Mercedes Diesel Oil Change Nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changed oil/filter in wifes E350 Bluetec. Started it up and it blew out 2 QTs. of oil in the engine compartment due to a bad O-ring in the filter housing. This was Mobil 1 Formula M 229.51 specified for this motor. Added 2 Qts. Pennzoil Ultra because it was all I had in stock. My stash is at the lakehouse. Smartmove.. Do I need to change it out ASAP? Is regular Ultra diesel approved. What a miserable filthy day....

I don't have any direct experience with cartridge filters, however, aren't you supposed to change the filter element and the o-rings as well during an oil change.

Maybe someone skimped out on changing the o-rings.

But no, I doubt you need to change the oil out ASAP but I would not take my sweet old time with it either.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Is that like 2 quarts out of 9? I'd leave it in.

+1 I cant think of any reason to change the oil. It was blowing it out not sucking anything in. Go for it and lesson learned.

Probably more like 2 1/2 out of 8.5 qts. The Ultra is 10W30. Less than 9K since last oil change. Benz recommends 10K oci. I am hoping that you diesel scholars will say it is OK for at least 5k....

I did replace the cartridge filter and O Rings with A Wix unit. Turns out their O Ring was slightly large. Put the old one back in and no leak (OIL FLOOD). Question is -Is PZ ULTRA diesel approved for diesel brands other than Mercedes?

Last edited:
Everything went wrong with this oil change. After much research I decided to use an expensive Hengst fleece filter and when preparing to install it I realized I had been sent the wrong one,so it was off to the local parts store to get anything that would fit.

Originally Posted By: hal2626
Just changed oil/filter in wifes E350 Bluetec. Started it up and it blew out 2 QTs. of oil in the engine compartment due to a bad O-ring in the filter housing. This was Mobil 1 Formula M 229.51 specified for this motor. Added 2 Qts. Pennzoil Ultra because it was all I had in stock. My stash is at the lakehouse. Smartmove.. Do I need to change it out ASAP? Is regular Ultra diesel approved. What a miserable filthy day....

You would be fine.
2qt in 9 is not big deal

I run a large fleet of Sprinters with the MB 3.0L diesel. I spec only OEM filters and M1 5W-40 229.51 spec oil. In saying that I know of a larger Sprinter fleet that has been rnning 15W-40 HDEO and they are starting to have issues. I have not had any.
In speaking with MB, their 2013 3.0 diesel is capable of 16,000 mile OCI and though they won't put it in writing, the older 3.0 Liters with M1 oil should be capable of same OCI.
Back to your problem. You will be fine with the 2.5 quarts of PU until next OC.

When I start an engine after an oil change I wait in the vehicle for the oil pressure gauge to go to normal, then look at the engine area and under the engine.

How long did it take for you to notice?

Last edited:
I do too. I had the lil' woman start it up while I checked for leaks. 'Twas POURING out. Here is what really made me mad...I carefully reinstalled the filter and partially cleaned up the horrible mess. Had the wife crank it up again and,surprise! Huge oil spray from the filter housing. $#%@!*(^&!!

Question is -Is PZ ULTRA diesel approved for diesel brands other than Mercedes?

No. Most modern day diesel engines with DPF require low SAPs oil (ACEA C3). Unless you used the Ultra Euro L 5w-30, all the other Ultra grades are not low SAPs.

But again, in such small amount and only for one OCI, I would not sweat it.

I do too. I had the lil' woman start it up while I checked for leaks. 'Twas POURING out. Here is what really made me mad...I carefully reinstalled the filter and partially cleaned up the horrible mess. Had the wife crank it up again and,surprise! Huge oil spray from the filter housing. $#%@!*(^&!!

You DO NOT use wix filters and the caps on these engines!!!! These are patented and wix has to design them slightly different to make it so there aren't any copywrite problems. Same thing happens to the 6.0 powerstroke, people use the wix filter and cap and the oring can blow out. Plus the cap is taller so it doesn't seal as tight allowing for dry starts. Use the OEM cap and filter element. Don't be cheap on an expensive engine.

That happened to my buddy when he cracked the plastic lid on the M113 in his G500, he said he lost a few quarts. What got him was he just slammed the hood shut and drove to his buddies house half a mile away. Parked it and saw the oil trail...

Well at least its a mistake you only make once!

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

You DO NOT use wix filters and the caps on these engines!!!! These are patented and wix has to design them slightly different to make it so there aren't any copywrite problems. Same thing happens to the 6.0 powerstroke, people use the wix filter and cap and the oring can blow out. Plus the cap is taller so it doesn't seal as tight allowing for dry starts. Use the OEM cap and filter element. Don't be cheap on an expensive engine.

Then why does wix even chance ruining their good name with a garbage part?

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Hmmm...so I guess 5k is OK?

yeah you will be fine.

^^^^^^^^^^ I agree.

Just use MB Fleece filters from now on, it is probably night and day compared to those paper media filters you find on the shelf of Autozone.

I think you can find them on Amazon. OEM is probably MANN.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back