2004 BMW 525i Power Steering fluid recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine has a 2004 BMW 525i. He was saying that his power steering system MUST use CHF 11S.

After doing some reading, it looks like he can also use Dexron III.

Just wanting to get some input on this.

My wife's 2004 530i has adaptive steering, so I don't use anything but CHF 11S. You can order it from O'Reilly's or Amazon. Compared to ATF, it's expensive, but consider how much that steering system would cost to replace.

The recommended fluid will be listed on the power steering fluid reservoir in the engine compartment. BMW's of that era used either the CHF 11S hydraulic fluid or Dexron ATF. If CHF 11S, there is no compatible replacement fluid.

Where did you do the reading? In the owner's manual? What's on the reservoir cap? The cap should have the fluid listed.

My local NAPA carries Pentosin CHF fluids, they aren't hideously expensive. If the BMW calls for that I wouldn't use anything else.

And it's not just the LAD suspensions that single out the use of CHF fluids. My 530i without the LAD says only CHF 11S.

Originally Posted By: stchman
A friend of mine has a 2004 BMW 525i. He was saying that his power steering system MUST use CHF 11S.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Where did you do the reading? In the owner's manual? What's on the reservoir cap? The cap should have the fluid listed.

My local NAPA carries Pentosin CHF fluids, they aren't hideously expensive. If the BMW calls for that I wouldn't use anything else.

And it's not just the LAD suspensions that single out the use of CHF fluids. My 530i without the LAD says only CHF 11S.

I read some stuff over at bimmerforums.

Prestone makes a European power steering fluid called AS268 that says it is for systems that use CHF 11S.

If the owner's manual says CHF 11S and/or the cap, then I wouldn't use anything else IMHO. I can't believe someone on Bimmerforums would suggest using Dex III unless the manual allows it. Reading it on a forum (even this one) isn't always good advice.

Why are you working so hard to use something else? You're looking at Amsoil and Prestone AS268, why not just get some CHF 11S? It's really not that hard and I'm sure there's someplace in St. Louis that sells it.

You didn't help him out by putting Dex III in his car, did you?

If the owner's manual says CHF 11S and/or the cap, then I wouldn't use anything else IMHO. I can't believe someone on Bimmerforums would suggest using Dex III unless the manual allows it. Reading it on a forum (even this one) isn't always good advice.

Why are you working so hard to use something else? You're looking at Amsoil and Prestone AS268, why not just get some CHF 11S? It's really not that hard and I'm sure there's someplace in St. Louis that sells it.

You didn't help him out by putting Dex III in his car, did you?

I have not suggested anything to him other than follow the owners manual.

After downloading the owners manual from BMW, they make no recommendation on the type of fluid used in the power steering.

I guess that BMW does not require power steering fluid maintenance.

Over at bimmerforums there are quite a few threads that state if the caps says ATF, use Dex III/VI, and if CHF-11, you need Pentosin.

What I did find that was interesting was that BMW states plainly in their manual that the automatic transmission fluid, manual transmission fluid, and differential fluid are all lifetime with no changes needed.

After downloading the owners manual from BMW, they make no recommendation on the type of fluid used in the power steering.

Over at bimmerforums there are quite a few threads that state if the caps says ATF, use Dex III/VI, and if CHF-11, you need Pentosin.

What I did find that was interesting was that BMW states plainly in their manual that the automatic transmission fluid, manual transmission fluid, and differential fluid are all lifetime with no changes needed.

I change all the fluids at @60k in my E90 3er and X3, and at @30k in my Club Sport and MS3 track rats(Mazda doesn't call for transaxle oil changes either). No one that plans to keep their BMWs for extended periods consider any fluid to be a lifetime fill...

OK, look at the cap then, it will tell you what is required. If it does say ATF you are good to go with Dex III. But if it says CHF-11 like it does on mine then I would follow it.

And yeah, lifetime maintenance. I know you know what that means.

Mine takes ATF
21.gif
LOL!

Wow, once again you in Canada are paying a lot more than we do here in the US. Even my little local NAPA sells it for a lot less than that.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Mine takes ATF

That's not fair. You should be required to use $30/litre Pentosin like I had to with my Audi.

Wow, once again you in Canada are paying a lot more than we do here in the US. Even my little local NAPA sells it for a lot less than that.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Mine takes ATF

That's not fair. You should be required to use $30/litre Pentosin like I had to with my Audi.

I didn't even try to source the MTF for my car locally (it is insane through the dealer, even with a discount), I just bought it directly from Turner Motorsport (the Pentosin version) which was FAR more reasonable
thumbsup2.gif

Actually, I did find it cheaper once, at the VW/Audi dealership. With their label on it, it was $25 a litre, but wasn't as convenient as my preferred parts store. Let's put it this way. The price of the stuff was a very good incentive for me to order some O-rings, do the oddball Audi FSM recommended drag link socket modification, and reseal my power steering unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back