2006 Toyota Highlander Oil Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need your advice regarding an oil recommendation for a 2006 Toyota Highlander. The motor is the 2.4L 2AZ-FE inline 4 cylinder and has approximately 63,000 miles on it. It has seen the dealer 5w30 dino all its life following the 3,000 OCI.

Driving style will include a 50/50 split between city/highway. I would like to safely extend the OCI to 5,000 miles. I want an oil that will do its job to allow the motor's life to reach 150,000 miles and beyond. I want to stick with the same oil year round. The lowest temperature in the winter can be close to 0*F while the summer months can reach to 90*F.

What would be a strong oil choice for my application?

The 2.4 really is a good engine that can handle 5000 mile OCI's on dino with no problems. Initially, that same engine in the Highlander was specd for 7500 mile oci (on conventional) and when the sludging issues appeared on the 3.0 V6 all Toyota SUV's were changed over to 5000 miles.

So anyway, 5000 miles is no problem. If it makes you feel better there certainly are many synthetics for just a few bucks more but a conventional will do. I go 7500 miles on Pennzoil Platinum or Valvoline Synpower, whatever's cheaper.

5-30 is easy enough, though Toyota has back specd the 2.4 Highlanders for 5-20 and 0-20. A strong oil would IMO be a cheap 5-30 synthetic. I think the Rotella 10-30 would be too thick for winter. 150,000 miles is nothing for the engine.

Change the tranny fluid yet? Heat control knob is tight?

Just wanted to add that I concur with Bepperb. I also have a 2004 Highlander with the 4 cyl engine. It's the wife's former vehicle but now my daughters drive it when they're home from college. Lately I've been driving it more since it gets 2X the mileage of my Tundra. I get some funny looks driving it on post because it's got girly stuff all over it but I digress...

I've always done 5K OCI's on it. It has 77K on it now and I'm truly expecting it to go over 200K.

I've mostly used PYB 5W-30 and like any other quality oil, dino or synth, it works well. This past winter I used Mobil 0W-30 AFE and I was very pleased with what seemed to be easier startups. I think I'm going to stick with Mobil 0W-30 during the winter and PYB the rest of the year.

Also, just as Bepperb mentioned, I had the transmission fluid changed at 45K and that made a noticeable difference. I plan to do it again at 90K. If you have not yet had yours changed, I urge you to consider it.

Still on the original factory battery too.

I switched my wife's '04 XTerra over from Valvoline white bottle to Valvoline Max Life semi-syn at around 70k and it now has just over 100k. It runs like a Swiss watch and I fully expect it to easily surpass 150k with no issues. I like the seal conditioners and detergent pack in ML for my vehicles with higher mileage.

my cousin just bought a 2006 toyota highlander with the 4 cyl, 70,000 miles. ill be doing all the maintenence on it. how many quarts of oil does it take, the owners manual is MIA. thinking of running MC 5W30 syn blend in it, is that good enough for hot lousiana summers?

I was thinking PYB 5w30 would be a smart choice as would MC 5w30 blend. Although synthetics are a few more bucks, I still have to consider them as options.

How would Rotella T6 5w40 do in this motor?

About 4.5 quarts with a filter.

40 weight IMO would be to thick, even a synthetic 5-40.

Is 5-30 good enough for summer? Well, if a 20 weight is good enough (and it is) a 30 weight is certainly fine. I load mine up and tow on 5-30 in the summer.

Would Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 be alright with my 06 Highlander V6? I live in Toronto, Ontario in Canada. The weather in the winter gets down to -40 degrees Cel if it matters but its not that often.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Matryx
Would Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 be alright with my 06 Highlander V6? I live in Toronto, Ontario in Canada. The weather in the winter gets down to -40 degrees Cel if it matters but its not that often.

5w20 yr rnd and 5k OCI. 250k easy on that motor. Dino or Blend

Originally Posted By: T_CUDA
Originally Posted By: Matryx

5w20 yr rnd and 5k OCI. 250k easy on that motor. Dino or Blend

Thank you. Just wondering usually the dealer says 5k OCI with the amount of months. My parents don't drive the Highlander much so how many months do you suggest I should change it at if I don't reach 5k miles in a 6 month period?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back