Larger Filter for 97 Nissan Pathfinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey All! Been reading for some time. First post. I own a 97 Nissan Pathfinder. I use the Chevron 15w40 in summer and usually Amsoil 10w30 for winter. I also use Wix/Napa Gold/or Pure 1 filters. I have been searching for a larger filter for a long time. Everytime I go to the Napa dealer or anywhere else, they tell me their computer shows no larger version for that engine. It is a 3.3 L. The filter on this thing is so small, and I believe there is room underneath for a larger one. Any help you guys can give me as to using one of the above filters would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

PS. I never thought about running this Delo400 oil before, but my truck runs great on this stuff. And I like to change the oil to frequently to justify using synthetic all year long. Thanks again.
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Oilmeup:
Hey All! Been reading for some time. First post. I own a 97 Nissan Pathfinder. I use the Chevron 15w40 in summer and usually Amsoil 10w30 for winter. I also use Wix/Napa Gold/or Pure 1 filters. I have been searching for a larger filter for a long time. Everytime I go to the Napa dealer or anywhere else, they tell me their computer shows no larger version for that engine. It is a 3.3 L. The filter on this thing is so small, and I believe there is room underneath for a larger one. Any help you guys can give me as to using one of the above filters would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

PS. I never thought about running this Delo400 oil before, but my truck runs great on this stuff. And I like to change the oil to frequently to justify using synthetic all year long. Thanks again.
patriot.gif

Your Napa dealer was right...no larger filter has been fitted to this engine from the factory...although on the new 3.5L, a smaller filter has actually been ran! (3.5L uses same filter as 3.3L)

Here's the specs on your stock filter:

Height: 3.402
Outside Diameter Top: 2.685
Thread Size: 20x1.5MM
By-Pass Setting: 8-11PSI
ADBV: Yes

Gasket Dimensions:

O.D.: 2.475
I.D.: 2.173
Thk.: 0.233

Sorry, besides that, I can't help much.

One question though...your vehicle is speced for 5w-30 and 10w-30 right? If so, what have your experiences been running the Delo? Notice anything on startup? Have you tried Delvac 1300S 15w-40?

Justin.

[ April 24, 2003, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Justin ]

Try these if your car uses the puro L14610/14620 or wix 1356's.

Purolator: 14459/20073/24458/14619
Wix(5)/Napa: 1334/1344/1347/1626

Justin: I have noticed a small ammount of lifter noise when it was cold in the morning. Other then not no problems. I usually turn the motor over but not start it just to get things pumping. Then start it, this usually works to stop any noise on cold starts.

UnDummy I do use the 14620 in Pure 1. And 1356 in Wix filters.

Now, will any of the following that you wrote work? or do I have to try each one?

No Pathfinder in my driveway, but I have used these in other Nissans. Make a mental note on free area around the filter(extra length/diameter) and compare at your favorite oil filter store. Some engines have firewalls, frames, road, suspension, or oil senders that might be in the way. An extra 1/3" in diameter usually isn't an issue, but the 1"-2" increase in length might be.

My favorites are the 1347/20073 and the 1344/24458. Try these in this order for your next changes: 1334, 1344, 1347 or puro sized ones.

Avoid the 1626/14619(for gamblers only)because it is sometimes a leaker since the larger gasket misses the oil mount in some vehicles.

What is your source for the stock OEM filter above? I have read the stock Nissan filter uses about a 14psi bypass setting, not 8-11.
Also, good relacements for the small filter are the larger OEM Nissan used on 95-01 VQ30 engines or equivalent ones aftermarket like the STP 6941 and Bosch 3323. BTW, the new small OEM filter is not made as well as the larger one. The new OEM Nissan filter uses cardboard endcaps like Fram.

I don't care for what the stock bypass is as long as I don't exceed it when choosing a filter. Oil pressure is more important than filtration.

Bypass pressure is also dependent on media chosen and media surface area.

I personally didn't like the timing chain noises on VQ's and KA's that used the stp6941. The noise went away with a different filter. Bypass, IMO, is too high! I've noticed that some other VW/Porsche filters use bypasses up to 30psi. I wonder if this is because of the volume of oil flow or the size of the oil pump being used.
The thought of loosing 20psi at higher rpms, because of the filter choosen, is scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back