Winter Tires - Michelin LTX MS2 or Cooper AT3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I am looking for advice on a tire purchase. I have a 2007 Nissan Armada and am currently running Michelin LTX MS2s on my summer wheels (20") and am looking to buy a new set of tires for my winter wheels(18").

So far the MS2s have been great although I have never run them in the snow.

I am debating on getting the MS2s for the winter wheels or Cooper Discoverer AT3s.

I really want an aggressive looking tire, but I do not want to sacrifice comfort, mileage, or noise. The AT3s seem to be good in those areas but it is hard to tell from the reviews I have read. Snow performance is important as is the ability to handle potholes (the latter of which will likely be more prevalent as the roads are usually clean by the next day in NY where I am located).

Can anyone offer the pros / cons of these two tires for winter driving?

The MS2s have more siping which apparently is good for wet snow, however the AT3s have larger lugs which is good for evacuation.

What to do?

Last edited:
BFG A/T KO hold a snow tire rating, like the true snow symbol allowing them to be used in places mandating snow/winter tires. That's what I'd run.

I'm in the same boat. I'd love to justify the purchase of A/T tires, it'd be nice to have some aggressive looking tires for the look; and "just in case" I ever take my pavement queen off road. In the end though dedicated winters on a set of steelies is the way to go in our northern climes, if you ask me.

In one of the other threads General Artic Altimax (?) was recommended, perhaps Blizzaks, certainly any of the Nokian offerings.

I agree that they are not winter tires, however 90% of my winter driving will not be in snow if history is any indicator.

I am not willing to sacrifice dry handling for the one or two times it snows.

The roads get severe potholes which is why I want a "tougher" tire.

That said, anyone have experience with these two?

On the Titan boards many people were saying to get Goodyear duratracs which do have the snowflake,but reviews have states these are loud.

Originally Posted By: supton
I'm in the same boat. I'd love to justify the purchase of A/T tires, it'd be nice to have some aggressive looking tires for the look; and "just in case" I ever take my pavement queen off road. In the end though dedicated winters on a set of steelies is the way to go in our northern climes, if you ask me.

In one of the other threads General Artic Altimax (?) was recommended, perhaps Blizzaks, certainly any of the Nokian offerings.

Steel wheels *shudder*. Lol.

You described my exact dilemma.

So "winter" tires and wheels are more to keep the alloy wheels good?

Seems a bit too over function for me ... What's the point in buying a separate set of winter wheels and tires if they are the same darn tire.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spta97
I agree that they are not winter tires, however 90% of my winter driving will not be in snow if history is any indicator.

I am not willing to sacrifice dry handling for the one or two times it snows.

The roads get severe potholes which is why I want a "tougher" tire.

That said, anyone have experience with these two?

On the Titan boards many people were saying to get Goodyear duratracs which do have the snowflake,but reviews have states these are loud.

Snow tires also work better on cold pavement.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
So "winter" tires and wheels are more to keep the alloy wheels good?

Seems a bit too over function for me ... What's the point in buying a separate set of winter wheels and tires if they are the same darn tire.

The summer wheels are chrome and I found that road salt eats chrome for breakfast so I will use the oem alloy wheels.

I agree that having the same tire is silly, however I don't want to get a tire that won't wok well for 90% of my winter driving.

The LTX M+S2's will be good in the snow. Another option that will be cheaper and just as good(IMO)are the Firestone Destination LE2's.

Do they make winter performance tires in your size?
If I understand the AT flavour of truck tires with snow flake - yes the do get it but it is more by coincidence than by design.
The snowflake is awarded to tire that provides 110% of traction (I suspect acceleration or braking but not turning) of reference tire on the snow but not necesserily on ice. Has anything changed with AT tire design to accomodate ice traction too?

If you need winter traction (dry, wet and especially ice) you may want real winter tires.

Krzys

Last edited:
The tires you have on now will be fine for snow as long as they have good tread depth.

If you really want something that will bite more go with something like a BF Goodrich all terrain t/a ko. If deep snow is really an issue get chains as well.

