Oil recomendation 05 Hyundai Sonata 2.7 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post although I'm a long time reader of BITOG

I recently bought a 2005 Hyundai Sonata 2.7 V6 176,000kms and am about 4,000kms into an oil change on conventional oil. So far, the car has done well - from what I can tell, it hasn't used any oil and there aren't any leaks as the engine appears dry. The oil has also stayed a nice golden brown and looks pretty good for 4,000kms.

Hyundai recommends a 6,000kms OCI and 5w20 for this engine. I live in Canada where it can get very cold during the winter (WELL below 0 degrees)and am interested in perhaps running synthetic to help with cold starts.

The problem is I'm the new owner and know little about how the car was maintained before I purchased it. My impression is that it has been maintained relatively well, although I am aware there are risks when switching an engine with higher mileage over. Reading other posts, it seems people are divided on the issue.

So ... should I stick with conventional, make a full switch to synthetic or try a synthetic blend to see how the engine likes synthetic?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I am a fan of conventional oils as they are getting better & better with each new rating. But as you mentioned, winters can get very cold and during those months and you may want that extra bit of startup protection and the longevity that syn oils provide during those months

What we don't know is...how cold does it get where you live? and is synthetic really needed? IDK!
smile.gif

Without breaking the bank, there are plenty of synthetic oil available in your required grade and I would pick one that is reasonably priced and try it!

If you've beed surfing BITOG for any length of time, you'll know that a wealth of information is on it's way
laugh.gif

Thanks for the reply Char Baby!

Where I live, it can get to -30 to -35 degrees celcius (not sure what that is in Fahrenheit), sometimes colder with the wind. Days that bad are relatively rare, although they do happen.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
I would definitely recommend a 0w-20 for those temperatures.

+1. I would go on to say a quality 0-20 synthetic will serve your engine very well year round.

Originally Posted By: mannyhs
Thanks for the reply Char Baby!

Where I live, it can get to -30 to -35 degrees celcius (not sure what that is in Fahrenheit), sometimes colder with the wind. Days that bad are relatively rare, although they do happen.

Yea, that's colder than what I experience here in Western NY State. -30 c is -22 f here. We only get about -10 f but, much of the state can easily meet or exceed those same tempuratures that you are experiencing.

Deffinately use a synthetic oil for your colder temps.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
I would definitely recommend a 0w-20 for those temperatures.

Agreed. ZeroW oils in a cold climate, especially a 20 version. Gets the engine thru that stressfull startup better. And, for an older car especially, try Mazda 0w-20, one of the rare modern synthetics with very high Moly to embed itself into those worn scratches inside your engine.

I agree on the synthetic 0w20. I live in ohio and run 0w in the winter 5w in the summer.not near as cold as Canada but why not. don't know if you have napas up there but I just picked up their 0w20 syn for 3.49/qt. (yes I know its "only" grp III)

Thank you for all of great posts!

So, you don't think given the age and mileage of the vehicles, I should worry too much about going straight to synthetic?

I think it will be fine no matter what you do - 0W synth or 5W dino. It didn't just get cold in Canada yesterday and engines survived fine before 0W oils were even around. If it leaks with synthetic - then just go back to dino on your next change. Certainly, with winter looming, now is the time to experiment with 0W going forward.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigt61
I think it will be fine no matter what you do - If it leaks with synthetic - then just go back to dino on your next change.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks everyone!

Synthetics are known for their cold-starting capabilities but also their ability to clean the engine. Are there some synthetics that don't clean as much as others, or have less detergents, and may reduce the chance of springing a leak, so to speak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back