what power steering fluid? ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: howellt85
ok so I have ford 1985 f150, had a bolt break that holds the gear box to the frame (fun weird bolt anyway) , well anyway about emptied the ps pump turning the wheel to get the broken bolt shank off.

well what ATF fluid is recommended ? ( I don't want ps fluid in the pump)

I looked through some books and they are all different some say atf( owners manual )
most say Dexron II(where do I get that if so?) some say Dex/Mercon some say mercon iv v ect. half say type F atf . Are they compatible in the pump?

original pump and gear box I'm leaning towards type F or Dexron II

I was told you can put 10W30 Oil in them, and Trans FLUID

Originally Posted By: David1

I was told you can put 10W30 Oil in them, and Trans FLUID

Engine oil is too viscous for power steering systems, and since the additives are different, that may be another problem.

I put ATF in Ford power steering systems, and I have found that putting Dexron III, Mercon V, or even Chrysler ATF+4 works without a problem, even if the vehicle calls for type-F ATF.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Was Mercon V available in 1997 ?

yes the automatic transaxle uses it (owners manual says it,same with the ps pump)

My 1996 Contour spec's Type F ATF, which I keep using with success. My 2002 F150 spec's Mercon. I've used various brand Mercon fluids and Mobil 1 ATF. I use the Turkey baster change method. The Contour has always run great on Type F ATF. The F150 does like Mobil 1 ATF the best, especially in the winter where it whined on non synthetic ATF fluid.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back