Replace both headlights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My right headlight burned out a couple days ago so on the way home last night I stopped by Wal-Mart and picked up a Sylvania halogen bulb. $8.88 and installed it this morning. 95 Nissan d21 truck. I've always heard to replace both when one goes out, but we'll see how long it lasts. Has anyone else heard of replacing both when one goes out? Thanks

Yep, replace in pairs.

Of course, I havent actually spent that money in awhile to actually DO so...

What sometimes happens is one ends up looking clear and new, and one ends up looking old and yellowed. Seen this on Toyota Camry and mercury Sable. Doesnt look right.

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs

What sometimes happens is one ends up looking clear and new, and one ends up looking old and yellowed. Seen this on Toyota Camry and mercury Sable. Doesnt look right.

Are you talking about replacing bulbs or headlight assemblies?

I would replace the bad bulb and keep the other new one in the glovebox.

Originally Posted By: Christopher Hussey
Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs

Are you talking about replacing bulbs or headlight assemblies?

I would replace the bad bulb and keep the other new one in the glovebox.

Can you not take some bulbs out of some sealed headlight beam assemblies a la Sable or am I misinformed or misremembering?

I would have gotten some brighter bulbs like Silverstar Ultra or GE Nighthawk Platinum or Wagner Britelite, I think the latter has a rebate on rockauto right now. Anyway as others have said, lights tend to dim as they age so one bulb is going to be a bit dimmer than the other.

The OE bulbs lasted 15 years and I replaced them when the reflectors started flaking off. They're the old sealed beam type. The bulb that didn't burn out looks good as far as the reflector goes. We'll see how long it lasts. Thanks

I usually replace both, then keep the still good old one around as spare (in the garage). Then when the "new" one wears out, I'll have an old one to replace just one and squeeze a bit more life out of the old mismatch pair.

That is EXACTLY what I do too. If one is fairly old and just burnt out, I bet the other one isn't too far behind. I'd change both especially if you have a car that the front bumper needs to be removed to get the headlight out.
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
I usually replace both, then keep the still good old one around as spare (in the garage). Then when the "new" one wears out, I'll have an old one to replace just one and squeeze a bit more life out of the old mismatch pair.

I had two blow the same night... must have been an inductive kick when the first blew that took the second. Was a cold night, extra voltage.

That said, I wanted to get out of phase with my wear. Got one new bulb and one for a dollar from a junkyard. Plan worked.

Off topic, when you're forced to drive with high beams on, you only get 10-15% flashing from oncoming traffic.

I have gotten in the habit of replacing both at once because the times that I haven't, I have found myself replacing the other the next week.

I only change the ones that burn out.

I mean, driving down the road if one is minutely brighter than the other, I don't think it really matters.

Changing in pairs is wasteful. One lightbulb could last for 5 years or more, so it is a waste of resources.

Don't forget to put silicone grease in the socket when plugging in the new bulb, keeps corrosion out.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I stopped by Wal-Mart and picked up a Sylvania halogen bulb. $8.88 and installed it this morning.

Same here. The price went up a lot. Last time I replaced them, you could buy 2 GE halogens for $11 at Walmart. Thinking that the old good one is on it's last leg, I went on ebay, and bought 2 new ones shipped from USA for $3.50.

I prefer to replace them in pairs.

It's not unusual for both to go out around the same time. Two bulbs that came down the assembly line at about the same time, made to the same quality standards, installed in the same car, subject to the same vibrations, the same temperature changes, the same amount of time in use, and the same voltage variances are likely to go out about the same time.

I always replace both bulbs because I always doubt there is much life is left in the other bulb. Also, the newer one tends to shine brighter than the other one, and that makes the car look ugly.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I replace just the bulb that burns out. I don't see a need to replace both.

Agreed...

When replacing both you might as well toss the good used one, as the filament will be brittle and likely break before you'll ever need it... Assuming you're not gonna sell the car within the next year, I'd buy two and have a new one as a spare...

I actually have four spares, since both cars and my truck use same bulbs, I bought a package deal on ebay...

If its not broke, dont fix it. When one light burns out in your house do you replace them all?

I've done as what many have already said: change in paid, keep usable bulbs as back-up. If I'm ever driving at night and a bulb goes out, I can quickly swap one out in a pinch and still have light on the road.

Originally Posted By: Bamaro
If its not broke, dont fix it. When one light burns out in your house do you replace them all?

If there were only 2. Then yeah, I would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back