Behr DeckOver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 18 yr-old deck is getting pretty weathered. I've been using Cabot semi-solid for the past several years. I'm pleased with it's performance. I have been getting 4-5 years between coats. As a last-ditch effort, I decided the try a coating in order to prolong replacement. Home Depot had $40 rebate for a 5 Gal ($158) bucket of Behr DeckOver, during Labor Day weekend. The Deck is 16x16. According to the guide, 5 gal should have not quite been enough for 2 coats. I initially pressure-washed with my own solution of bleach/dish soap/water. I let it dry for 4 days. I used a 3/8" nap roller, and knelt while during the first coat. It took about 2 hrs. The weather has to be perfect (70 and no rain in sight). It dries real fast in the sun, or if it's too hot. Due to weather, time, and shorter days, the 2nd coat wasn't applied until a week later. I used a broom handle, and stood for the 2nd coat -- 3/8" roller again. The second coat took an hour. I have about 2 gallons left-over, so I should have bought individual gallons. I'm very pleased with the results. We went with a lighter color (Cedar), because I read dark colors get very hot. Our deck is exposed to all KS extreme elements: heat, snow, ice, cold, no shade, dog, etc.

Time will tell how longs it lasts. Ask me in 5yrs+. It costs roughly $50 for the Cabot, so this better last 10 years.

The railings are painted Sherwin Williams Durations -- which matches our window color. They have been holding up well.

Before:

deck_before_2_zpsb9a2cf13.jpg

deck_before_3_zpsdb44e52b.jpg

deck_b4_1_zps38ec3736.jpg

After:

deckover4_zps3fb38e57.jpg

deckover2_zps95c3f1d9.jpg

deckover3_zps6c8a6f0a.jpg

deckover1_zps2353d655.jpg

(I don't like the ugly lattice, but it keeps our dog out from under our deck).

Looks good.

I painted my decks least year with a Sherwin Williams product called Tread Plex. It's 100% acrylic. Retail on the stuff is like $150/gallon....but I walked out of the store with 3 gallons for $230.

The stuff is amazing. Crazy durable/tough. It's like I powder coated my deck. Been through one winter already and 2 summers. She is holding up great to our tough Indiana seasonal changes.

I'm a big fan of SW. Their products are very good and can be had cheaper than most if you watch for the 30 and 40% off sales.

^ Yes. The top railing is actually painted in Sherwin Williams Resiliance quart, bought at 40% off. They matched it to the Behr sample card, and it's a perfect match. I always wait until 30, and sometimes 40% off. Otherwise, one can't afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back