Oil Filter Gasket Leaking After 250 mi trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently drove from Little Rock to Tulsa and noticed a small puddle of oil under our 2006 Tahoe with the 4.8L. Filter is a Napa Gold 1042 (Wix). I had actually just driven this truck from Tulsa to Austin and back to Little Rock within 3-4 days before this trip, so it has had a lot of highway driving this past week.

I noticed the puddle when I made it home from work on Monday. I called back to work from home and had a coworker check where I parked, and there was no oil. So obviously, it leaked after I made it back from the 4 hr drive on Sunday.

Does highway driving cause more stress on an oil filter gasket? Could it be leaking from somewhere else? I noticed a drip on the bottom of the filter which made me think filter.

Thanks...

I've had that happen with the 2003 Malibu I maintain. I'd tighten down the oil filter as tight as I always do, and a few weeks later it would start to drip/leak. Probably due to hot/cold cycles? I'd have to go under the car and tighten it again (much tighter) and it would stop leaking. This has happened more than once with that car, but none of the other cars I've ever worked on. Perhaps it just needs to be re-tightened further...

On the 4.8 the filter is hard to tighten properly by hand, it is in a corner that doesn't let you grip it well.

Using a band type filter wrench shimmed with cardboard to protect the filter or an end cap style filter socket, tighten the filter about a quarter turn.

I am just paranoid that I will damage the filter by using any sort of tool to tighten. It doesn't seem to be losing any significant amount of oil on the dipstick.

Yes, it's definitely very hard to tighten the filter on properly on this particular 4.8 engine. It's a knuckle-buster for sure.

Ive found all flat gasket filter may leak from time to time - one of mine leaked and it was overtightened which distorts the gasket. I would rack it up to synthetic base stocks, higher pressure/flow ( for the lower vis oils) and small filters.

Make sure its not a PS or trans leak - you sure its not just AC evaporator drainage?

Originally Posted By: Clarence_Iba
I am just paranoid that I will damage the filter by using any sort of tool to tighten. It doesn't seem to be losing any significant amount of oil on the dipstick.

Yes, it's definitely very hard to tighten the filter on properly on this particular 4.8 engine. It's a knuckle-buster for sure.

How much was this filter tightened during installation after the gasket first made contact with the seat? I'm assuming you did the oil change, or was it a lube shop? 3/4 turn or more? It may just be not tight enough.

On a filter with limited access like that one, you need top use and end cap tool to get it tightened properly.

A lot of import OEM filters come with specific instructions to turn until contact and then "tighten with tool" to maybe 3/4 to a full turn. Some come with specific torque recommendations, and there's no practical means to check for torque except by using a torque wrench with a cap-style fitting. Wix has an installation video that shows several tricks. They do state that if you have difficulty reaching the filter with sufficient grip, you can use a tool, but to be careful not to damage the filter in the process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFaLMe7vMV4

Apparently one of the tricks they recommend is to draw a line on the filter to judge how much it's been turned. The ones I bought have a black mark on the side, but that might be hard to see. Other filters I've seen have numbers from 1 to 8.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Apparently one of the tricks they recommend is to draw a line on the filter to judge how much it's been turned. The ones I bought have a black mark on the side, but that might be hard to see. Other filters I've seen have numbers from 1 to 8.

I usually mark the filter with a Sharpie or a piece of tape and use that mark to judge when 3/4 turn has occurred. Works well ... not rocket science.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: y_p_w

I usually mark the filter with a Sharpie or a piece of tape and use that mark to judge when 3/4 turn has occurred. Works well ... not rocket science.

I have pretty good visibility on my 2004 WRX. However, I've started writing down the date and mileage, and that's a good reference. I just hand tighten though. If it's more than a full turn it's not a big deal.

Use A Denso oil filter and you won't have to worry. The Denso filter has a stop built into the base of the filter that prevents overtightening. Denso also uses an o-ring design for the filter gasket. Tightened to the stop, the o-ring is deformed to design which is how an o-ring seals--controlled deformation. Regards

To the OP, simply replace the oil filter. The oil filter might have a faulty gasket. It does happen from time to time. You may also have a double gasket.

When you replace the oil filter make sure there is no residue of the old filter gasket on the gasket surface. Also make sure you lube the gasket with clean oil before installing.

AC Delco makes a non E-core filter for your Tahoe (PF46).

Oil filters don't need to be super tight. I simply tighten by hand and then put another 1/2 turn with the filter wrench.

I have switched from Conventional to QSUD the last two changes...which might not be helping this issue. I have over 101k on the truck. No issues otherwise.

I'll check things out on my next oil change.

I have switched from Conventional to QSUD the last two changes...which might not be helping this issue. I have over 101k on the truck. No issues otherwise.

I'll check things out on my next oil change.

Your choice of oil will have no bearing on a filter gasket leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back