Winter Tires - Michelin LTX MS2 or Cooper AT3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most bead leaks happen on wheels driven in the winter. It always starts on the backside at a clip-on wheel weight and moves on from there. Nobody can get all the salt washed off the back. I see chrome wheels that the rear bead is bubbled and peeling and the outer bead looks fine. I have also seen the hub center on chrome wheels bubbled so bad that makes it impossible to center on a wheel balancer. I have also seen all the chrome from inside the wheel laying in the tire, and big sheets of chrome peeling off the back of wheel and wrapped around the brake caliper. The chrome wheels on my truck that never see winter still look as good as they where 10 yrs. ago, other than where the hub face contacts steel and water gets trapped. A thin coating of anti-sieze seems to help.

Originally Posted By: Sequoiasoon
Did any of the Armada's come with 17" rims? (what about Titans I think same frame?. VERY limited choice in your 18" size. Tirerack shows a minus size (285-70-17) available but you would need to get the 17" rims. There is an LTX winter but not your size. If your looking for the pothole ability then the smaller rim is better anyway. My Sequoia has 17" summer, 16" winter and I run the Altimax Arctic's. I've hit potholes that others had flats and I (luckily) had no issue. The larger sidewall allows more flex at impact without pinching/bubbles. Sell the factory 18"s on craigslist/ebay, buy the black painted steel 17" in a style you like with the Altimax's and you will have an aggressive look, good ride, a little noisier than LTX M/S, BUT the ability to stop when needed and drive through 2 foot snow is almost priceless.

If the black painted get ruined you rattle can black again. If they bend you can hammer back to shape. Silver painted same deal. My Factory Alloys have taken a beating over the years and wouldn't clean up anymore. Taped them off and rattle canned silver twice already. They're winters , they'll get beat, step back ten feet or drive in traffic and nobody sees any different.

SequoiaSnow-2.jpg

18" was the smallest rim size for armadas and a 17" won't clear the 2006+ larger rotors.

At this point I def want an AT tire. It seems that the cooper discovery is an LT tire which I want to avoid and the Toyo Open Country at2 is 10 lbs heavier per tire which is a lot (~40 vs ~50 lbs).

The terra grappler seems to have diminishing grip as it wears.

Any others to add to the search?

Originally Posted By: spta97

18" was the smallest rim size for armadas and a 17" won't clear the 2006+ larger rotors.

At this point I def want an AT tire. It seems that the cooper discovery is an LT tire which I want to avoid and the Toyo Open Country at2 is 10 lbs heavier per tire which is a lot (~40 vs ~50 lbs).

I was looking at Tirerack where they listed 17" as a recommended option. I'm sure you've checked other forums to verify. My friends Titan had 17" on it so figured it was the same. Doesn't Tirerack or some others have a fitment guarantee for you to verify on your vehicle?

Otherwise Nokian Ratiiva AT in the stock 18". Nokian LT2 in 275-65-18 (a little smaller diameter. LTX Winter in 275-65-18

Find some cheap ebay 20" and go Hakkapelitta 7 SUV

Quote:
It seems that the cooper discovery is an LT tire which I want to avoid
I think the Cooper web site listing of the AT3 tires is incomplete or inaccurate. Search for your tire size and see what pops up--P sizes list this way that are not shown on the AT3 spec page.

Originally Posted By: Sequoiasoon

I was looking at Tirerack where they listed 17" as a recommended option. I'm sure you've checked other forums to verify. My friends Titan had 17" on it so figured it was the same. Doesn't Tirerack or some others have a fitment guarantee for you to verify on your vehicle?

Otherwise Nokian Ratiiva AT in the stock 18". Nokian LT2 in 275-65-18 (a little smaller diameter. LTX Winter in 275-65-18

Find some cheap ebay 20" and go Hakkapelitta 7 SUV

The Rotiiva is an LT tire which I would like to avoid. I called Nokian yeaterday an they sai it would be a much rougher ride. When you ask a Titan guy, they don't seem to have an issue with LT tires but that may be because it is a pickup. In either case, they are not recommended it an SUV like mine.

Nokian had a p metric in my size, Vatiiva I think, that has been disontinued and there is not much info on their site.

The Michelin winter x reviews have not been great on the sites I looked.

17"s won't work due to my larger rotors and calipers and I don't want to buy more wheels so ill stick with the 18"s I have.

I'm not sure why I am finding a lack of p metric tires in this size?

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Quote:
It seems that the cooper discovery is an LT tire which I want to avoid
I think the Cooper web site listing of the AT3 tires is incomplete or inaccurate. Search for your tire size and see what pops up--P sizes list this way that are not shown on the AT3 spec page.

I think you are right. Cooper seems to have the worst site (next to Goodyear). It's difficult to find the right info.

The coopers seem like the logical choose a I think I can get p metric, they are not that much heavier, and the tread is somewhat aggressive.

I really wish I could try the duratracs for a bit though.

You bought truck based SUV, what do you expect?

Krzys

To the contrary, almost all of the tires on Tire Rack in this size are either P-metric or Euro metric.

In fact, only two tires, the Goodyear Wrangler SR-A, and the Goodyearl Wrangler All Terrain Adventire with Kevlar, are LT tires. Everything else is either P-metric or Euro metric. You can tell by looking at the service description. If it says something like "114T" (like the BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A Tour), then it's a P-metric tire (or Euro metric). If it has a dual rating, something like "124/121S", then it's an LT tire. LT tires have dual ratings, for when the are used in a dual rear wheel application.

So to the contrary, most of your choices are P-metric (or Euro metric). Tire Rack lists that information in the tire size on their website. That very first tire, the BFGoodrich Radial Long Trail T/A Tour, is a P265/70R18.

If you are looking for an A/T tire in this size, check out the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo2, the Firestone Destination A/T, the General Grabber AT2, the Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure with Kevlar (they have a non-LT version), the Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor, or the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S. All of these are very good-to-excellent choices, and none of them are LT tires.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back