Hankook Winter I*Pike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the only decent winter tire I can afford this year, (send us some of that alleged Recovery, please) is the Hankook Winter I*Pike. Opinions?

Not that I absolutely _need_ winter tires. My H727s, installed in November 2012, have less than 10k miles on them and did well in their first winter last year. I don't need to drive for work or at night as much as I once did. So if I can't find a great deal on winter rubber I will survive, but:

All else equal I like to run winter tires when I can. We get black ice, snow squalls and freeze/re-freeze syndrome pretty often, though our annual snowfall totals are not huge.

Anyone have experience with the I-Pike in these conditions? Thanks.

And no: I am not a Hankook fanboy and all else equal prefer to buy USA-made tires. (or almost anything) For those of us on the fringes of the working-/middle-class, with heating season here, who need to count dollars when shopping for tires, (or almost anything) Hankook offers the best quality/value per dollar I've seen. Would not mind being proven wrong--especially with a made-in-USA product.

Yikes.. I had them for 1 winter on my Corolla... not a very good tire. Okay, here are my thoughts:

Good on snow, terrible on ice.

If I were you, why not go with a brand like Semperit? I am running studded Semperits now.. and while they are not Nokians, they are a decent tire. I bought my set used so I dont know where to get that brand. I would certainly try to find something better than Ipikes unless snow is your only worry. Or maybe get them studded if you can afford too?

Firestone winterforce are super cheap and handled everything I threw at them pretty well.

General Altimax Arctic are also great and $1 or $2 less than Winterforce, I believe.

Firestone WinterForce: $276

General Altimax Artic: $268

Dunlop Winter Maxx: $240 after rebate

Plus shipping and install. Possible plus sales tax.

Last edited:
I have heard good things about the Hankook iPike w409, as a stubbable snow tire, it's very similar to the Generals.... it will be decent in the snow...but ice...it's better when they are studded.

But for the conditions listed, the Blizzak WS60 is still available.

No clue on the I-pike but the winterforce I just heard WAY to many horror stories. The Altimax's I have and would recommend any day, being cheaper than the Firestones it's a no brainer.

Insulation and heating controls can often pay for themselves and then some in a short time. I did insulation and new boiler/ water heater that payed for itself within in one year. went from 1400 gal of oil to 650 gallons.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. When I have time later today I will post a list of all the winter tires I can order, with prices and specs, so you can see how I settled (sort of) on the I-Pike.

Let's see what sales DTD/DTD-eBay lists soon, too. Shopping for tires online is just too much fun.

Good results here with the studded I-Pike.

The Mrs., who does not like to drive on snow, was driving our FWD Volvo on a snow base 4 lane highway when she saw a jacked up 4x4 truck pull into the left lane to pass her. She maintained her speed and position in the right lane. When she looked into the mirror next she saw the 4x4 rolling over in the median...and she was traveling straight and steady on the studded I-Pikes. Sure, the 4x4 driver probably did plenty wrong, but our Volvo was running securely on the I-Pikes. That car is sold, and with a clear conscience I'll sell the still-good Hankooks on Craigs list soon. No, no shipping to Penn--local pick up only, size 185/65R15 on 5-lug FWD Volvo steelies, 8/32" remaining tread depth.

those tires aren't remarkably cheaper than some much better alternatives.

save up the 10-15$ a tire difference.

also wait for a black friday deal.

The dunlop MAXX looks interesting for 240$ after rebate.
Its a very new tire design.. and with tires.. a new design may pass the best design from a few years previously.

the dunlop is also from JAPAN. a definite + vs some COO's

Last edited:
Which iPike are we talking about here?
Maybe it's different where you are, but here there are multiple models. The ones I have (which will not fit my current car now) are iPike W409 which have pretty good reviews.

The RC01 iPike on the other hand, not so good.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Which iPike are we talking about here?
Maybe it's different where you are, but here there are multiple models. The ones I have (which will not fit my current car now) are iPike W409 which have pretty good reviews.

The RC01 iPike on the other hand, not so good.

iPike W409 is what I mean.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Firestone winterforce are super cheap and handled everything I threw at them pretty well.

