Rear cable hanger discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Building a road type bike right now with canti brakes front and rear and found some pretty cool cable hangers/stops from Origin-8: Front and Rear. I really liked the concept so I picked them up. So far the front one seems to work great, although the bike isn't finished yet and time will have to be the judge. But the little lip on the bottom to catch the straddle cable if it slips is a very nice touch.

Unfortunately, the cross brace between the seat stays where the rear hanger should mount with a through bolt already has a riv-nut from the factory. Does anybody think this would offer a study enough mounting option? Considering it seems like even water bottle riv-nuts loosen over time I would be highly skeptical of this, though I don't really want to drill it out (plus I'm not sure the inner part of the rivnut is small enough to remove from the frame). I am considering running a socket head M5x0.8 bolt all the way through and putting a washer and lock nut on the back end. It would still rely on the riv-nut for positioning as the through hole is much larger than 5mm but this should help keep everything nice and tight with at least failsafe function should the rivnut "let go."

Thoughts?

Well, as someone on his same rear brake pads for the last 5 years, that should tell you my thoughts on the importance of rear brakes... Your failsafe is the front brake! Rear brakes just don't do much on a road bike. That said, you're right not to trust the rivnut. If you drill it out and the hole is too big for the shoulder of a standard brake nut, just do all the way through and use a conventional bolt/nut set-up and hack off the "shoulder" of the brake nut and use that as a sleeve. If you use the rear brake at all, I'd get the rivnut out of there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back