Oil recommendation: 1997 Lexus LS400 (1UFZE) 124k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Finn

The 5W-30 is even still a bit "obsolete" over here ie. there are several 0W-30/40 and 5W-40 oils available but not that many 5W-30 oils. The genuine GM 5W-30 and Ford 5W-30 are available and some other A1/B1 oils. Then there is Castrol but they are expensive.

In absense of reasonably priced quality 5W-30 oils would M1 0W-40 or the Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 be OK or should I just try to swallow the higher price of 5W-30 oils?

I certainly wouldn't use the word "obsolete" to describe the 5W-30 grade, limited availability would be a more apt description.
If you can find a A5/B5 0W-30 that's more affordable that would be an ideal choice. Failing that, are there any reasonably priced 0W/5W-20 oils available? If so then you could blend your own light 0W/5W-30 grade.

Obsolete was a wrong word to describe the 0/5W-30 oils here ie. the most common oils available are 5W-40 and generally the major brand 0/5W-30 oils cost twice as much.

0/5W-20 oils are here meant for hybrids, as far as I can tell and their availability is quite low. And they are very expensive.

0/5W-20 oils are here meant for hybrids

Yes that's what the OEM 0W-20s were originally designed for but now the Japanese are specifying the grade for most models of cars and trucks here in NA.

If you can find a high viscosity index 0W-30 that's not a whole lot more expensive it would still be worth it especially for winter use and the slightly improved fuel economy should mitigate the higher cost.

IIRC M1 0W-40 has been referred as "light" 40 grade here at BITOG.

If that is the case and as that is easily available everywhere and it is reasonably priced so would that be the solution for my LS?

With your initial choices and having owned a 98 LS400 for 12 years, I would use the T6. I don't subscribe to the "lighter" weight oil theory. Too old school and ignorant, I guess. Also, there are 2 rubber bushings you can replace on the front end suspension that are relatively cheap and will make your LS drive like a brand new car. Ask around and someone will know exactly what they are called.

As far as your recent suggestion in your last post, I'd definitely consider the 0-40. l personally would go with the Rotella T6.

Obsolete was a wrong word to describe the 0/5W-30 oils here ie. the most common oils available are 5W-40 and generally the major brand 0/5W-30 oils cost twice as much.

0/5W-20 oils are here meant for hybrids, as far as I can tell and their availability is quite low. And they are very expensive.

Then, by all mweans feel good using any quality 5W-40: no way will it hurt anything nor is it worth it to pay twice as much for 5W-30.

I'm presuming you are not in the area above the Arctic Circle...

Nope, I'm about 500 miles south from Arctic Circle. It does get cold here, too, but she will rest in the warm garage and used only occasionally. The Corolla will be the daily driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back