Puralator or pur 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys. I know Bob's test showed how high filteration can lower flow. So let me ask you this. Would a person using the Puralator be better off using the Puralator premium versus the Pure 1. It still showes 96% ?? i believe. and would flow much better. Any comments?

quote:

Originally posted by Oilmeup:
Hey Guys. I know Bob's test showed how high filteration can lower flow. So let me ask you this. Would a person using the Puralator be better off using the Puralator premium versus the Pure 1. It still showes 96% ?? i believe. and would flow much better. Any comments?

The 96% multiple pass test seems pretty good..if they are honest...gotta believe somebody,sometime I guess..I use the Premium Plus brand and find it a good value for me.

I used to think the Premium Plus were good filters for the money, until they went the way of Fram and started using cardboard endcaps. I know how the argument goes, perhaps cardboard is more than good enough, however when there are so many other filters out there that use metal endcaps and cost the same or less than Fram and Purolator, so it's better to err on the safe side. I've heard too many horror stories of cardboard endcaps coming apart and leaking unfiltered oil through the engine.

I was concerned about this too when I had purchased some Premium Plus filters for my cars. So I emailed Purolator, and they were able to tell me that my particular filters didn't use cardboard end caps. So, it may be worth while to email purolator about your particular filter to find out what material the end caps are made from.

Lets be a little careful about blanket statements. Test results showing higher pressures do not necessarily mean lower flow. They very well may mean that a little more of the engine horsepower is used to push the oil through the filter. In my case I think thats ok, and I continue to use Pure 1 filters.

quote:

Originally posted by dickwells:
Lets be a little careful about blanket statements. Test results showing higher pressures do not necessarily mean lower flow. They very well may mean that a little more of the engine horsepower is used to push the oil through the filter. In my case I think thats ok, and I continue to use Pure 1 filters.

What tests???
Oil pumps are truly positive displacement, but where is the pressure regulator at?
Too much resistance means early opening of the regulator which means.......possibly less oil flow at higher rpms!

My vote is on the premium or other non-boutique filter and their clones(STP/ST/Wix/Napa/Fram).

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I used to think the Premium Plus were good filters for the money, until they went the way of Fram and started using cardboard endcaps. I know how the argument goes, perhaps cardboard is more than good enough, however when there are so many other filters out there that use metal endcaps and cost the same or less than Fram and Purolator, so it's better to err on the safe side. I've heard too many horror stories of cardboard endcaps coming apart and leaking unfiltered oil through the engine.

Some applications have the cardboard end-caps (Honda may-be,have one will cut it open after my customer uses it) but every P30001 I cut open had metal....and I'll keepa cuttin' till I find cardboard...
grin.gif

"what tests" The ones referred to in the title post on this thread.

The point about the relief valve is well taken, but in order for it to come into play if it is on the filter, the drop across the filter has to open it. If it is in the pump I think it is set quite a bit higher.

Speaking just from my own experience, the Purolator Premium Plus seemed to work better on my car than the Purolator Pure One. The engine would seem to run better. I don't know if the Pure One caused too much oil restriction or what. I just know what my experence was. I personally don't like the idea of cardboard endcaps. If I go to extended oil changes, I will probably use the K&N oil filter. If I continue with 3000 mile oil changes, I am not sure what oil filter would be best. I have been using the Wix. Maybe a Purolator Premium Plus would be good enough with 3000 mile oil changes. But I still don't like the idea of cardboard endcaps.

----I used to think the Premium Plus were good filters for the money, until they went the way of Fram and started using cardboard endcaps--------

Just FYI, not all Purolator Premium Plus filters have the cardboard endcaps. I asked Purolator for a list, but they didn't reply.

However, I know for sure the filter that fits a Toyota/Lexus V6 has metal endcaps.

hehe they will reply. it takes at least a couple of days. they answerd all of my questions quick.

quote:

Originally posted by Curtis Newton:
----I used to think the Premium Plus were good filters for the money, until they went the way of Fram and started using cardboard endcaps--------

Just FYI, not all Purolator Premium Plus filters have the cardboard endcaps. I asked Purolator for a list, but they didn't reply.

However, I know for sure the filter that fits a Toyota/Lexus V6 has metal endcaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back