Royal Purple 10w30 for Powerstroke 6.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought an 04 F350 with a 6.0 Powerstroke. It has about 193,000 miles on it. This is my first diesel, so I don't know a lot about it. It is running a little rough when it is cold, from everything I read this sounds like an injector stiction issue. I've got some diesel kleen in the tank and I'm going to try some Archoil AR9100.

Anyway, I have a bunch of Royal Purple 10w30 and 10w40 oil. 15 quarts to be exact, just what the Powerstroke needs. It is about 4 years old, just before they took the zinc out. (can't remember the spec) I want to use this oil up, I'm wondering if it would be any good in my engine? It's not diesel rated. Are there a lot of people running 10w30 in these motors? I understand it shears 40w down very quickly. I have half and half 10w30 and 10w40, can I mix them?

I am in Oregon and it doesn't get that cold here. I'll probably use a 5w in the future, but this is $130 worth of oil I'm not using...

Use the oil that is rated for that motor. Sell the other oil locally or use it on a family members auto that calls for that oil.

To answer one of your questions, yes there are several people using 10w-30 in the 6.0/7.3 Powerstroke engines as I am one of them.

Your oil needs to be "C" rated, and as you have pointed out it isn't diesel rated, so no don't use what you have on hand if it doesn't have CI or better. Actually I think the owners manual states CH is ok if CI or better isn't available, but that isn't your case.

Good luck with that engine.
I have several hundred in my fleet and they cost "an arm and a leg" to keep them up and running.
Double the cost of a gasoline 5.4L of same vintage.

The old RP 10w-40 is dual rated, but not with that recent of a diesel spec. I'm pretty sure it wasn't even CH-4. The RP 10w-30 definitely would not be dual rated, at least with anything approaching a modern diesel specification.

I don't think the oil will make it run smoother cold. There is a tsb to reprogram the ficm. Usually has to have an injector or two replaced. Make sure to change the fuel filters at 15k intervals, low fuel pressure will kill the injectors.

The lighter oil(5w-40/10w-30) will make for a smoother running cold engine, as long as everything else is up to snuff.

Check;

FICM voltage

have batteries load tested

oil cooler efficiency

Synthetic oil is not required in this engine as my current 6.0 has 191,000 mi. without issue using 10w-30 @ 7,500 OCI for over 100,000 mi.
It has been absolutely the best truck I have ever owned, while I admit I am the minority I haven't spent any money other than regular maintainence.
I did add a coolant filter as preventitive maintainence about 100,000 mi. ago, but no major or minor engine repairs.

How about Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40? I'm not set on synthetic but it's not much more than conventional oil at $26/gallon. I already have a couple quarts of that on hand also.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1

Check;

FICM voltage

oil cooler efficiency

I've got a Scangauge on the way. It's got a pair of new batteries, and also just had a new oil cooler, headgasket, studs, EGR delete, and a few other things I can't remember. (No cat either)

The dealer just changed my oil before I bought the truck, I'm guessing they used bulk 15w40. Given the injector issue that I am having, should I dump it now for a 5w? I still have more than 4,000 miles left on the oil.

Originally Posted By: Number21
The dealer just changed my oil before I bought the truck, I'm guessing they used bulk 15w40. Given the injector issue that I am having, should I dump it now for a 5w? I still have more than 4,000 miles left on the oil.

Why don't you return to the dealer and have them address the issue, assuming its a Ford dealer.

How about Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40? I'm not set on synthetic but it's not much more than conventional oil at $26/gallon. I already have a couple quarts of that on hand also.

Check;

FICM voltage

oil cooler efficiency

I've got a Scangauge on the way. It's got a pair of new batteries, and also just had a new oil cooler, headgasket, studs, EGR delete, and a few other things I can't remember. (No cat either)

I suggest devlac elite 222 0w-30. Its a synthetic which helps in the extended drain category,its a 30 grade hot which should help in the fuel economy department and its a 0w which should pump real fast which should help the injector department.
And I saw it hasn't been suggested by anyone yet. Its a Diesel engine oil so no compatibility concerns either.
Just a thought......

Why don't you return to the dealer and have them address the issue, assuming its a Ford dealer.

LOL! That is not how buying a used car works...Ford dealer or not.

I take it there was no warranty involved with the purchase?

If you are experiencing cold-start issues you need to have your FICM voltage checked along with your injectors. I have cold-started with 15w-40 in sub-zero weather without issue.

I made the switch to 10w-30 several years ago (over 100,000 mi. ago) and its the only viscosity I'll run in my 6.0/7.3 as long as I own them.
I really believe you have some sort of underlying issue that a lighter viscosity may help to mask, but not cure as unless its sub-zero where you're at its still October and there are going to be several months much colder than now.

Get it checked out and let us know.

I really believe you have some sort of underlying issue that a lighter viscosity may help to mask, but not cure as unless its sub-zero where you're at its still October and there are going to be several months much colder than now.

It very well might be a bad injector...but even if it is I'm going to have to "mask" it and make it run for as long as it will. I didn't expect to have zero problems at 193,000 miles. Archoil describes the problem I am having exactly, and claims their product will fix it, or at least mask it, for the long term. I don't normally believe claims like they are making but if it doesn't work in 100 miles I get my money back. That's quite a guarantee!

It doesn't get very cold here, 30 would be about the lowest, and that's pretty rare. Even so, I plan on adding an oil pan heater, and use it frequently with my block heater. Just no quick way to heat up 12+ gallons of fluids.

It doesn't have the problem if I leave the block heater plugged in for a few hours, so if it does have a 15w oil now, I am hopeful that a 5w should cure it at colder temps. I definitely want to check the FICM voltage.

FYI, a 10w-30 has virtually the same cold-flow properties as a 5w-40, for usually half the price.

I have read that the product you mentioned has worked, but you still need to check your FICM voltage as it may be contributing to your issue.
Check out [email protected].

OK, I'm confused about the different oil specs. My Ford manual says to use CI-4, CI-4/SL, or DHD-1. If CI-4 oil is not available, CH-4 is acceptable.

Royal Purple bottle says CH-4, CI-4/SL. Will it work? Can I mix the 10w30 and 10w40?

Royal Purple bottle says CH-4, CI-4/SL. Will it work? Can I mix the 10w30 and 10w40?

The 10w-40 will work fine as it meets the appropriate specifications. A friend of mine used to use it in his Cummins diesel. As for mixing with the RP 10w-30, I would not do it. You could get away with it if you were mixing it for a gasoline motor where both oils met the specification (both are SL rated). But, I wouldn't want to use the 10w-30 in any significant proportion in a modern diesel.

That's just me, though. I don't like mixing, and I prefer to meet or exceed specifications, rather than go with something inappropriate. Be aware that your RP 10w-30 is an SL/GF-3 lubricant, if I recall correctly. ILSAC rated lubes are not generally rated for use in diesels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back