toyota oil filters quick question

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok there are 2 kinds of toyota filter, usa and japan. one has a weird design almost like foam with the unusual flow design, the other is near a standard filter design pleats.

can you guys tell me the model OEm number for both of the filters?
90915-20004

08922-02011

are those it? which one is which?

i did a search but i didnt find any model numbers, or so i didnt see any.

his car toyota tacoma 2003 pre runner.

The 90915-20004 filter is the original filter on the 4.7 liter Lexus and Tundra V8 and some other Toyota engines. It is made by Denso in Japan and has the fiberglass mat filter material that looks like foam or felt or something. It is a very high quality filter. For the Tundra, this filter is only supplied when the engine leaves the factory or after a major engine repair. Otherwise, the 90915-YZZB5 filter is the recommended model...less filter capacity, no internal bypass valve, and cheaper, but same general construction.

I'm not familiar with the other number.

Ken

[ June 01, 2003, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Gebo:
All your questions are answered here:

http://bananags.netfirms.com/techs/oil_filters/

this guy even cut open a M-1 filter, too.

Ken2 is 100% correct
grin.gif

Must have too much oil on my fingers...THis is the correct www.

[ June 01, 2003, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Gebo ]

That Toyota filter that's made in the USA is clearly made by Purolator. The asymetrical inlet holes are the giveaway.

http://catalog.autotoyotaparts.com/

& enter the part number 90915-20004 in the search box.

The above link shows a Denso filter that might just be the Lexus V-8 filter. Only $8.47....

I'm going to try it, will post pictures for y'all.

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

[ June 01, 2003, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: GSV ]

The 08922-02011 is the number on the OEM filter I use on my 95 Toyota 4x4 22RE. It is made in the USA by Purolator to meet Toyota specs. I've used this for some time but it's very small. I'm gonna try the K&N HP-2004 on next oil change.

This is more information to the effect that oil filters in Japan (at least some brands) are made far better than oil filters in the USA. America is supposed to have excellent technology and an advanced industrial base. And yet basic and important items like oil filters display a marked difference in quality, with American products often displaying inferior quality. There is something wrong.

It's my opinion that the Japanese, along with the Europeans, Germany in particular build things to last. This is the mindset they have mostly because of the trying times of their past. After the wars in both countries they had very few resources and were forced to make things last. Here in the USA we are a desposable nation. Our economy depends on it. Things really aren't made to last anymore. That way you have to buy again and again. We hosted an exchange student from Germany and that was one of the first things he told me he noticed here. You know why cars hardly ever rust in Germany? They have probably more snow than we do, and they use salt on their roads too. Well, they dip the frames and bodies in zink. It keeps them from rusting out like ours do. I work for Ford and I hate to say it but it's true, It's not the quality that counts, it's the numbers.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
Otherwise, the 90915-YZZB5 filter is the recommended model...less filter capacity, no internal bypass valve, and cheaper, but same general construction.

I'm not familiar with the other number.

Ken

so the 90915-YZZB5 is one that doesnt come wiht facory? i wonder if thats the same media as 90915-20004. cause i can get both of them..my friend works there.

thanks fellas for the help...i was under the impression that that filter 90915-20004 was not good but now im seeing another side of the story.

great link by the way.

on that site i was looking at it, most of the filters i looked it up for the tacoma 2003 prerunner 2wd and i dont know which model is used for it.

i like the denso i bet my friend would go for denso...if not denso then OEM with teh felt media if it is really good. other sites claimed for that filter to be bad flow, no wonder im confused

[ June 01, 2003, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: digitaldrifter91 ]

-YZZB5 is the same filter media as -20004, slightly different construction, both made by Denso in Japan. The -20004 is about a $10 filter and the -YZZB5 is about a $5 filter. I have no idea how anyone determined the flow. These are the Toyota parts book filters for these engines.

Ken

thanks. people determined the flow weird. it was determined on the acuramdx site.

he said on there according to his observations that flow isnt direct, to sum it all up.

go down to the toyota filter.

[ June 02, 2003, 01:08 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

DD,

There has been a lot of discussion about the YZZB5 and the 20004 filters on the Lexus board. I got so confused that I went to the local dealership and purchased both of them and then cut them both open. As Ken2 said, same filtering material only more of it in the 20004. Also, no bypass valve in the YZZB5. also, the rubber pieces (whatever they are?) are all orange in the 20004 and they are more flexible. The YZZB5 are black and harder.

For me it was a no-brainer....20004. I buy the 20004 for $7.85 plus shipping on the www.

hey i am looking at my friends truck right now its 3.4l v6 engine...prerunner. i looked at the OEM oil filter and it said 90915-2003. i seen on here that the OEm is supposed to be 90915-2004. what gives? any one know the differnce? which one would be better? he probably will stick with this filter, is this the USA made filter or japan..?

thanks.

Pulled apart the filter on the 4Runner yesterday, looking for the oddball filter medium, and it was certainly there.

It didn't seem to be all that robust, however, and as I was feeling it, seemed to be releasing chinks of filter.

It's seen 6 months, and about 4,000 miles (90% around town)of service with Delvac 1 (we had a baby, now the boss owns the 4Runner, and her mum drives it, so the mileages are way down on what we used to get)

Anyone seen this effect before ?

digitaldrifter91

I was the guy who originally posted the Canadian sourced Toyota filter photos on acura mdx web site. I've now posted those photos here at http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000723;p=1

From an engineering perspective, the oil flow pathway through this filter is very restrictive. Too many right angle turns for my liking and very little annular space between the filter element and the can.

real wing. thats right you were the one who posted this. glad this thread is alive again. that camary filter, i wonder if its equivalent to the filter for my friends tacoma *****2003.

maybe its me but there are soo many numbers and letters that im getting confused.
banghead.gif

shannow...what filter was on your 4 runner? congrats on your kid.

im trying now to compile all the numbers.

Hi Realwing, great job on the filters! Thought I recognized the name and then you mentioned acura mdx.org
grin.gif

Can't remember, but did you ever cut open a supertech filter? Just curious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back