Is Rust Check Really Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Would like to protect my cruze for winter, is rust check a good solution or is it too soon for that?

Will it really protect it from rust?

It'll provide a barrier that will keep out the electrolytes (salt solution) away from the metal. Without an electrolyte solution, there can be no corrosion.

The coating will not last forever, so it needs to be reapplied every so often.

The maritime provinces on Canada are the worst climate in North America for corrosion. Plenty of salt is dumped on the roads, and the temperature is always hovering around the 32°F mark. This is where the auto companies do their field testing for corrosion.

I know Rust Check has been mentioned but have no experience with it. I would suggest Krown in Canada or CarWell in the USA. Its what I have on both of my vehicles.

Your car is going on 3 years old so yes you should get it done and do it when it has been dry for a few days . Always best to have this done in the spring so since your car is dry (never been oiled) I would recommend to do it ASAP and again in late spring/early summer so the oil creeps from the warmth .

If you plan on keeping it for a long time it's a wise move so you don't have to deal with rust but also when the time comes to move on you'll likely get more for it because it has been oiled (I always look for this if buying used ) and because the body will be in better condition which you can point out and use when selling to potential buyers . Getting that bit more $$ when selling off sets your costs of doing the rustproofing so it's a win-win !

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
I know Rust Check has been mentioned but have no experience with it. I would suggest Krown in Canada or CarWell in the USA. Its what I have on both of my vehicles.

It appears that Carwell is only available at 2 retail locations in the state of New York, unless you want to buy the product and equipment to apply it yourself.

Another company of interest is CorrosionFree.

I consider rust proofing to almost be like buying an extended warranty. It may or may not pan out depending on your personal situation and all the variables (someone else can beat this dead horse if they choose).

The naysayers will give their opinion here also. There is no definitive right or wrong answer. Do what YOU want and live with it.

I wonder why there are not more places that do CarWell. I have been to the place on Dolgerville for 2 years. My only annoyance is the time it takes to drive there and back. About 2 hours each way. I get a car wash in Albany and am there at 10:00AM and it takes 1 hour and then drive back home. Times 2 vehicles.

They cannot do it in the winter as its too cold and would take hours for the car to thaw in their bay. They close sometime in Nov and open April 1.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Absolutely. Id use Krown if there is one by you up there...

Krown for sure.

Is there any places in pa that spray under body protectants? I went through and applied the rattle can dupli color undercoat last fall and it was all about off after 1 winter.

Originally Posted By: dixon700
Is there any places in pa that spray under body protectants? I went through and applied the rattle can dupli color undercoat last fall and it was all about off after 1 winter.

all the sites like krown, rustcheck, and corrosionfree have locators for places that apply theor product.

Can't go wrong with Krown T40 and Rust-Check's cherry scented oil film and Coat-n-protect. I've used them in aerosol cans, both seem fantastic. The Rust-Check Coating is a little tackier and builds thicker. I have a head-less iron engine block coated with the Rust Check sitting deck-down on a pallet outside for a few years (just covered over). The coating is still strong, and I can just wash that engine off and put it back in service tomorrow if needed. Good stuff
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back