Castrol Magnatec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Castrol Magnatec a true synthetic or one of those hydro-cracked oils?
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/34367A25F8288981802578960061675C/$File/BPXE-8H6DBZ_0.pdf

Castrol's UMA is most definitely synthetic, that's the esters that make the magnatec range work...the PDS doesn't claim the oil to be a synthetic, but it's probably got a fair amount of GrIII in it...just like most "synthetics" have these days anyway.

Castrol use to plaster "Semi Synthetic" across Magnatec bottles. It seems that term has lost out to the magnetic molecules which must be better that synthetic
whistle.gif

They don't claim it to be any sort of synthetic now, but I'd say it is a GII/III blend which is the new conventional. One BP guy I know told me they do not use anything less than GII, even in GTX.

The 10w40 is marked up as semi synth and the 5w30 A5/B5 is full synth in my local Costco.

Edge is marked up as full synth.

From memory it is £22 for 4 litres of 5w30 Full Synth and around £25/30 for 8 litres of 10w40 Semi synth.

Due to there being offers on Mobil Super 5w30 in Halfords every so often i buy that as you can get 5 litres for the same price (or less) as 4 of Magnatec.

Last time i looked at the GTX is was marked up as Part Synthetic!

Last edited:
I wasn't going to buy any I just wanted to know because their flagship Edge is full synthetic so I wondered what was in Magnatec.

Some Magnatec is full synthetic. e.g. 5w40 C3. Castrol products in the UK are different to Australia and North America so you really need to look at what you are buying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back