Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 in Winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running an '04 Subaru Impreza WRX, with a stock twin-cam turbo gasoline engine. I've heard this T6 oil is great for turbos and that it has the largest market share in the heavy duty diesel engine oil category.

Is there any issue with using this weight of Shell Rotella T6 for the Winter? I'm in Toronto, Canada so we'll get snow for 5 months, but I park it in an underground garage during the week and walk to work.

I've run a collection of top consumer synthetic oils previously; Syntec, EDGE, Mobil 1, and even an Amsoil for diesel engines (API CJ-4), and take it to the track in the Summer.

image.1676529833.gif

Wq9QkD8.jpg

Even when my OEM STI battery was near the end of its useful life, it still started just fine in ~ -5-7C. With a new battery, I noticed no difference between Rotella T6 and Amsoil's Euro 5W-30 with regard to starting. I also didn't notice a change in gas mileage.

It's good that you get to park in an underground garage, but unless it's heated, that shouldn't affect your choice.

Also, unless you're mod'd and tuned, I'm not so sure 15W-40 is warranted (what you currently have listed, not T6.) Something like Rotella T6 will be shear-stable enough for track days and DD.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Seems thicker than necessary. It will work, but why sap power and gas mileage if you don't have to?

My '04 WRX has solid lifters & valve lash shims, so I expect Rotella T6 to keep them quiet and protected.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Also, unless you're mod'd and tuned, I'm not so sure 15W-40 is warranted (what you currently have listed, not T6.) Something like Rotella T6 will be shear-stable enough for track days and DD.

Stock parts and tune.
15W-40 is in it now, and was for the Summer. It's time to change the oil, so I'm looking for a good Winter option.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Just run a 5W-30 syn that meets the HTO-06 turbo spec'.

Since you track your car I trust you have oil gauges.

What oil examples meet this HTO-06 turbo spec, Caterham?

And no mods, aside from a cat-less turbo up pipe and a turbo blanket. No oil gauges on my previous '09 STi either, but I agree with you that they add value, security and peace of mind.

I'm not a fan of RT6 for gasoline turbo applications. I run it in my Dodge diesel Ram and it does just fine, but it never sees exhaust temperatures above 1300 F. Gasoline turbo's easily exceed 1650 F. Also, RT6 has a large amount of Magnesium-based detergency, which I try to avoid for gasoline engines. Like Caterham says, look for a full-synthetic with the Honda HTO-06 rating. Mobil 1 5w30 has it. AMSoil 0w30 Signature Series has it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: LaszloToth

M1 5w-30, PP 5w-30.

Quite a bit of (somewhat substantiated) hate on 30 grade oils in the turbo Subaru community, especially Mobil 1. Probably greatly exaggerated, and likely a better winter fill however. I'd never imagine of subjecting a turbo sube to track or track like conditions with that in the sump tho.

Of course the spec' Idemitsu made Subaru and Honda syn' 5W-30s meet the HTO-06 spec' plus quite a few other name brand syn's.
Others off the top are:
Petro-Canada 5W-30
Pennzoil Platnium 5W-30
Mobil 1 5W-30

Yes especially if you track your car at least an OP gauge if not an OP/OT combo gauge is a very prudent mod' to install.
The possibility of oil starvation is always a concern at the track especially if you've installed very sticky rubber.
One of the benefits of an OP gauge is that it makes choosing the right oil viscosity easy with no guessing.

I run it in my tractor in the winter and it started quite easily at -15C without a block or coolant heater.
I also ran it in my Neon for the summer autocross and lapping days. I had to run the heater to keep the coolant temps below boil over(stayed in the low 220's), so who knows what the oil temp or pressure was.
I guess all I can say is that, it kept an older engine together at maximum stress for like 6 hours of track time. Probably lots of other oil would have worked too, maybe an ordinary conventional 5W30 wouldn't have?
I like it because its tough, cheap, and I can run it anything I own(except my focus) in any temperature for extended intervals.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
One of the benefits of an OP gauge is that it makes choosing the right oil viscosity easy with no guessing.

Super information, Caterham. And we're neighbours, too.

The turbo Subaru crowd loves T6 for a good reason. There are many UOAs showing it being very successful. Use it all winter with confidence, but if you can find the Canadian T6 0w-40, that should help out a bit in the coldest parts of the winter.

M1 5w-30, PP 5w-30.

Also Quaker State UD and Havoline Syn: both 5W-30...

Originally Posted By: RobS

M1 5w-30, PP 5w-30.

Quite a bit of (somewhat substantiated) hate on 30 grade oils in the turbo Subaru community, especially Mobil 1. Probably greatly exaggerated, and likely a better winter fill however. I'd never imagine of subjecting a turbo sube to track or track like conditions with that in the sump tho.

For some reason they are convinced that M1 causes the engines to fail.

Has nothing to do with the fact that they are running huge amounts of boost on stock internals ... or flogging the living daylights out of the car.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
The turbo Subaru crowd loves T6 for a good reason. There are many UOAs showing it being very successful. Use it all winter with confidence, but if you can find the Canadian T6 0w-40, that should help out a bit in the coldest parts of the winter.

I didn't know UOA's were a valid way to gauge engine wear. Condition of the oil yes, but not engine wear.

Is there really a need for three ongoing WRX threads?!?!
lol.gif

This is the bitog rule. If you do not own a turbocharged Subaru, most will say to run 5W-30.

Those that have owned Subaru turbos (except for 2 or 3) usually recommend Rotella T6, Mobil1 0W-40, or German Castrol 0W-30.

The only time I hear of anyone using 15W-40 is for a short run for breaking in a built engine.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: Brent_G
Originally Posted By: Bandito440

I didn't know UOA's were a valid way to gauge engine wear. Condition of the oil yes, but not engine wear.

Maybe my reading skillz are lacking, but I do not see Bandito mentioning using uoa's to gauge engine wear.

-Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back