Castrol TWS 10W60 vs Pennzoil Ultra 10W60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about trying pennzoil ultra instead of the usual tws in my M5. Any info or voa on the ultra in 60 weight?

Do you really think you require a 10W-60 in your 11 year old M5?
Do you track the car?
Does your oil temp' even get above 212F?

May want to compare notes with member OVERKILL who runs 0W/5W-40 oil in his '01 M5 including including some past track use.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The Ultra afaik was only available in a drum. I`m not sure they still even make it.

Helix is available in 10w60, which is Ultra. Problem is that Ferrari has largely stopped using it in their cars and has moved to Helix 5w40 instead.

Helix 10w60 is quite a heavy oil with HTHS 5.4. It's still on the shelves here and carries the Fiat 9.55535 H3 Approval for all the other Fiat Group cars that spec 10w60

Originally Posted By: supercity
Helix 10w60 is quite a heavy oil with HTHS 5.4. It's still on the shelves here and carries the Fiat 9.55535 H3 Approval for all the other Fiat Group cars that spec 10w60

Castrol Edge Professional TWS 10w60 is 5.4, but tests have shown it shears down to around 4.5 pretty quickly then holds steady.

Interesting, TSW maybe dealer only here, I've never seen it for sale.

Castrol Edge w/ti FST 10w60 is the common one sold here which has an HTHS of 5.1.

Originally Posted By: jdmstr22
Thinking about trying pennzoil ultra

Where are you finding it for sale? I've never seen it apart from on paper.

They're the same in one aspect: you can't get them!

Instead, use GC. AAP has it on sale, 5 qt with a Fram Ultra filter, for $31.99. Don't be fooled by that scary F-word: Ultra is nothing like the evil orange can of death that's ready to haunt you at the end of this month!

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

Instead, use GC. AAP has it on sale, 5 qt with a Fram Ultra filter, for $31.99. Don't be fooled by that scary F-word: Ultra is nothing like the evil orange can of death that's ready to haunt you at the end of this month!

A FRAM Ultra for an M5 eh? You obviously aren't familiar with the filter setup on this car.

FRAM lists ONE filter for the S62, and the picture shows it to be a relabelled Hengst.
smirk.gif

OP: I'd use M1 0w-40, there are MANY guys using it in the S62, the vast majority of course owning post 03/00 cars like yourself and I, though the odd pre-03/00 owner has indeed experimented with non-TWS lubricants as well.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

A FRAM Ultra for an M5 eh? You obviously aren't familiar with the filter setup on this car.

FRAM lists ONE filter for the S62, and the picture shows it to be a relabelled Hengst.
smirk.gif

+1 on the fram comment!

Have you done any uoas with 40 weight? Ive always been affraid to stray from tws...

OP: I'd use M1 0w-40, there are MANY guys using it in the S62, the vast majority of course owning post 03/00 cars like yourself and I, though the odd pre-03/00 owner has indeed experimented with non-TWS lubricants as well.

i usually go with the OEM Hengst filter. GC is too thin.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The Ultra afaik was only available in a drum. I`m not sure they still even make it.

I have a 5 gallon drum of the 10W60 ultra

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Do you track the car?

May want to compare notes with member OVERKILL who runs 0W/5W-40 oil in his '01 M5 including including some past track use.

Car is specd for 10W60.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

smirk.gif

+1 on the fram comment!

Have you done any uoas with 40 weight? Ive always been affraid to stray from tws...

Yes I did, but it was a winter run so there was some rather insane fuel dilution. I'll try and get one of the PU that's currently in the car (though the weather is getting cold right now) before my winter change to M1 0w-40 again.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Do you track the car?

Car is specd for 10W60.

Only in the USA (you'll probably find this funny).

In Canada, Germany and I believe the rest of the world, the post 03/00 cars all spec LL-01 oils.

Something just came to me.

Instead of hunting for unobtainable TWS or PU 10w60, many Napas sell Lubro Moly 10w60 for about $10/L, or $50 for a 5L jug.

Something just came to me.

Instead of hunting for unobtainable TWS or PU 10w60, many Napas sell Lubro Moly 10w60 for about $10/L, or $50 for a 5L jug.

It also isn't an approved BMW lubricant, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back