1993 Chevrolet Blazer running thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Never seen spray fix an EGR valve. If you actually have an EGR valve problem, then I would simply replace, and make certain you use a new gasket.

+1 and hate to do the labor twice (the last one I had trouble with was the Caravan in my sig, what a pain). I don't just throw money at parts but this is one I just simply replace

I have to begrudgingly concede having fixed several GM/Saturn electric EGR valves by cleaning their carbon out... I use brake cleaner but any solvent ought to work.

When the valve is off, start the car up. If the intake port is clean it will idle high from the vacuum leak. If the exhaust is, it'll be loud.
01.gif

02 SENSOR CHANGED!! I HAVE THE OLD ONE!!!
It runs better in first 5 minutes of operation...

OK. Firstly, they charged $80 to change it.

Secondly, I tried really hard, and couldnt get it off. Then they tried.

They took a saw-zall and cut the old sensor.

THEN, they used the socket, and used two wrenches as breaker bar and FINALLY got it off - with special socket.

Then the connector was pu tin.

Took 10 minutes.

THEN, they come out with a Snap-On Modis computer, "clear the codes" with its special connector, etc, and I am on my way.

Now, time to maybe get some gas (?? it needs it soon) and SEE IF I CAN DRIVE AND NOT HAVE A CODE COME ON.

Now I am low on money again..........

And yes, I have pics of the old one, but I need to wait for my phone. I tried to pick it up today.. it is not ready yet.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Originally Posted By: eljefino
So, back to you. The Blazer needs timing, that's in the dark blue section. You seem to know this so it's also in the pink section. We haven't vindicated it yet via pro with timing light so we can't say it's orange.

Great post and I liked the story with the Sunfire. Any estimates on what it would cost roughly to time the Blazer??? Not only are your posts full of info but I like the humor in them as well. Good mix!
01.gif

Let's see what Borinquen has to say about the timing check!!!

And now I nervously drive, hoping my SES light does not come back on...
27.gif

Back later. Going to Linden! And on HIGHWAY TRIP to SEE IF IT WILL COME BACK ON, to SEE IF 02 FIXED THE PROBLEM...

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
They took a saw-zall and cut the old sensor.

Glad you had it replaced.

What's up with the NJ shops that you go to and their zeal to use a Sawzall, yes cut the connector but then just use a deep socket. I use my Sawzall for occasional exhaust removal (old ratty system that i just want to get off quickly or rusty bolts on spring shackles, shocks, etc).

Seems to be the go to tool in your area.

And $80 for 10 minutes
sick.gif

Ok so now were getting somewhere! O2 fixed, hopefully no ses. I'd take it on a good highway drive. The stretch of 21 from Newark to Patterson would be a good option.

But timing - find someone!!

And once it is timed, be very careful with the temptation to buy or do anything else. Once timed and you've driven a few days to know all is ok, then let's list the perceived needs and work out a way ahead. It may take weeks/months.

Let's put it on a written budget with ALL income/outgo listed, and figure your plan systematically.

Moving ahead!!

And now I nervously drive, hoping my SES light does not come back on...
27.gif

Back later. Going to Linden! And on HIGHWAY TRIP to SEE IF IT WILL COME BACK ON, to SEE IF 02 FIXED THE PROBLEM...

You know you still have to get the timing fixed, right?

Right?

06.gif

And yes, I have pics of the old one, but I need to wait for my phone. I tried to pick it up today.. it is not ready yet.

I am going to regret asking this, but what did you do to your phone?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Ok so now were getting somewhere! O2 fixed, hopefully no ses. I'd take it on a good highway drive. The stretch of 21 from Newark to Patterson would be a good option.

And once it is timed, be very careful with the temptation to buy or do anything else. Once timed and you've driven a few days to know all is ok, then let's list the perceived needs and work out a way ahead. It may take weeks/months.

Let's put it on a written budget with ALL income/outgo listed, and figure your plan systematically.

