'02 Trailblazer Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a used '02 Trailblazer with a 4.2 - 6 cylinder and when I looked on the Fram site (Ultra) it listed two possible filters with one being the "long" version . I suppose this means it will accept either one ? Is the long version preferred - or will there be any sort of oil pressure issues versus using the regular length one ?

Many here will run a larger filter given a choice but it's mostly a "feel good" alternative and yes I still do it anyway.
smile.gif

As long as it's the proper filter for your spec no it will not affect your oil pressure. Filters actually have very little to do with oil pressure, the engine itself is far more restrictive than the filter.

I stick with the PF61 size filters on my 2003 I6. In a Fram, that is the PH3675, TG3675, XG3675.
The short filter is used on the V8 models. The V8 has a smaller sump, 6 quarts vs 7 quarts for the I6.
Any aftermarket filter you get is almost .5 inch shorter than the PF61. Avoid the PF61E.

More media allows for a longer OCI (more capacity) and lower differential pressure in the filter resulting in less bypassing (less unfiltered oil) and all periods of the OCI. If you are running the correct grade of oil, don't live in the frozen north, or do a lot of cold starts and stops, a bigger filter may not matter much everyday. Generally more media is "better" but whether or not that "betterness" is worth the extra money is highly variable.

Also bear in mind that if a larger filter is approved by the filter mfr for your application, in the event of a failure, you have a solid basis for a warranty claim. If you just pick a filter that happens to screw on, it gives them a possible out, or at least makes a claim very much uphill for you because they did not approve that application.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Just bought a used '02 Trailblazer with a 4.2 - 6 cylinder and when I looked on the Fram site (Ultra) it listed two possible filters with one being the "long" version . I suppose this means it will accept either one ? Is the long version preferred - or will there be any sort of oil pressure issues versus using the regular length one ?

The size of the oil filter is not going to effect the engine oil pressure at all.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Many here will run a larger filter given a choice but it's mostly a "feel good" alternative and yes I still do it anyway.
smile.gif

As long as it's the proper filter for your spec no it will not affect your oil pressure. Filters actually have very little to do with oil pressure, the engine itself is far more restrictive than the filter.

Exactly ... the engine is typically ~15 times more restrictive to oil flow than an average oil filter.

salv : Is the PF61 size filter a reference to a AC Delco filter part number / series / size ? I see the xx3675 reference is the longer Fram filter (makes sense - larger sump) . In a Pure1 I only got the PL25288 back in a search - how to tell if that is the long version filter ?
Originally Posted By: salv
I stick with the PF61 size filters on my 2003 I6. In a Fram, that is the PH3675, TG3675, XG3675.
The short filter is used on the V8 models. The V8 has a smaller sump, 6 quarts vs 7 quarts for the I6.
Any aftermarket filter you get is almost .5 inch shorter than the PF61. Avoid the PF61E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back