Apparently CHF202 has replaced CHF11S

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was doing some digging on power steering fluids, and it looks like Pentosin CHF202 has superseeded the [old] CHF11S.

Only significant difference I see is that 202 is a touch thicker at very cold temps (-40 C) and hence has a slight drop in viscosity index. Pour point is also down a bit too, but the ignition point has risen.

I have no doubts that it is totally safe to use, but I'm just curious if dealers and indie shops are making the switch. Oddly the CHF202 carries fewer manufacturer specs but I suspect that's because it's new enough that it hasn't been thoroughly tested.

For those curious...

CHF11S technical datasheet:
http://www.pentosin.net/pressreleases/CRP-116_Pentosin_CHF11S_V3.pdf

CHF202 technical datasheet:
http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/Pentosin_CHF_202.pdf

There were big issues with the 7.1 to 11s as I recall. Are these claimed to be fully compatible? Will they continue producing both, or do they intend to drop 11s?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
There were big issues with the 7.1 to 11s as I recall. Are these claimed to be fully compatible? Will they continue producing both, or do they intend to drop 11s?

Both are still available, yes. CHF11S is actually easier to get, from what I've seen.

Pentosin says that they are compatible and can be mixed together. See the bottom right of page 2:

http://www.pentosin.net/pressreleases/CRP_101_Fluid_Guide.pdf

"Note: CHF 11S and CHF 202 are fully compatible and mixable. Pentosin CHF fluids should not be mixed with ATF fluids"

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I heard they went to the 202 because of cold fluid whine.

Hmm, the product specs actually support that to a degree. 202 is a bit thicker at lower temps and might mask the noise better.

I use that in my Hyundai Genesis Coupe. Had to get it online as no one but the dealer had it. And I don't really know if the dealer did have it. They don't seem to carry simple parts for that particular car.

Others who have the Gen Coupe have just used whatever PS fluid they can get. The PS fluid does run hot on the Gen Coupe 2L. They have a coolant line running through the pump bracket.

Out of curiosity, what does the Genesis call for? For what it's worth, I've never heard of 11S or 202 causing problems in other applications. The earlier switch, as mentioned, caused some pain, though.

That's interesting! Well, that makes it easy, then. Either the Pentosin site or the Beck Arnley site recommend the 11S for Infiniti vehicles, too, for some reason. The OM or FSM say no such thing, of course, and I'm not about to go and buy enough of the liquid gold for a flush and fill.
wink.gif

For anyone interested in an alternative to $20/l, I've been using Amsoil's power steering fluid in the Audi for a couple of years now and had no cold weather whining the last two winters. There was no whine with the CHF11S before that. No leaks at this point, either.

For $20, I actually received 3 16oz bottles which was two full changes. My friend is a dealer, so he gives it to me at his cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back