Penrite 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zloveraz
The point is all about fuel economy....

I've been told time and time again on this forum that xW-20 have nothing whatsoever to do with fuel economy.

I like the idea of 5W-20, gives me another way of thinning out HDMO without pushing the ads around too much.

Originally Posted By: Ranchu
What's the point? We don't suffer extreme cold weather like they do in North America and Europe.

From Mobil US web..............

Ask Mobil Ask Mobil
Is 0W-20 Motor Oil Suitable for Use in Hot Climates

Ask Your Stickiest Question. . . Or ask us something you’ve always wanted to know about using our products. We’ll sort through all the submissions and present the best questions to our automotive experts. We'll share the questions and their answers here.

Question:
Okay, I am having trouble believing that 0W-20 oil is thick enough for the Florida heat (in summer). I have a new Tacoma. I have no problem with the 0W part (cold starting) that seems good but 20 weight in the heat of summer does not seem to be enough. Even the manual says if you are towing or going at excessively high speeds, it might be necessary to use a higher viscosity oil. Please help me get to the truth. I do not want to have what I would consider premature wear due to CAFE standards needing to be met, I am all for gas mileage but I am not willing to sacrifice the life of my engine for an extra 146.00 dollars in gas savings over a hundred thousand miles!!!! I will and have always changed my own oil, and Mobil 1 has been my brand ever since I worked at a gas station for my first job as a teenager. But I need some clarification on this 0W-20 weight, I do believe 5W-30 is better suited to the Florida climate, especially when you consider the fact that I tow a boat at least once a week.
-- Gary Gilmore, Panama, FL
Answer:
Mobil 1 0W-20 is certainly robust enough to handle the climate in Florida, but considering there is additional towing involved, Mobil 1 5W-30 can provide the extra viscosity you may need when towing.

Originally Posted By: toyota62
Ranchu said:
What's the point?
From Mobil US web.............. Ask Mobil ........ Ask Your Stickiest Question. . . \

Question:
Okay, I am having trouble believing that 0W-20 oil is thick enough for the Florida heat (in summer). .......I do believe 5W-30 is better suited to the Florida climate, especially when you consider the fact that I tow a boat at least once a week.
-- Gary Gilmore, Panama, FL

Answer:
Mobil 1 0W-20 is certainly robust enough to handle the climate in Florida, but considering there is additional towing involved, Mobil 1 5W-30 can provide the extra viscosity you may need when towing.

"Or if you do some spirited driving without towing a 5w30 grade may be better in hot climates to provide the additional protection, which probably applies to most us in OZ."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: zloveraz
The point is all about fuel economy....

I've been told time and time again on this forum that xW-20 have nothing whatsoever to do with fuel economy.

I like the idea of 5W-20, gives me another way of thinning out HDMO without pushing the ads around too much.

I don't think any oil is all about fuel economy but I do believe it is more of a factor when comparing xW-20 weights.

It's interesting in that Penrite only mentions "it is designed to maximize fuel economy" for the 5W-20 product but drops that statement for every other weight.

5W-20:
"Enviro+ 5W-20 is a highly advanced, full synthetic, fuel efficient, low viscosity engine oil manufactured using the latest advances in mid SAPS (Sulphated Ash, Phosphorus and Sulphur) additive technology. It meets the European ACEA C2 specification and API SN. It is designed to maximise fuel economy as well as providing complete protection for vehicles running low viscosity engine oils".

5W-30:
"Enviro+ 5W-30 is a highly advanced, full synthetic, SAE 5W-30, Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) warranty approved engine oil manufactured using the latest advances in low to mid SAPS (Sulphated Ash, Phosphorus and Sulphur) additive technology.
Enviroa 5W-30 is a low SAPS oil approved by BMW, Mercedes Benz, Porsche and Volkswagen for use in petrol and diesel cars and 4WDs including those fitted with Diesel Particulate Filters (DPFs)."

Originally Posted By: toyota62
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products.php?id_categ=1&id_brand=2&id_products=484

At last we are getting ultra low viscosity oils in Down Under.

I wouldn't refer to it as an "ultra low viscosity oil" as that really applies to the high VI OEM 0W-20's.
It appears to be a 5W-20 (virgin VI of 155) typical to what's commonly available in North America. To bad that Penrite doesn't provide HTHSV spec's but I would assume 2.6cP.
I also would assume it's a GP 3 based oil.

I hope it's cheaper than the superior Fuchs Titan GT-1 0W-20.
The Fuchs oil with a HTHSV of 2.75-2.8cP is likely a heavier oil.

I find it interesting the 5w20 PDS states an "After Shear Viscosity at 100ºC , 90 cycles". Is this a standard?

20 grades and SN/GF-5 oils in general do seem to slowly becoming more popular. This Penrite Enviro+ 5w20 and also the 5w30 was on the shelf in my local auto parts store today. They also had Fuchs GT1 0w20 and other SN/GF-5 conventional lubes.

Penrite 5w20 is about half the price of Fuchs 0w20. I bought Enviro+ 5w30 for my Toyota. It seems to be a good deal overall.

I like that they stated this spec:

After Shear Viscosity at 100ºC , 90 cycles - 8.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back