cSt @ 212ºF 10.18 8.5-11.3

FLASHPOINT ºF 435 >365

FUEL %
ANTIFREEZE % 0.0 0.0

WATER % 0.0
INSOLUBLES 0.2
TBN 1.1 >1.0

TAN 4.7

Blackstone Comments: You wanted a TAN for this sample, and that test came back at 4.7. It's helpful to know what the
TAN is starting out, so you can see how acidic the oil has become. They don't all start at 0.0 (though it
seems like they should). The TBN read 1.1, which is on the low side but clearly that didn't hurt your engine
at all. In fact, we'd say you're maximizing your oil use. Wear metals look great considering you ran this oil
10,200 miles and averages are based on just 5,100 miles. No fuel or moisture was present, and the air and
oil filters are working well. Nice engine!

My thoughts:
- History: Bought the car with 19235 on May 12, 2012, former life was a rental according to information we found (carfax and left over paperwork in car) I've changed the oil with PU 5w30/Wix 57526 at, 20,100, 24,998 and 30,053.
- I currently have PU 5w30 and a PureOne filter in it.
- This interval was 329 hrs of use, engine had 1283 hrs on it at the time of change. Trivia tidbit, the first 20k of it's life (previous owner) and the last 20k of it's life (my ownership) have averaged the same MPH. I'm having a little too much fun with the hour meter.
- I'm honestly a little disappointed with the TBN result of this run. Mainly because of the sample I had done on my work car. I know that is a different engine and my work car has a little more ideal of a driving situation (lots of highway) but that was also a no name conventional oil. The van does not have what I would call very severe service, but it has been known to idle some. Generally sees 20 miles each way for a commute and it's practically our only car on the weekend since it's a little tricky to get a family of four and all the stuff in my Neon. As a rule, it is driven a fair distance multiple times a week, so even if it gets short tripped one day over the weekend, the Monday commute makes up for it.
- I don't know what to do with the TAN number, thoughts? I wasn't able to fine a SN PU 5w30 VOA TAN result.
- I'm very happy with the wear numbers, especially considering it is double the averages, in many cases metals were less than or equal to the averages.
- I'm a pleasantly surprised at the silicon number, mainly because changing the oil filter involves taking the intake tube off that goes from the air box to the throttle body. I'm still on the OEM filter with no plans of changing it any time soon, not very dusty/dirty in our area. I'm going to guess it is going to last until 60k-70k miles.
- The OLM tripped at about 7500 miles during this interval.

My conclusion: I was hoping for more buffer room with the TBN at a 10,000 mile interval. This was my first extended interval oil change on anything other than my work car and I'm glad it went well. However, I like buffer room so I think I'm going to knock the interval back to whatever the OLM says for the rest of this vehicles life. It will get PU for a while as I bought a good supply of it in panic mode when it looked like it wasn't going to be available at Walmart anymore. Since this is our primary car, it goes everywhere and I can't control the use it will receive. If it was a very rigid driving schedule, I'd likely stick to the 10k interval, but we are keeping this van for the long haul (this thing will be drug to the yard when we are done with it, with hopefully a few hundred thousand miles) and I don't want a silly oil change to potentially risk the extended life the engine (overkill, I know). And sending a sample out on a regular basis is simply a waste.

Thoughts?

I think it clearly shows 10k miles is about right. I would continue with that OCI. If you are too concerned swap it at 9k miles and sleep well.

I am using the same combo right now a pure one and PU. Only difference, im using the 5w20.

Last edited:
Sounds like the OLM is configured just about right, considering it's not calibrated for synthetic. I'm running VWB and I bet my UOAs will be bang on following the OLM. We'll see
grin.gif

This is a great report, considering the UA's, strong ending viscosity, high fp, low insols, but I wouldn't run it any further with your TAN/TBN values.

I would do even 10K (easy to remember) intervals with a quality filter for the rest of its life with no worries. You just found the sweet spot here on the first try.

I like easy to remember, but if the OLM is doing the work, no need for the easy to remember :lol:

This looks like a great engine and I think you have to take the TBN/TAN intersection with a grain of salt with these higher quality oils. PU is harder to find as you said but I would put $ on it you could do 10k OCI's with PP with similar results.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
I like easy to remember, but if the OLM is doing the work, no need for the easy to remember :lol:

Yes but your OLM will limit you to short OCI's. The even 10K interval keeps the same reminder convenience as the OLM with extended intervals.

I think it did very well but it sure looks like 10k is the ceiling. Virtually no shear at 10k for a 5w30, amazing!

Originally Posted By: webfors
Sounds like the OLM is configured just about right, considering it's not calibrated for synthetic. I'm running VWB and I bet my UOAs will be bang on following the OLM. We'll see
grin.gif

This is a great report, considering the UA's, strong ending viscosity, high fp, low insols, but I wouldn't run it any further with your TAN/TBN values.

True, but 5w20 is the recommended oil for our 2013s. It had been 5w30 up to 2012.

Meh. I'd just follow the oil life monitor and not scurry around town trying to find Pennzoil Ultra so you can squeeze the last 1K out of your oil change interval.

Think you benefited from an excellent break-in. Manufacturers tell you to have a variable driving style. What could be more variable than having 75 different drivers during break-in? The stereotype is that a rental car is abused, but most rental agencies require 25 yr old or older drivers and most renters are unfamiliar with the territory and driving conservatively looking for their turn, or trying to get through their daily commute while their car is in the shop. No doubt there are a few people who like to drive it hard, but only a few and that contributes to the "variable speed" part. That's proven by the average mph being the same for you as it was for the renters.

P.S. Didn't know these cars had an hours of use and an average mph scale. Those are really handy metrics.

I definitely like the hour meter, average MPH is just calculated, but very handy I agree.

I think I'm going to just stick with the OLM to make life easy and use up the Ultra that I have then switch to something else when that is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back