Honestly I'd just run the 20's what are you saving them for? They are not a rare or expensive wheel. If you live in an area that gets super deep snow that may overwhelm the MS/2's get a set of chains.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
The LTX M+S2's will be good in the snow. Another option that will be cheaper and just as good(IMO)are the Firestone Destination LE2's.

I had destination. ATs on and almost crashed over painted lines in the rain and wheel spin at every light in the rain over painted lines.

I'm not willing to try Firestone again.

Originally Posted By: krzyss
If I understand the AT flavour of truck tires with snow flake - yes the do get it but it is more by coincidence than by design.
The snowflake is awarded to tire that provides 110% of traction (I suspect acceleration or braking but not turning) of reference tire on the snow but not necesserily on ice. Has anything changed with AT tire design to accomodate ice traction too?

If you need winter traction (dry, wet and especially ice) you may want real winter tires.

Krzys

I'm not convinced that the snowflake translates into better performance, rather they paid for the testing.

Not sure about winter performance tires? Any brands I can check?

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
The tires you have on now will be fine for snow as long as they have good tread depth.

If you really want something that will bite more go with something like a BF Goodrich all terrain t/a ko. If deep snow is really an issue get chains as well.

Honestly I'd just run the 20's what are you saving them for? They are not a rare or expensive wheel. If you live in an area that gets super deep snow that may overwhelm the MS/2's get a set of chains.

It's not the price of the rims, I just want to keep them in good condition. I won't replace them if I get a scratch or pitting but it will bother me every day.

BFGs are older technology and LOUD from what I have read. If I was going for that aggressive I would get the Duratracs as people with the Titan (pickup version of my truck) swear by them. Too loud for me though.

Sounds like you want the LTX MS2 but in 18" size. Per your words, the roads are clear the day after, and most of your driving is done on dry roads. A fresh set with full tread is going to do better than your worn tires. Not as good as snows, but if it's a tire tread that does the job...

What about waiting until after the first snow or two, and then making a decision? As in, if the current tires do ok in the slush, perhaps just get another set for the winter rims at that time? Or, if they just aren't aggressive enough, then bring this topic back up?

Originally Posted By: spta97
Originally Posted By: krzyss

Krzys

I'm not convinced that the snowflake translates into better performance, rather they paid for the testing.

Not sure about winter performance tires? Any brands I can check?

I am not familiar with truck winter tires but you may find something from Dunlop WinterSport 3D and 4D, Bridgestone Blizzak LM series, Pirelli Scorpion Winter, Michelin Latitude Alpin.

Krzys

Tough size to fit. Tirerack.com lists the 18" wheel taking a 265/70-18. The only winter tire they list in that size is the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1. Great snow tire, but not high performance on pavement. Alternate sizes shown are 245/75-17 and 285/70-17, and not a lot of choices for those in winter tires, especially high performance rubber.

Try going to tirerack.com, look up your size, look Survey Results for On-Off Road All Terrain, SUV All-Season, and light truck All-Season, filter by Winter, and see which looks best to you. This is only the brands Tirerack carries, which does not include Cooper.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=CSTAS&sortValue=16&filter=y&width=265%2F&ratio=70&diameter=18&showwp=N&showdp=N&showws=Y&showcm=N
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HAS&filter=y&ratio=70&width=265%2F&diameter=18&showwp=N&showdp=N&showws=Y&showcm=N&sortValue=16
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT&sortValue=16&filter=y&width=265%2F&ratio=70&diameter=18&showwp=N&showdp=N&showws=Y&showcm=N

From my experience, generally speaking, an AT tire will offer more substantial "bite"/traction in most snow conditions than a comparable all-season. Between Michelin's AT2 and MS2, I had more available traction in all kinds of snow with the former than the latter. If you are worried about steering/traction/braking on ice you want true winter tires.

Cooper believes their Discoverer AT3 has slightly better winter traction than their Discoverer HT3. LINK (Click on Tire Comparison Attribute Rating).

If you want an AT tire w/ the Mountain Snowflake symbol on sidewall, check out Nokian's Rotiiva AT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back