General Altimax Arctic are also great and $1 or $2 less than Winterforce, I believe.

Truth be told, I cannot find Firestone Winterforce super cheap or even semi-cheap. Firestone in general is price-creeping its way out of consideration for the frugal and poor, it seems. We only got a pair of Affinity Touring tires for my lady's Taurus since they were BOGO 50% off.

Where can I find cheap Winterforce tires? Thanks.

OK, here is my list of potential winter tires. Cash is king this year. Considerations:

1. Nokian, Michelin and Blizzak are out of my price range. Alas.

2. Will likely order online and install locally, at Firestone or indy shop. Prices at tire shops around here cannot match the 'shop carefully online with rebates' route; though I will try to get them to price match, it's not likely. (No DT/AT here and it shows; we could use something like that.)

3. My Saturn specs OE 185/65/14 85S. The prior year it was 175/70/14 84S. Either size works for me; if I get 175/70 and Firestone refuses to install it under CYA, I have a backup plan for install.

4. Figure on appx. $60 for installation, since I will keep the H727s taken off and save the disposal fee; also no TPMS.

5. Was surprised to find Firestone Winterforce so expensive, (relatively). If I cannot find a better price it is out of the running. Will keep shopping hard online for the next few weeks, for sure.

6. Point of manufacture is not a deal-breaker---but made in USA is a plus, made in China is a minus, while made Anywhere Else is in between.

OK, here goes. Prices are shipped to my door, after all rebates.

GT Radial Champiro IcePro
$165
185/65/14
90T XL
studdable
made in China

Hankook Winter I*Pike RS W419
$213
175/70/14
88T XL
studdable
made in Korea

Falken Espia EPZ
$233
185/65/14
86Q
studless/friction
made in ???

Eldorado Winter Claw EXTreme Grip (Cooper private label)
$236
175/70/14
84T
studdable
made in USA (pretty sure)

General Altimax Arctic
$237
185/65/14
86Q
studdable
made in Germany

Goodyear Nordic Winter
$238.76
175/70/14
84S
studdable
made in ???

Cooper Weather-Master S/T 2
$241
185/65/14
86T
studdable
made in USA

Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter
$253.78
175/70/14
84T
studdable
made in USA

Dunlop Winter Maxx
$270.38
175/70/14
84T
studless/friction
made in Japan

Firestone Winterforce
$305.25
185/65/14
86S
studdable
made in Argentina

In the breaking news dept.: Found a better price on GY Ultra Grip Winter: $239.09 at tirebuyer.com.

So, why is it so hard to edit a post here, and why does the edit option expire so quickly? It's not like this is a final exam. Love the site overall, though. Learned a lot....

If cash is king then the cheapest option to get you 4 new good tires. Never tried GT Radial, I think I saw some once on a train station beater car. How is the rubber compound? I think back to old snow tires that were hard rubber but blocky/open tread and studs.

My vote would be the German made Altimax.

Something else to consider heavily. Spare steel rims from junkyard or somewhere (tirerack sells new) or factory rims from ebay/craigslist. It will cost you $60-100 to mount your snows now, BUT it will cost you $60-100 in spring to put the Hankooks back on. It will be the same next year and the year after. I normally get 4-5 seasons out of my snows. My spare Sequoia rims (factory alloy) were the most expensive I bought @ $200 shipped for all 4 in 2003 from ebay. 10 years at $120 every winter and you see where it pays fast.

Originally Posted By: krzyss
I would go with known entity and buy Continental EWC.

Krzys

Also a solid recommendation. I have the Continental EWC on the Sonata (quietest snow tire I ever had) and the Altimax Arctic on the Sequoia. The bonus with EWC is you can cross rotate if they wear weird.

Originally Posted By: Sequoiasoon
Originally Posted By: krzyss
I would go with known entity and buy Continental EWC.

Krzys

Also a solid recommendation. I have the Continental EWC on the Sonata (quietest snow tire I ever had) and the Altimax Arctic on the Sequoia. The bonus with EWC is you can cross rotate if they wear weird.

Thanks, but the EWC does not come in my size---or any 14-inch, it seems. Altimax Arctic could happen....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back