List of all Group IV Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gabe
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I never understood the talk about basestocks and what real world benefit they give in terms of oil. Can the car really tell the difference somehow? Can someone explain or better yet, prove its better? If better, in which way?

Synthetic bases are better. If you want proof, then take a look at PQIA website and compare the cold flow measurements. Or, if you want a more overall impression, look at the ACEA approvals for a conventional oil compared to a synthetic oil.

I think the previous poster meant real world differences between group IV/V vs. group III/III+. Considering that group III/III+ oils can be formulated to meet some of the most stringent specs such as ACEA, VW, MB, BMW, I would say the exercise of trying to come up with a list of group IV oils is mainly academic.

I am under the impression that a PCMO cannot be 100% PAO based.

Obviously, the overall performance of the oil is more important than the individual ingredients.

For sure Gabe.

Quote:
David1; I know some synthetic oils are less or more then others as some have Group III and some have Group IV, Is there any out there with Group V ???

Anways a list would be nice

My question is, why?

Questions like this seem to indicate a lack of understanding about how oils are made, in spite of all the technical articles on BITOG.

Last edited:
ExxonMobil has made it pretty clear that they believe their Visom product when blended with PAO is equivalent to the older formulations. It's about performance, not composition adhering to prior practices.

Originally Posted By: Flareside302
Originally Posted By: Pablo

Not sure which you are asking but here is the list:

Lol, some people are gonna be like was it supposed to be a picture that didn't show up?!!?

But this is the true list.. There isn't any pure 100% GIV base

+1. Wish the silly wife's tale about needing some high grp vi content would just go away.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Flareside302
Originally Posted By: Pablo

Not sure which you are asking but here is the list:

Lol, some people are gonna be like was it supposed to be a picture that didn't show up?!!?

But this is the true list.. There isn't any pure 100% GIV base

+1. Wish the silly wife's tale about needing some high grp vi content would just go away.

Why a mix of G-IV/V is a better base to build with.. Which is what Amsoil signature series is. It's a group 4 and 5 mix.

Last edited:
The new format for MSDS sheets will show the percentages for the different basestocks. So, hopefully, next year we should know a lot more when they are updated.

Will they actually follow that, though?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: David1
Originally Posted By: pavelow
Originally Posted By: toyota62
Group IV
Mobil1
All blends of M1 or just certain ones?

Good Question

Im told the Mobile 1 EP is not Group IV

If anything the EP would include more pao than the regular line has to help the interval extension.

I know we have a 0w-40 distributed by co-op that says PAO in the top corner. What percentage isn't stated however a pure pao formulation has some inherent shortcomings with additive solubility being a major one.
David. The truth is whether an oil is more pao or less or all is truly irrelevant. What is relevant is the specs it meets or exceeds and how does it perform under the conditions it's placed in.
A pure pao oil isn't desirable. It's not polar and additives won't dissolve properly which means its not going to protect the engine as it should.
Oils today are a mix of most of the basestock groups. That way the finished product has the desired performance characteristics and perform as required as per the specification it meets.
A finished oil today is using a percentage or mix of multiple basestocks and focusing on just the oils basestock is a fools errand. Look at the specs the product meets.
Simple

I doubt that would be the best grade for your Honda.

Originally Posted By: David1
What about Mobil 1 High Milage

I read that only the 10W40 was the best grade for the High Milage Mobil 1

Where did you see this? I'm interested because I used to write MSDS for a large corporation. If anything we were deliberately vague so we didn't divulge trade secrets or compromise patents.

The new format for MSDS sheets will show the percentages for the different basestocks. So, hopefully, next year we should know a lot more when they are updated.

been lookin at the MSDS info on the amsoil site, even the signature series info DOES NOT look like all group IV + or V oils! can anyone clarify?? they are using the "propriety" word like others hiding their ingredients!!!!

I corrected that for you.

Originally Posted By: benjy
been lookin at the MSDS info on the amsoil site, even the signature series info DOES NOT look like all group IV + or V oils! can anyone clarify?? they are using the "propriety" word like others hiding their ingredients protecting their trade secrets !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back