Best Equivalent for Fram PH8A

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to use those Ford style filters on my SBC road race motors with remote filter mount, never had a problem with the Fram PH8A, Motorcraft or even the AC Delco. But then again, I have never personally witnessed an oil filter failure of any kind on any car.

I have a single screw 460 and I use a Baldwin B7311-MPG filter. If you have the room this is a very good filter. It's a little larger than the stock PH8A at 3 11/16" X 7 1/8" but it filters and flows very well.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

All of those are great, and the Fram is the best bang for the buck. Fram doesn't get top slot because of its plastic bypass valve poppet- not really a problem IMO, but just not the best possible design. Puro has a thin can- again not expected to be a problem, but noted.

The bypass valve in the Fram is not "plastic", it's high temperature nylon. I see nothing wrong with Fram's bypass valve design, and they do major life testing on the design.

Nylon is "plastic" though - specifically a thermoplastic.

Technically, yes in a very general sense ... but in the context it was used in, the commenter made it sound like the bypass valve is made from recycled plastic toys from 1975.

And even more technically ...

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Well they say it is "glass impregnated nylon" to be more specific.

The bypass valve is the last thing I'd worry about inside a Fram oil filter from what I've seen about it.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

All of those are great, and the Fram is the best bang for the buck. Fram doesn't get top slot because of its plastic bypass valve poppet- not really a problem IMO, but just not the best possible design. Puro has a thin can- again not expected to be a problem, but noted.

The bypass valve in the Fram is not "plastic", it's high temperature nylon. I see nothing wrong with Fram's bypass valve design, and they do major life testing on the design.

I think I said that ;-)

All else being equal, I'd pick the metal valve. But a) the plastic one should be just fine, and b) the Fram is a good bit cheaper than the RP and Amsoil options and has almost identical filtration performance.

All the ones I named are within a gnat's hiney of each other, only minor details are different. If you throw away price and go for every detail being several sigma overbuilt, then buy the RP or Amsoil. For any other consideration, buy the Puro Synth or Ultra.

I've got quite a few 51515's for my 5.0 Windsor and I cannot complain whatsoever. Napa gold. No evidence of the anti-drawback valve not being adequate since I don't get any extra acoustics at start up.
I been using the Bosch on my heli the past 2 changes and they seem alright too. The pure 1 is nice if you want to extend the interval otherwise I saw a used oil analysis with a puro classic with 7500 miles iirc and insols looked stellar,which tells me the filter was still doing its magic.
I don't think you can go wrong with most of today's filters. Some aren't all that great but the ones I mentioned are a safe bet.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I've got quite a few 51515's for my 5.0 Windsor and I cannot complain whatsoever. Napa gold. No evidence of the anti-drawback valve not being adequate since I don't get any extra acoustics at start up.

Isn't the Windsor a dome-end-down installation? Drainback isn't so much of a problem if it is. I've had my issues with WIX in horizontal installations (Mopar RB, Jeep 4.0).

To be fair, I haven't used a Wix in 4-5 years, nor did I repeat the test enough to confirm/deny a problem. Just happened twice, so I gravitated toward other filters.

Isn't the Windsor a dome-end-down installation? Drainback isn't so much of a problem if it is. I've had my issues with WIX in horizontal installations (Mopar RB, Jeep 4.0).

To be fair, I haven't used a Wix in 4-5 years, nor did I repeat the test enough to confirm/deny a problem. Just happened twice, so I gravitated toward other filters.

Nope, it is on an angle on the side of the block, the same angle as the block/head.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Nope, it is on an angle on the side of the block, the same angle as the block/head.

Yeah on the windsors they're at a angle downward..

2.3 4 cyl's are on they're side. Diagonal..

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Thanks Redhat.

what about the synthetic Fram....the ultra?

thats what I was going to say

Im sure Fram Ultra has one that will work with that model number

DonaldsonP169071-01.jpg

You can get these (or their Fleetguard sibling) from most heavy truck dealers. All synthetic glass media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back