1 and 10K or once a year limits (whichever comes first) of changing the filter based on bad experiences and gut feeling.

I'd be very nervous pushing any filter towards the 15K barrier no matter what the manufacturer claims.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: morris
if my engine started making 13 grams of dirt each oil change. i think ill start worrying about my engine

it doesn't,that's to cover the extended drain crowed.

Originally Posted By: morris
if my engine started making 13 grams of dirt each oil change. i think ill start worrying about my engine

That's a lot of ingested paper clips.
lol.gif

13gm_img.jpg

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/pureoneoilfilters.aspx

Originally Posted By: Odysseus2010
Noticed at Advance Auto a display for Pure One and the Bosch Distance Plus - they seem to filter the same size particles but the display says the Bosch holds more grams of contaminants than the PureOne. Costs twice as much too and weighs twice as much. Is this a meaningful real-world advantage or just marketing hooey? I am switching to syn (probably Ultra or M1 EP) and want a filter that can last for an extended drain. Advice, observations, what do y'all think?

In a known clean engine those numbers mean the Bosch can go 20000 miles or more. I run standard filters 10000 miles. Those long life,extra capacity ones are capable of drains I'm sure no one here will even run to their useable half life.
A standard classic will do 10000 miles for 4 bucks. Use it as your value point. Are you gonna run an 8 dollar filter twice as long,if not don't spend the extra money.
Dnewton has already proved a puro Classic can run out to a 15000 mile drain and it was still filtering as designed with no sign of accelerated by-pass events nor were his insols high. Quite the opposite actually.

The smallest Pure One oil filters have Micronic-40 micron(99.9%) media, all other Pure One oil filters - Micronic-20 micron(99.9%) media.

I suppose that BD+ oil filters use only Micronic-40 micron(99.9) media at all. Of course, without limit at 3000 miles.

BD+:
40m- 99.9%
25m - 99.8%
10m - 50%

Pure One:
20m - 99.9%
10m - 92.8%

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back