Miata oil filter problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears that the manufacture of the Miata OEM oil filter has changed. This is a result of a merger between Tennex and Malfe, a german company.
The Miata OEM is now made by Malfe I believe and is about .4cm smaller in dia and the o-ring is also .4 cm smaller. Then new filter does not appear to flow as well and older miata's with real oil pressure gauges are reporting lower oil pressure. The new filter is the size of all the aftermarket filters for this application I guess. The only filter that is close to the tennex is the Bosch premium for the MX6. This filter has the same size o-ring but the filter inself is smaller in dia but longer in length. Anyone know if Tennex makes another brand of aftermarket?? I checked stp,fram,mobil1 and bosch for a good replacement with only the bosch looking reasonable. Any other suggestions?
See filters: http://home.nycap.rr.com/boatxprt/Filters.htm

The K&N is not sold in my area. The Napa Gold will probably have to be special ordered. Plan to check out Purolator as it is sold locally. The K&N is being tested by a miata owner with a real pressure guage on Miata.net so we will know
how well this one flows soon.

quote:

Originally posted by TR3-2001SE:
The K&N is being tested by a miata owner with a real pressure guage on Miata.net so we will know how well this one flows soon.

Please post back and let us know! FWIW, I run the Pure One 14459.

Robert
turbo 94M

quote:

Originally posted by TR3-2001SE:
The K&N is not sold in my area. The Napa Gold will probably have to be special ordered. Plan to check out Purolator as it is sold locally. The K&N is being tested by a miata owner with a real pressure guage on Miata.net so we will know
how well this one flows soon.

I'm sure you could find a Wix filter in your area quite easily. A lot of small parts stores carry these filters. Carquests also have their premium filter which is the same, and there are tons of those locations in North America.

Why not go with a K&N oil filter or a Wix/NAPA Gold? Construction on either of these filters is excellent.

I checked most filters avaliable for this application and found an exact replacement. It is a Purolator Premium Plus and sells for slightly more than a standard Purolator Premium Plus. Most of their filters sell at 2.99. This filter is 4.49. It has the same size can and o-ring and is specified for this application L14612. All others were smaller with flat o-ring and much smaller holes in the filter. Even my filter wrench fits this one. Don't know about the Wix but I checked a Carquest Premium and it was not close at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back