Driving WALL of SHAME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
this morning:
lady in mitsu outlander nearly got my left side. phewwwwwww! good reflexes and a red car..
12 minutes after...
guy in subaru wagon, almost nails the same left side. he was doing lefty/righty all over 4 lanes of traffic.
5 minutes after...
i'm behind the same subaru guy and..... he almost nails a work van in the same left side...

...must be something about Chicago traffic (you go nowhere fast) and they must've heard using signals is optional at traffic school.

P.S. moderators, please make this a sticky. we need to blow some steam (in a civilized manner)

Yeah...try driving on Cape Cod in the summer...roads are full of old people from Florida and rich people who think their Mercedes Gelandewagen is King of the Road.

Some kid in an eclipse tried to get me to race him in my viper. When I refused he cut in front of me and pegged the brakes. Had he succeeded he probably would have needed the cops to save his life.

Hurry up and wait. Let's floor it so I can brake real hard at that red light ahead.
I won't even drive in rush hour anymore. We work an extra hour which believe it or not gets my guys home about 10 minutes later than if we quit at 5

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Hurry up and wait. Let's floor it so I can brake real hard at that red light ahead.
I won't even drive in rush hour anymore. We work an extra hour which believe it or not gets my guys home about 10 minutes later than if we quit at 5

Rush hour in Saskatoon? And its a full hour? I guess its a bit busier than it was 20 years ago when I was last there!
My pet peeve is people speeding up in a passing zone and then slowing down when it ends...

I don't like folks occupying the Straight/Right-Turn arrowed lane when they are but going Straight thru AND there would have been but two or three cars in front of them in the Straight Ahead only lane.
This poor practice backs up 10 or more cars whom NOW cannot turn right on red and those blocked from turning are all wasting fuel through a longish two-minute light cycle.

Next, Don't get me going on all you guys that bought a 13 mpg truck (advertised as 23 mpg) so you accelerate like grandma in a 71 Valiant running on 5 cylinders. You are NOT saving fuel. Better to get up to O.D. speed (45MPH +) briskly then back off the throttle.
-
Yes it save more fuel.
-
NO, It really saves on overall fuel consumption.

Last edited:
Lately, it's been the line of traffic going through several lights to get to the major highway. There's a left turn onto a major road, and an open middle lane. Lots of folks duck out early and drive down the middle lane to make a left. But there's always that one who wasn't really turning left and cuts in front of the line at the light because they are "special".

sport version of a popular car driven 20 miles UNDER posted speed
(clear road, no rain, no snow) in such a way that the long line of trucks and cars cannot pass and basically blocks 2 lines on a road getting people to/from work and supplying the 2nd largest airport in US.

Ice fishing shacks, tall and tippy, are precariously tied off to flimsy trailers.

The tow vehicle drivers know that they tip over in curves, and have plenty of power.

TL;DR, they drive fast on the straightaways where one can pass and maddeningly slow for any other circumstance.

I've long considered driving in the RoundRock/Austin/Cedar Park area to be a contact sport given the flood of new arrivals bailing out of their poor economies.

Truly elevates the term "defensive driving." I've experienced so many close calls I stopped counting years ago.

All the jokers that drive the 'back way' which already has a too low speed limit, and drive at 10mph under that! Impossible to pass on this road (not only a double yellow, but it's all curves). If you're afraid of the curves just stay off the road.

Worst offenders seem to be performance cars. Never had an issue with any Superduty Diesels. My only explanation is because Texas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I've long considered driving in the RoundRock/Austin/Cedar Park area to be a contact sport given the flood of new arrivals bailing out of their poor economies.

Truly elevates the term "defensive driving." I've experienced so many close calls I stopped counting years ago.

I've heard that from friends down there. Amazing how Austin has changed since 01/02.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver

I missed this post. Living in the ATX and commuting...defensive driving is a way of life. Brakes and tire life is measured in months...

#1 for me is still excessively slow/wandering drivers on the interstate who seem unable to control their vehicle, but also unwilling to let competent drivers safely pass them. Usually they are in the left lane, and usually they will drive aggressively in an effort to block other drivers.

I saw a really good example last week. As I merged into the right lane of the interstate, I see a Hyundai Entourage minivan in the left lane quickly developing a line of cars behind it. I'm a little behind the Entourage, so I leave some room for the cars behind it to start passing. A Santa Fe and Deville move over in front of me to make a right lane pass, and the Entourage, previously doing less than 60 MPH, floors it. They hit at least 80 MPH trying to keep the Santa Fe and Deville from passing them. Once the Santa Fe and Deville successfully passed, the Entourage driver dropped their speed to below 60 MPH again, and started the same scenario over again with the remaining cars behind them. I witnessed them do this three or four times before I got on to a different interstate. It was some of the most absurd driving I have ever seen. If there is more than a 20 MPH variation in your speed for no apparent reason, and there is a line of cars behind you in the left lane, that makes YOU the problem.

Interstates are not playgrounds, parking lots, living rooms, or a place to sync your phone to whatever. Nor are they a place to take out your incompetencies/inadequacies out on other drivers. Most/many people are on the interstate because they want to reach their destination quickly and efficiently. Deliberately trying to slow the traffic isn't just inconsiderate, it's anti-social and frankly strange behavior. If you don't like the speed on the interstate, use surface streets.

People who make a deliberate attempt to disrupt the flow of traffic should have their license pulled permanently on the spot. No suspension, just go ahead and revoke it. If you can't effectively use a car, start walking. I bet a lot of the "NOBODY IS GOING TO GET IN FRONT OF ME BECAUSE I WANT TO DRIVE SLOW!" behavior would stop real quick. If you have no idea where you are going and are driving slow for that reason, pull over and figure it out.

Next person that blocks me from passing by flooring their car and swerving at me will have their tag phoned into the state or local police and I will trail them until they are intercepted. I will register a complaint make sure they are prosecuted and fined. This illegal "blocking" and swerving action is putting my life at risk - I am making a legal pass.

-lady driving a corolla SPORT at 35 MPH on a perfectly clear road with a posted speed of 55MPH while holding a VERY LONG line of trucks + going to work commuters (what is the point of the sport version???)
-older gentleman in an older lincoln driving between the 2 full size lanes (of a 4 lanes road) so basically holding 2 lanes of traffic while ignoring all the honking (batteries run out on hearing aid?) and even some aggressive tailgating....

Originally Posted By: pandus13
-lady driving a corolla SPORT at 35 MPH on a perfectly clear road with a posted speed of 55MPH while holding a VERY LONG line of trucks + going to work commuters (what is the point of the sport version???)
-older gentleman in an older lincoln driving between the 2 full size lanes (of a 4 lanes road) so basically holding 2 lanes of traffic while ignoring all the honking (batteries run out on hearing aid?) and even some aggressive tailgating....

Wow, I've had two very similar incidences:

1. Senior running down the line between two lanes on a 4-lane street in town. And not sticking to the line, but drifting back and forth between the two lanes, making it nary impossible to get by him. He was also doing 40Km/h in a 50Km/h zone.....

2. Senior on the 2-lane highway between my town and another. He was driving 60 in an 80. I passed him when the opportunity arose and he promptly honked and gave me the finger
crazy2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back