Moving ahead!!

Yes!!!

Doesn't he have a timing cover and trans leak though?

Trans leak is simple, assuming it is the pan gasket. Timing cover leak Im not as sure about.

But the main goal is to get this thing stable so that he has mobility and isnt burning excessive gas. Then we can make the call as to his earnings and savings rate, and what he right direction is for him to invest in this vs. saving for the next vehicle.

I know some people absolutely HATE that I dare comment on these things, but oh well. Seems that if not for some medical/psychiatric issues, TLG has a good brain on his shoulders and is a pretty smart guy. He may go here or there on a whim sometimes, but I think he means well in the end. Many on here appear to hate him, but I think that with some guidance from us on here that mean well for him, he will dig out and become self sufficient in time.

Im hoping for the best for him.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Quick, hit the "notify" button before he sees it. Ask for it to be deleted along with this post.
laugh.gif

I know some people absolutely HATE that I dare comment on these things, but oh well. Seems that if not for some medical/psychiatric issues, TLG has a good brain on his shoulders and is a pretty smart guy. He may go here or there on a whim sometimes, but I think he means well in the end. Many on here appear to hate him, but I think that with some guidance from us on here that mean well for him, he will dig out and become self sufficient in time.

Well, he seems receptive to your advice, so that's a good thing. Many people don't want to hear other opposing opinions. I wouldn't be too concerned about the Monday morning quarterbacks on here. He needs someone to look up to.
thumbsup2.gif

Moving ahead!!

w00000000000000000000000000t!
laugh.gif

THE 02 SENSOR MAKES THE CAR NICE AND STRONG NOW WITH NO SES!!!
I DROVE IT FOR TWO HOURS UP AND DOWN 1&9 AND IT DIDNT COME ON!!!!
IDLES BETTER TOO!!!!!

25.gif

And I went to "Borinquen." They don't time cars.
smirk.gif

I got in 3 minutes ago
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: yonyon
It's idling entirely too rich. It gets a bit better at higher revs, so there could still be another problem but cat is probably all loaded up. I think you've already observed that the engine warms up? I would like to see that the computer is seeing that but without a scan tool that's a little tricky.

The O2 should be at least 0.8 unless HC is below 120. I recommend you replace the oxygen sensor and see if that makes the exhaust stink less.

On page 5.

Wow, only 61 pages later and it finally gets done
smirk.gif

I hit a wall using the wizardry and Odin and all, and I could NOT get ANY unlock codes, so I had to take it to the store that has the full CDMA Workshop program. They are going to give it to me, on Boost Mobile as they said that is the only one they can change a Sprint phone to, with a new number, sometime when I pay them.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
It's idling entirely too rich. It gets a bit better at higher revs, so there could still be another problem but cat is probably all loaded up. I think you've already observed that the engine warms up? I would like to see that the computer is seeing that but without a scan tool that's a little tricky.

The O2 should be at least 0.8 unless HC is below 120. I recommend you replace the oxygen sensor and see if that makes the exhaust stink less.

On page 5.

Wow, only 61 pages later and it finally gets done
smirk.gif

Only 80 pages later did I bite the bullet to "pay the man" and the new 02 sensor has had a vastly positive result. Has not come on once since it was installed!

Moving ahead!!

w00000000000000000000000000t!
laugh.gif

THE 02 SENSOR MAKES THE CAR NICE AND STRONG NOW WITH NO SES!!!
I DROVE IT FOR TWO HOURS UP AND DOWN 1&9 AND IT DIDNT COME ON!!!!
IDLES BETTER TOO!!!!!

25.gif

And I went to "Borinquen." They don't time cars.
smirk.gif

I got in 3 minutes ago
smile.gif

I really wanted to stop commenting on this thread but I can't.

I reco'd a shop twice for you - it's 15min from your work. Call them. For $80, they would have done the o2 AND timing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back